Dogz N Vines

sandgrubber

Are dogs and vines a good mix? would love to hear from anyone with a few dogs who lives on a grape growing property.

I've been looking at a flight plan to get out of WA kennel zone for a couple years now. I'm a US/Oz dual national, which gives a few advantages. Looking at a beautiful 13+ acre property in California with pond, great soil, lovely environment, and excellent bore . . . 8 acres in Pinot Noir with documented returns from grape sales. I breed Labradors on a small scale (mostly chocolate).

Love to hear from anyone with relevant experience.

Edited by sandgrubber

I was given a book Wine Dogs for Christmas, very amusing reading it is in all the shops, would appear that almost every winery has a dog of some description, some purebreds some mutts. Apparently the author wrote the book as every vineyard he visited had a resident dog.

Tempus Two has a stafford :eek:

I was given a book Wine Dogs for Christmas, very amusing reading it is in all the shops, would appear that almost every winery has a dog of some description, some purebreds some mutts. Apparently the author wrote the book as every vineyard he visited had a resident dog.

Tempus Two has a stafford :eek:

lol, a friend of ours dog is in that book :laugh:

Plenty of people around here that have dogs and vines. Unless your dogs are obsessive about eating the grapes then I dont think it's an issue :laugh:

I live in the Barossa of South Australia...we have some of the best vineyards in the world here. Our 5 acre property is surounded by old Shiraz and Riesling grapes.

We own an Australian Cattle Dog and are awaiting the arrival of our new Labrador puppy in 3 weeks. Our ACD has no problems with the grapes. She likes to lie in the shade of the vines on a hot summers day.

The chooks however will eat all the grapes when given half a chance :eek:

We'd love to grow Pinot grapes...my favourite wine :laugh: , but it's not quite the right climate...

Great story. I wasn't planning on raising baboons. Labs are trouble enough thank you. They do tend to eat anything and everything so I guess caution is advised. But could can keep 'em in the house paddock when the crop is ripe and sweet.

Chocolate labs should be OK, it's baboons you want to avoid in a vineyard:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36005735/ns/world_news-africa/

Edited by sandgrubber

I recently visited Helen's Hill Winery in Coldstream, Vic. They have two labs Brutus and Caesar, who according to the vintners received more Christmas cards than they do. They accompany their owners around the vineyard and when we met them they were hanging around the tasting area.

Tempus Two has a stafford :D

My parents own a winery in the Barossa Valley and have two dogs that feature in that book - Lightening the Kelpie and Jack the BC.

Most wineries that I can think of have dogs either as pets or working dogs. Mum and Dad also own a farm so they are working dogs but go everywhere with Dad including to the winery and out in the vineyards. My two dogs love nothing more than going for a run in the vineyards chasing the bunny rabbits :rofl:

I have a small grape vine growing in my backyard, along one our fence lines, not quite the same as on a large scale LOL.

I've been wondering if the Cavs will eat any of the grapes, but so far they don't seem interested in them.

All the best Sandgrubber if you decide to go for it ! :rofl:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Are dogs and vines a good mix? would love to hear from anyone with a few dogs who lives on a grape growing property.

I've been looking at a flight plan to get out of WA kennel zone for a couple years now. I'm a US/Oz dual national, which gives a few advantages. Looking at a beautiful 13+ acre property in California with pond, great soil, lovely environment, and excellent bore . . . 8 acres in Pinot Noir with documented returns from grape sales. I breed Labradors on a small scale (mostly chocolate).

Love to hear from anyone with relevant experience.

I use to own a vineyard and had various dogs over the years grow up and live out there lives on the property. Some would pick the grapes from the vines occassionally or eat the dried sultana's as we use to dry as well as wine. The only time I needed to take any of my dogs to the vet,(except for vaccinations) was from snake bite. They would also pick oranges and mandarins, break open the walnuts and eat the nuts. Good luck with your property, it's a great lifestyle, one I miss immensley!