Whining When Restrained..

MavericksMission

My 14 week old, Koolie Cross Husky puppy whines whenever he is restrained.

I am trying to get him used to being restrained and held, for when he goes to the vets.

When I lightly restrain him, wether it be holding him on my lap, holding him on the floor or lying him down on the floor.. he continuously whines..

Not in pain, just like a whining noise and he does not stop.

I try not let go when he whines, I don't want him to think that if he whines, I will let go, therefore he wins!

Has anyone experienced this?

Will he grow out of it?

Should I keep persisting?

Any ideas?

He is not on the lead when I am restraining him.

Just sitting on the floor or the couch.

He does know how to sit, drop and stay.

He is fine when he is just sitting or laying, but if I have to restrain him (put a little pressure to hold him still) for the vet he just whines and whines.

Id be working on little things first, get him used to getting handled, checking his ears and playing with his feet, give him tummy rubs, check his teeth, things like that to get him used to being handled

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Have you tried treating your little guy when restrained? I needed to wipe my little staffy's belly down when he got a rash. This is what I did to get him resting on me calmly. I laid him on my thighs belly up and gave him a small piece of liver treat and told him he was a good boy. I kept feeding him small amounts of liver treats and telling him what a good little guy he was for hanging out belly up so well. When he relaxed a bit and was focused on the treats I wiped his belly over then gave him some more treats talking to him all the while and kept repeating this till I got the job done. It took more treats than wiping the first time around, but now he'll happily lay on me belly up while I inspect or wipe his skin over.

I agree with what GoldenGirl85 said getting him used to being touched. But suggest you use treats to get him really comfortable with it.

I also take a pocket of treats with me to the vet's.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

MavericksMission

I hope that your issue has subsided by now. If not here are a few ideas:

1. Check out the info on handling and gentling from DogStarDaily including the article at http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/handling-and-gentling and the videos at
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/dogstars/video...est?filter0=164.
  2. This might all just be too much for your pup - try backing off from the full on restraining and go back to basics. You could get yourself a clicker and treats (or just say yes and give treats). Touch the pup somewhere, quickly and lightly - somewhere you know that they will accept and click (or say yes) and treat. Gradually build up to more and more contact, and then slight hold and then release, etc.
  3. If your pup won't even accept the first steps without whining then you can try touch and contact with different surfaces like feathers, paint brushes and all sorts and then get to hands. I know you said the issue was restraint - but if the underlying issue is anyway related to touch and contact then this will help through it. If not -its good experience for you and the pup anyway. For some dogs putting on a tshirt or dog coat that is in firm (but not tight) contact all around their body or a body wrap can help them with all sorts of issues - including making them less stressed about touch and restraint. If you're interested in all of this, and even some specific and amazing touches (from TTouch) then check out your newsagent for a copy of the magazine 'Unlock Your Dog's Potential' for about $15 or I can suggest some websites - but the mag tells you more.

Let us know how you go.