Trialling And Eye Contact

Thanks, it's not easy to find people to run their hand over your dog, I just haven't found myself in the situation where I've had the urge to ask someone "can you please pat my dog?". I think perhaps it is something we should do at training, taking turns at running hands over dogs, so they get lots of practice with lots of different people.

Do you get your results on the day or do you have to wait for them?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, it's not easy to find people to run their hand over your dog, I just haven't found myself in the situation where I've had the urge to ask someone "can you please pat my dog?". I think perhaps it is something we should do at training, taking turns at running hands over dogs, so they get lots of practice with lots of different people.

In QLD the judge will get the steward to write your results up on the board outside the ring once you're finished ;)

It can be tricky to get people to help you do a SFE, I grab as many random people as I can when I am at training or when people come over etc.

Ask anyone at a trial or training/ring runouts. Nobody will mind as most have been there and it is a great way to get to know people. An ice breaker we can all relate to. :rofl:

Ask anyone at a trial or training/ring runouts. Nobody will mind as most have been there and it is a great way to get to know people. An ice breaker we can all relate to. :rofl:

Oh that's a good idea, I'll do that.

Goodie, hope we pass!

Hi Jeanne,

Best of luck in your trial. Going first is the best. For one thing, it doesn't help to watch the other people before you go in.

If they are brilliant you get depressed, and if they are working at a low standard you absorb what you see and it can make

you work worse than you would if you hadn't watched them, (if you get my drift).

:thumbsup:

In your mind, pretend you are a genius handler with a brilliant dog who has been hired to give a demonstration to show how

it should be done, then go in and live the fantasy. I'm serious, this really works and is a positive technique for all your

trials. Run through it the night before, in your mind and do it on the day. Don't forget to warm your dog up for a minute or so

before you enter the ring. And forget about everything except your footwork and signals, and above all enjoy your day.

luvsablue & beckie the blue dog.

:rofl:

Wonderful advise Beckie, I'll keep it in mind!!

Footwork, ack, for the first time I've actually begun to take notice of what I'm doing and have realised I am completely inconsistent! So I've been trying to form habits over the past few days but they just aren't forming quickly enough :thumbsup: Poor Berri just does what he's told, regardless of how hopeless I am :rofl:

I'm confused, I can tell I'm going to lose a lot of points on the weekend (all through my own faults!). So technically it would be ok if I stood feet slightly apart (he comes in and stops with his feet between mine) and my hands grasped in front BEFORE I call him, it shouldn't be an issue when I call him and have my hands like this? What about down the track when I want to finish him, obviously my hands will then move to the side and my feet will have to come together, will I be penalised?

I think I'll learn a lot through stewarding this weekend as well!

Can you look at the dog when you stop or down or stand or whatever? I don't want to hit him in the face if I don't look down and just swipe my hand in front of him!

Another suggestion is to get on youtube and search CCD trials (there's some brilliant ones out there). I found it helped to watch others going through a trial and the different things to expect from judges - you can also learn from the mistakes others might make :rofl:

Wonderful advise Beckie, I'll keep it in mind!!

Footwork, ack, for the first time I've actually begun to take notice of what I'm doing and have realised I am completely inconsistent! So I've been trying to form habits over the past few days but they just aren't forming quickly enough :) Poor Berri just does what he's told, regardless of how hopeless I am :mad

[/quote ]

Hi Jeanne

Footwork, no not ack.

Try drawing (maybe with a can of spray paint) your footsteps for eg a right turn on the grass then following them. This is great for right about turns and left about turns.

Very helpful when you come to do UD gloves etc. And good for figure eights.

Don't accept that you are (your words) hopeless.

Remember precise footwork is really the same as clear signals, because they shouldn't be rushed or carelessly done. How can your dog learn from them what you mean if they are

always different? or as you say inconsistent.

luvsablue

(beckie is the name of my dog)

Thats the best way, I always traing footwork for me seperate to doggy training. Especially if I am trying to change something or learn something new.

Great entertainment for the neighbours too - been there, done that :)

PS It does work though :)

Thats the best way, I always traing footwork for me seperate to doggy training. Especially if I am trying to change something or learn something new.

Great entertainment for the neighbours too - been there, done that :)

PS It does work though :)

:) Yep lucky I don't have any that can see me - the upside of acerage!

Well it did work against us being first this morning, I didn't "know" how to warm him up (whether you could use treats outside the ring etc) so we didn't warm up and he missed out by 2 points on qualifying in the heeling (there were cows in the next paddock he was watching).

BUT he scored 86 this afternoon and came 2ND PLACE!!! So, very proud mummy here to say the least :)

Well it did work against us being first this morning, I didn't "know" how to warm him up (whether you could use treats outside the ring etc) so we didn't warm up and he missed out by 2 points on qualifying in the heeling (there were cows in the next paddock he was watching).

BUT he scored 86 this afternoon and came 2ND PLACE!!! So, very proud mummy here to say the least :laugh:

The hardest part is over you've done your first trial.

Glad to hear you had a good time :)

I'm stoked... And I think maybe a little bit hooked?? :)

Can't wait to do a bit more obedience with Mango and get her into the trials too! She's only 5 months old but LOVES to heel and picks new things up really quickly.

I was worried he'd fall apart, but the judge this morning was laughing because he just got better and better, from not paying attention in the beginning to a perfect figure 8 once he'd warmed himself up.

Well done! Bother those cows though!

Bother our lack of training with distractions, really. We've been to training once this year (got started on agility instead) so haven't practiced at all with distractions. It's amazing he got a qualifying score at all, let alone 2nd place! Our only practice with the figure 8 was around pillows on the lounge room floor, yet that was his strongest point :eek: