Kibble Recommendations?

Jetty

After reading the supercoat thread I have decided to change the dry food I feed the dogs. I was just wanting to know if anyone had any recommendations.

Jet has been scratching lately and I do actually feel that it must be his supercoat. I have gone down other avenues and this is the conclusion I have come to. Jessie on the other hand is a picky eater and at 9 years old, she will probably do better on a 'senior' dry food.

They will usually get some chicken necks or something similar in there diet as well daily.

Can anyone help? Preferably not a brand that will put a hole in my pocket. I usually buy dry food from City Farmers. Jet has previously been on Advanced but I was not happy with that either.

Edited by jettyjet

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many will not agree and will tell you that it is rubbish but I cannot recommend Great Barko/Uncle Albers more highly.

My dogs which are fed these products are as fat as mud and as shiny as wet seals. The longhaired dogs do well on it and the smooth haired dogs positively gleam. Teeth are clean (they get bones as well though) and no issues with itchies or yeasty smelling ears.

My Stafford bitch was not being fed this immediately during weaning and lost condition AND scratched all of her back hair out, but since putting her back onto GB/UA the hair has grown back, she has put on weight and many who saw her at a show the other weekend (she went for a social outing) were amazed and said that they wouldn't have thought she had had a litter of 9 only 4 months before.

Editing to add: It is also kind to the budget. 22kg for around the $35 mark depending upon where I buy it.

Edited by ellz

I have never heard of that brand ellz. Is it easily available at most pet supply stores?

It is manufactured by Laucke Mills in South Australia and should be readily available at the larger places. If not, they could probably get it in. Many rural suppliers have it as well.

The Uncle Albers is higher in fat than the Great Barko. I should advise you though that I don't follow the recommended feeding amounts. If I did that, I'd have whales, not dogs! :eek:

I have never heard of that brand ellz. Is it easily available at most pet supply stores?

It is manufactured by Laucke Mills in South Australia and should be readily available at the larger places. If not, they could probably get it in. Many rural suppliers have it as well.

The Uncle Albers is higher in fat than the Great Barko. I should advise you though that I don't follow the recommended feeding amounts. If I did that, I'd have whales, not dogs! :laugh:

:eek: really? Jet is at a great weight and I feed him not by the amount on the packet but by the amount I feel is enough for him instead. I haven't had a problem so far doing that so I don't plan on changing it. The amount on the supercoat I feel is a bit too much.

I changed my Shih Tzu and Retriever from Supercoat to Uncle Albers as the retriever needed to put on some weight and I wanted something with a higher fat content. But he doesn't like the uncle Albers :eek: I bought a dog roll and have been mixing it in but he doesn't eat very much of the dry food at all. Bit counter productive when I want him to gain weight. I now have this huge bag of food I want to go through.

Any suggestions Ellz on what would be a good one to add so he'll like the taste?

JettyJet - Don't know where you are in Brisbane but I got Uncle Albers from a pet produce shop at Browns Plains. It was the last bag but they definitely stock it.

We feed Uncle Albers here too - my GSD girl and my Greyhound Foster Boy both love it and do really well on it, nice weight (whereas Sophie was impossible to keep weight on with Eukanuba) and shiny shiny shiny coats. I'm on Brisbane Northside and drive half an hour to Caboolture to get it every three weeks and it's so worth the trip. Next time i'm just going to bulk up and get 3-4bags. It's wonderful stuff.

I have just looked at the website and there is a place in Beenleigh that sells it. Thanks, I will look into it. The only concern I have with that one is if it has a high fat content will it not be suitable for Jet. He has a stocky build and I think he is at a good weight now. I just don't want him to put on weight which is unnecissary.

I have just looked at the website and there is a place in Beenleigh that sells it. Thanks, I will look into it. The only concern I have with that one is if it has a high fat content will it not be suitable for Jet. He has a stocky build and I think he is at a good weight now. I just don't want him to put on weight which is unnecissary.

If you have problems with them putting on weight just cut the amount down. :)

I changed my Shih Tzu and Retriever from Supercoat to Uncle Albers as the retriever needed to put on some weight and I wanted something with a higher fat content. But he doesn't like the uncle Albers :bolt: I bought a dog roll and have been mixing it in but he doesn't eat very much of the dry food at all. Bit counter productive when I want him to gain weight. I now have this huge bag of food I want to go through.

Any suggestions Ellz on what would be a good one to add so he'll like the taste?

JettyJet - Don't know where you are in Brisbane but I got Uncle Albers from a pet produce shop at Browns Plains. It was the last bag but they definitely stock it.

I did the switch too, based on recommendations here and the $$ factor, $31 for 22kgs for GB/UA vs $53 for 18kgs of Supercoat. Initally both dogs were doing great on it, looked good, had energy and poos were good. But they have slowly gone off it, like your dogs have. The only one that they will eat is GB and that is with a tin of Sardines mixed in. My parents Lab othe other hand LOVES it and has never looked better.

I am now trying to decide whether I will stick with it, or try something else like Optimum. I may even look at going back to SuperCoat, if I do, it shall be interesting, as my Rottys FAD has settled right down, but I did change flea regimes at the same time.

I ran out the other day, and so did the distributor :wave: not happy!! I ended up with a bag of Pedigree Natural, the dogs LOVE it, they scoff the stuff, not too sure if I will stick with it though... Will see what happens

When you are considering the prices also look at it at price per KG and how much you'll need to feed. My guys have done well ont he UA/GB but i'm putting them back onto Royal Canin to see if i can kick the last of one of my guys allergies. However it isn't cheap, but half their diet will be meaty bones the bag will go a long way.

But if you are or were buying Advance, then Proplan/Royal Canin/Nutrience etc aren't too differently priced and many will do deals of $20 off the large bags, or extra couple of kgs for the price etc - just keep an eye out.

KitKat - I ended up getting a bag of the Royal Canin. I started them on it last night. I will also be giving them bones and some meats everyday to keep a balance. It was around $20 for a 2 kg bag but I don't think it will go to quickly. I started off with the small bag just to see how they go on it.

Whats the GB/UA like coming out the other end????

My 5 months old GSP has been on Bonnie puppy and doing fine but I just can't get over the amount of Poo that comes out of him! I'm seriously considering changing over to something else to see if that helps but like the OP want to keep it relatively kind on the wallet!