Crate Size

Mas1981

Hi MM

I would think you would be better off with an ex large crate for a lab, I use xl for my Boxers, sure they may fit into a smaller one but why not give them a bit of room. Take your dog down to the shop/dealer with you and try them out!

Cheers

Hogz

Are they supposed to be able to sit upright without touching the top of the crate or is it mainly for lying down only? I have never had a crate before so I have no clue. Everyone I know with a Goldie or lab says the 42" are way too big for their dogs.

Friend of mine got a 42' one and struggled to fit it anywhere cause it was SO big and is really not very transportable!

I would say it would be too big for a lab, and you will probably find that ur dog will only lay down in it anywhere dogs dont usually sit in one spot for very long they prefer to lay down :laugh:

Friend of mine got a 42' one and struggled to fit it anywhere cause it was SO big and is really not very transportable!

I would say it would be too big for a lab, and you will probably find that ur dog will only lay down in it anywhere dogs dont usually sit in one spot for very long they prefer to lay down ;)

Yes friends of mine are saying that with a 42" its hard to take it anywhere. I think I need a bigger car I only have a Getz so who knows how me, Mason and the crate are going to fit in the car :laugh: How much smaller are the soft ones when they are folded??

This size (102cm) will be big enough I think:

Soft Crate XL

The main thing is the length - measure Mason from nose to base of tail. If he is longer that 95cm get him the next size up. He needs a little bit of room at his head. Even if he is a large dog compared to the standard 69cm should be tall enough for him to get up and turn around.

Btw I have purchased from that ebay store before - crates + service were good. :laugh:

Soft Crate XL

The main thing is the length - measure Mason from nose to base of tail. If he is longer that 95cm get him the next size up. He needs a little bit of room at his head. Even if he is a large dog compared to the standard 69cm should be tall enough for him to get up and turn around.

Btw I have purchased from that ebay store before - crates + service were good. :laugh:

From his butt to the top of his head he is around 80cm, I am just so worried that I order a crate and it doesnt fit in my car! Think I need to measure the car as well ;)

That site looks good however thats a bit more money than I am looking to pay at the moment, I am heading to Better Pets and Gardens later so I will get a price from them too. I would really like a used one though.

Soft Crate XL

From his butt to the top of his head he is around 80cm, I am just so worried that I order a crate and it doesnt fit in my car! Think I need to measure the car as well ;)

That site looks good however thats a bit more money than I am looking to pay at the moment, I am heading to Better Pets and Gardens later so I will get a price from them too. I would really like a used one though.

If you find much cheaper than that and the quality is good - let me know! :happydance:

I fit that size crate into my Honda Jazz by folding it up and putting one of the back seats down, then I slide it in lengthways.

Soft Crate XL

If you find much cheaper than that and the quality is good - let me know! :happydance:

I fit that size crate into my Honda Jazz by folding it up and putting one of the back seats down, then I slide it in lengthways.

I think the Jazz may be a bit bigger than the Getz, I will measure my car later as well, Rubystar has 2 diff sizes so I am going to ask her if i can take Mason over to her place and try him in each size.

Both my BC girls have 36" soft crates. I like them to have space especially when we are spending all day at a trial. They would be a lot smaller then your average lab - my youngster is 14kg and 45cm tall and my older one is 17kg and 46cm tall. They have the large brand K9 Royale ones. They could possibly both have got the M/L size but they wouldn't have had quite as much room especially my older girl.

It also gives me the option of putting 2 dogs in one while at training if I don't want to take them both with me.

Reading the dogs listed for each size - the Labs are down for the Large in the K9 Softcrates - this is the best seller on Ebay I think for soft crates http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K9-LARGE-ROYALE2-SO...=item3a5911dfe8

The crates are fantastic quality, the seller is amazing and very very helpful... postage is fast and I've got 2 of the XL crates for my GSP's - both have been bought for puppies and have had them sleep in them every night. We have travelled with the older boy and his crate on several occasions, they are easy enough to fold down into the boot of the car and the puppy (now 19 weeks old) love his too! ... had no issues with either boy chewing the crates at all and both look in almost perfect condition still (1 is 3mths old and the other is 18mths old ....)

(oh and no the seller isn't me but I've had several dealings with her over the last couple of years for a number of items)

Reading the dogs listed for each size - the Labs are down for the Large in the K9 Softcrates - this is the best seller on Ebay I think for soft crates http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K9-LARGE-ROYALE2-SO...=item3a5911dfe8

The crates are fantastic quality, the seller is amazing and very very helpful... postage is fast and I've got 2 of the XL crates for my GSP's - both have been bought for puppies and have had them sleep in them every night. We have travelled with the older boy and his crate on several occasions, they are easy enough to fold down into the boot of the car and the puppy (now 19 weeks old) love his too! ... had no issues with either boy chewing the crates at all and both look in almost perfect condition still (1 is 3mths old and the other is 18mths old ....)

(oh and no the seller isn't me but I've had several dealings with her over the last couple of years for a number of items)

Thanks FionaC I will go and take a look.

Both my BC girls have 36" soft crates. I like them to have space especially when we are spending all day at a trial. They would be a lot smaller then your average lab - my youngster is 14kg and 45cm tall and my older one is 17kg and 46cm tall. They have the large brand K9 Royale ones. They could possibly both have got the M/L size but they wouldn't have had quite as much room especially my older girl.

It also gives me the option of putting 2 dogs in one while at training if I don't want to take them both with me.

Yeah Mason would be a lot bigger than them he weighs around 32Kg, not sure how tall he is though :laugh: He is the same height as another collie we know though, he isnt a tall dog at all.

I bought my first crate which is a 36" from a Lab breeder. She uses that size for all her dogs ;)

As far as soft crates go we have the K9+ Royale in an XL and I can't recommend them highly enough - excellent crates and the lady that sells them is absolutely lovely to deal with. I'm sure if you gave her a call she would be more than happy to recommend the right size for your dog :laugh:

If you are looking for something a little cheaper than that try here: http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Lightwe...y-161p14748.htm This crate would be the right size for a lab. While they don't have as many features as the K9+ crates they are still pretty good and very reasonably priced.

Also be sure to consider the size of your car if you are wanting to take the crate out with you. No point having a huge crate that you can't fit in the car!

eta: linky to the lab sized K9+ Royale: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K9-LARGE-ROYALE2-SO...=item3a5911dfe8

We have the next size up which fits a Ridgie :happydance:

Edited by SecretKei

Also be sure to consider the size of your car if you are wanting to take the crate out with you. No point having a huge crate that you can't fit in the car!

ahhh very very true - I should add that we have a Kia 4wd and a Magna so plenty of room in both for luggage ... we don't travel with the crates up/open (our boys travel in car harnesses in the back seats) so our crates travel folded up in the boot of the car

ahhh very very true - I should add that we have a Kia 4wd and a Magna so plenty of room in both for luggage ... we don't travel with the crates up/open (our boys travel in car harnesses in the back seats) so our crates travel folded up in the boot of the car

Same here. I wanted an XXL sized crate for my boy but there was NO WAY it was going to fit in my car :laugh: We bought the XL instead. Still plenty of room for Kei and it fits in the car fine ;)

If I had a reasonably large lab I would probably go for the 42" if you could fit it in the car. It would allow you have the dog in the there for a reasonable length of time with it being to cramped (like if you needed to crate the dog when your away or something).

Guess it also depends what your intention is for the crate. If your talking short term confinement for shorter lengths of time such as going to training then you could possibly get away with a slightly smaller crate and go with the 36" one.