Finding It Hard To Find The "one" :cry:

italmum

Hi Italimum (your username seems familiar?)

I use this name for ebay lol and on a alfa romeo owners site... so you prob seen it on one of those.

I had a long talk to dh last night and he thinks most prob the best solution is a baby cav...where i am still on the older pup/dog side..just waiting to see what comes along xx thanks for everyone advice!!

I will just say one last thing..it does come down to my parenting when teaching the children how to behave with a puppy, but also my training with the dog on how to behave around children/people. And having had dogs in the past i am very confident that this will be done correctly.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont give up italmum!

when we decided to get a pug it took us almost a year to find anyone who would consider giving us a pup.

we were turned away so many times i lost count, and it was because my OH and I both work full time.

the wait was worth it, now we have bert and his big 'sister' sally.

they live the life of luxury and are healthy, well balanced dogs :)

so dont give up! your little one is out there!

I got an older White Shepherd pup from a breeder whilst I was pregnant. I have a 2 and 4 year old also. I got our whippet when I was pregnant with the 2 year old.

So, I now have a 5 week old baby, a 2 and 4 year old, a 3 year old whippet bitch and an almost 1 year old Shep bitch. All is perfect, harmonious and working very well. I am getting fit, my girls are constantly entertained and the breeder couldnt be happier with the outcome. Both are crate trained, are indoor/outdoor dogs. I closed the dog door so I have full control of the dogs and childrens whereabouts.

There is a puppy farm type Cav set up out our way. They are reg. breeders. They dont show but have over 40 dogs. Stear clear. They were recommended to my friend via a breeder on DOL, they too were after a young adult.

Edited by Chewbacca

There is a puppy farm type Cav set up out our way. They are reg. breeders. They dont show but have over 40 dogs. Stear clear. They were recommended to my friend via a breeder on DOL, they too were after a young adult.

I know who it is so dont worry i am steering clear, I am going to meet with some breeders at the shows etc..just to let people know who i am.

I am glad you were able to find dogs with your kids so young, I think also though the cksc is more of a toy dog, so the breeders are very selective with who they choose. I have shown interest now i a 4 yr old bitch that is going to become avail in june :eek: never been around kids though so i will see where that goes.

I know who it is so dont worry i am steering clear, I am going to meet with some breeders at the shows etc..just to let people know who i am.

I am glad you were able to find dogs with your kids so young, I think also though the cksc is more of a toy dog, so the breeders are very selective with who they choose. I have shown interest now i a 4 yr old bitch that is going to become avail in june :thumbsup:never been around kids though so i will see where that goes.

I personally would be very hesitant to bring a dog that has never been around kids into my home with kids... but thats just me. I hope you can find the perfect dog soon.

Good luck with your search :rofl:
Yeah i am starting to think this is a problem with many mums of young kids
Don't agree with this though. When I was looking for my Cocker my girls were fairly young - oldest was 8, youngest was 18 months old when she came to us so they were quite a bit younger when I first started the search (took a looooooooooong time to get my girl :D ). I don't know the answer to why you aren't having much luck - it might just not be 'your time' :) There will be a pup/dog out there for you that IS the right one :rofl:

i believe in fate...and i am really starting to think its not my time ;)

My childrens ages are 4, 2 and 1...I tend to get the how do i cope now from ppl..and then it begs the question how will i cope with a dog aswell..You just do. and it wont make a difference to me , The dog will be spoilt rotten and have 5 people after its attention.

I have 5 young children and cope perfectly well with our puppy!!! I find the more children you have the more organised you are.

:thumbsup: ;) So true! Personally if I were a breeder I would like families with young children. I see how much enjoyment my dogs and kids get from each other - always someone to play with. Plus, even though we haven't been overly vigilant (OK - really slack) in our training with our eight month old lab he just seems to "know" the routine. Although he really is getting to big too hop in the bath with the kids :rofl:

Although I do admit there are a lot of scarey kids out there so careful screening would be required!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you were able to find dogs with your kids so young, I think also though the cksc is more of a toy dog, so the breeders are very selective with who they choose. I have shown interest now i a 4 yr old bitch that is going to become avail in june :thumbsup:never been around kids though so i will see where that goes.

Id be wary of that, if a dog is around kids from the beginning then they know that these 'little humans' are different to the big ones that feed them, if they have never been around kids they dont know this and might not be as patient when the kids want to give them cuddles (on the floor of course) and brush their hair, a puppy will grow up with the kids and be much more patient with their kiddy antics. By 4 years old a dog has definitely made up their minds on the world and they might be loving with your kids at first, but may not necessarily stay that way.

In your situation I wouldnt look at a dog over 1 if it hasnt been around kids, and even then I wouldnt consider it if the dog didnt live with little kids. I cant remember the ages of your kids but I do remember they are all very little, a 4yo mind is very different to a 6yo mind but Im sure you know that

aww you people are so cute lol

i definately would not just buy the dog and take her home...i would be just as stringent with my children being around the dog, the fact that she has never been around kids is a worrying issue to me .

I stopped a lady walking a 3 month old ckcs out the front of our house today...we had a long talk...and she let my children spend a bit of time with her puppy. i was amazed at how gentle the pup and my kids were- expecially my 1 yr old :thumbsup: ;)!! so i more convinced that they are ready for a dog

aww you people are so cute lol

i definately would not just buy the dog and take her home...i would be just as stringent with my children being around the dog, the fact that she has never been around kids is a worrying issue to me .

I stopped a lady walking a 3 month old ckcs out the front of our house today...we had a long talk...and she let my children spend a bit of time with her puppy. i was amazed at how gentle the pup and my kids were- expecially my 1 yr old ;) ;)!! so i more convinced that they are ready for a dog

Good on you italmum :rofl: Kids and dogs always seems to be a hot topic for debate but IMO if we want responsible dog owners of the future then they need to be involved from a young age. Young children that are taught to respect animals and be involved in their day to day care (mine even have to pick up the poops) will be more likely to grow into repsonsible caring adults who value their pets. And that is what this world defintely needs more of and good on you for being both a great Mum and responsible (potential) dog owner :thumbsup:

My aunt isnt a dog person, she told both her daughters from the time they were babies that they cant get a dog because they are scared of animals, so of course these girls spent their whole lives thinking they were scared of dogs. We soon discovered they were only scared of dogs when their mother was around, they loved my mums Cavs because they were gentle dogs and liked getting cuddles.

Im now proud to report that (I think thanks to their dad) these girls now have a little Maltese X who they absolutely adore, last time I saw the girls the littlest one proudly told me "Im not scared of dogs anymore"

I dont think their mother was very impressed when I took the girls for a pony ride lol, they had never seen a horse in their lives except for on TV

I believe all kids should have a dog (with responsible parents anyway) because it teaches them a lot about life

Italmum something else to consider about getting an older dog is when the dog passes, Id estimate 12 years for a Cav, if you get a 4yo your baby will only be around 8 when the dog is elderly and nearly at that stage...if you get a pup the baby will be 12 and much more ready to accept death than they would at 8

My aunt isnt a dog person, she told both her daughters from the time they were babies that they cant get a dog because they are scared of animals, so of course these girls spent their whole lives thinking they were scared of dogs. We soon discovered they were only scared of dogs when their mother was around, they loved my mums Cavs because they were gentle dogs and liked getting cuddles.

Im now proud to report that (I think thanks to their dad) these girls now have a little Maltese X who they absolutely adore, last time I saw the girls the littlest one proudly told me "Im not scared of dogs anymore"

I dont think their mother was very impressed when I took the girls for a pony ride lol, they had never seen a horse in their lives except for on TV

I believe all kids should have a dog (with responsible parents anyway) because it teaches them a lot about life

Italmum something else to consider about getting an older dog is when the dog passes, Id estimate 12 years for a Cav, if you get a 4yo your baby will only be around 8 when the dog is elderly and nearly at that stage...if you get a pup the baby will be 12 and much more ready to accept death than they would at 8

I feel for children who are not given permission to enjoy animals. Animals of all shapes and sizes are wonder for kids. I have a friend who lives on a farm with her 5 children and husband and she won't allow the kids to have a dog - which is such an enormous pity. When I was discussing dogs for my kids with her she commented that she felt she just couldn't trust a dog with her kids because of all the bad press...

I have another friend who won't allow her kids in their early child hood years to do craft etc at home. That is what playgroup was for she says. My kids paint, playdough, make hats, boats, stick down, cut out, grow veges, play in the dirt, eat the dirt (at certain ages), play in the sandpit, get led around on horses, play with dogs, the list is endless. The older two (5, and TODAY turning 3) play happily outside together for hours on end, and come in filthy and usually wet. This is what childhood should be like, I think. Our house is messy and creative, but mostly pretty clean. Our rainwater tank has a changing mural on it and our concrete paths are ususally covered in coloured chalk. The kids are often in dress ups or no clothes at all (though I've started to discourage nudity in my 5 year old). The collect the eggs, chase the cat, let the chooks out and round them up again. And I have the enormous priveledge and joy of being a SAHM.

Long live kids and dogs and mess and love and music and fingerpaint!

I feel for children who are not given permission to enjoy animals. Animals of all shapes and sizes are wonder for kids. I have a friend who lives on a farm with her 5 children and husband and she won't allow the kids to have a dog - which is such an enormous pity. When I was discussing dogs for my kids with her she commented that she felt she just couldn't trust a dog with her kids because of all the bad press...

I have another friend who won't allow her kids in their early child hood years to do craft etc at home. That is what playgroup was for she says. My kids paint, playdough, make hats, boats, stick down, cut out, grow veges, play in the dirt, eat the dirt (at certain ages), play in the sandpit, get led around on horses, play with dogs, the list is endless. The older two (5, and TODAY turning 3) play happily outside together for hours on end, and come in filthy and usually wet. This is what childhood should be like, I think. Our house is messy and creative, but mostly pretty clean. Our rainwater tank has a changing mural on it and our concrete paths are ususally covered in coloured chalk. The kids are often in dress ups or no clothes at all (though I've started to discourage nudity in my 5 year old). The collect the eggs, chase the cat, let the chooks out and round them up again. And I have the enormous priveledge and joy of being a SAHM.

Long live kids and dogs and mess and love and music and fingerpaint!

YES I AGREE!!

I am a firm beleiver that pets are great for kids...and i have only waited to get a dog once my youngest turned 1 :) Happy birthday to your 3 year old for today!! I have 1 march and 2 april babies :)

And the craft thing is a bit silly...we dont do playgroup..but when renovating our deck, i chose to put a locable gate on it...they have free access to that patio, there is a cubby, easle you name it...its their "messy area" kids need to be kids...otherwise they become terrors haha

I wish i was able to have chickens..i love the idea of collecting eggs in the morning,,my dh is not wanting them here...well thats what our hobby farm is for hehe...thank god for that!

YES I AGREE!!

Funny how you meet people on the net with such a similar outlook. Sometimes I wish I had a "messy area" that was confined to just one part of the house and the half acre we live on, not just the whole jolly lot! OH is just as messy as the kids - and then so am I...

If you didn't live on the other side of the country, I'd suggest we meet up for coffee!

Yes, chooks are great. And fresh eggs are so much better than what passes for eggs in the shops. Our chooks more than pay their own way, and eat alot of the inevitable small children kitchen waste. I'm counting on our puppy eating some of the stuff that is unsuitable for the chooks. (Of course I will feed the pup as per the breeders instructions (just in case anyone reading this worried that my pup was only going to get squashed vegemite sandwiches, leftover lasagne and sausages))

hehe i know what you mean! if i ever move to qld i'll let ya know!

My mil goes back and forth from the farm 4 times a week...i have so many eggs i dont know what to do with them! Everyone that knows me gets a dozen when they visit.

Well my dh is very happy with how the kids reacted to the puppy. So i told him thats it..no longer looking for an older dog..watch this space...this time next week we may have a new lil dog baby boy of our own :)

Oh its good to see parents of young kids giving their children the same sort of upbringing I had back in the 80's/early 90's...before kids had all the rights and made all the decisions

We had a dog and a cat, we had a sandpit (which was uncovered and we frequently dug up cat poo! lol) we ate mud pies made out of the sand from the sandpit the cat used as a toilet and that didnt kill one of us. We had a huge trampoline without safety mats or a fence around the end...we fell off, and we learned not to try and do back flips off it again...we settled for front flips instead, the unfenced trampoline also didnt kill any of us :) and any sort of cement is supposed to be used to make chalk drawings or a hopscotch course

Some kids these days must get so bored :)

Oh its good to see parents of young kids giving their children the same sort of upbringing I had back in the 80's/early 90's...before kids had all the rights and made all the decisions

We had a dog and a cat, we had a sandpit (which was uncovered and we frequently dug up cat poo! lol) we ate mud pies made out of the sand from the sandpit the cat used as a toilet and that didnt kill one of us. We had a huge trampoline without safety mats or a fence around the end...we fell off, and we learned not to try and do back flips off it again...we settled for front flips instead, the unfenced trampoline also didnt kill any of us :) and any sort of cement is supposed to be used to make chalk drawings or a hopscotch course

Some kids these days must get so bored :)

yes some kids do get bored...and i have seen them lol

I am an "83" baby...and i am one of 6 kids..we all had fun ! and thats what you are meant to be doing as a child

yes some kids do get bored...and i have seen them lol

I am an "83" baby...and i am one of 6 kids..we all had fun ! and thats what you are meant to be doing as a child

Agreed, Im an "85" baby and Ill be letting my (in the distant future) kids out to play in the dirt lol, its good for them :)

italmum - I really feel for you, after you have explained your situation it sounds like you would be so committed to the dog and your family would have lots of love to give. I don't think breeders should base their decision on whether you have kids or not, rather it should be based on what is best for the dog. Kids or not doesn't mean the be all and end all surely?!

Don't give up on getting a Cavalier from an excellent registered breeder, it will be worth the wait. My cavalier has the sweetest, loving nature, I can see when I have kids, there will be no problem. He loves everyone and is fearless. Temperament and health are excellent. My breeder was Coatesville, she is listed on DOL in Victoria. She has had a few adults for sale this year, maybe call her up? Actually, if I was you, I would go through all the Vic breeders on this site and ring them up. It can't hurt. If it makes you feel better, If I was a breeder - I would give you a pup! :)

Goodluck !

thanks ! I have actually now been speaking to the people From the Cav association, I am hoping to meet one lady with a 4 month old over the w/e, he looks and sounds like what i am after, other then that i will be going along to one of the shows over easter just to meet some people :) then they will know what i am like in person, not just over the phone.

well. rejected once again.

I am really dissapointed, I spoke to someone who had a dog, now after speaking to her "friend with a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old" she thinks my kids arent ready.

and thats the whole issue i have had - everyone bundling me into the same basket as everyone else.. I had a lil sob...Do people not know the heartache that they are putting me through atm.

Maybe just not meant to be.

thanks everyone..this seems to be pointless.