Lens Help

iltby

Hey guys,

I'd really like to get my mum a proper macro lens, so I'm looking at the Sigma 105mm, the Tamron 90mm and the Tokina 100mm...I can't afford the Canon. Just wondering what the major differences are between the 3. Also, one of the Tokina ones has Pro D in the title and the other, for $100 less, doesn't...what does Pro D mean? :)

TIA!

Edited by iltby™

Hey guys,

I'd really like to get my Mum a proper macro lens, so I'm looking at the Sigma 105mm, the Tamron 90mm and the Tokina 100mm...I can't afford the Canon. Just wondering what the major differences are between the 3. Also, one of the Tokina ones has Pro D in the title and the other, for $100 less, doesn't...what does Pro D mean? :rofl:

TIA!

Ooh a topic after my own heart... I've been looking into these too... For me it is a choice between the Sigma and the Tamron, but would need to get a sample first before the purchase as there are issues with AF mechanisms on the Sigma.

Both are meant to be razor sharp and very good Macro lenses. The 15mm further reach might be the decider for me on Sigma though :)

Tokina is one I'd stay away from (their flagship is the 12-24).

All three lenses have advantages and disadvantages. Of the three, the Tamron 90 has the slowest autofocus according to some friends who have used at least two of those listed.

I adore my Sigma lenses (don't have their macros) and have never had a problem - always perfect out of the box.