Weight Loss

My little girl has loss 1.5kg, which is almost half her body weight, in 3 weeks. She is a very picky eater and will flat out refuse to eat anything I give her. She weighed in at 3.5kg 3 weeks ago and today she weighed in at 1.9kg.

Is there something I could give her to put her lost weight back on, I have tried nutrigel but she doesnt like it. I have cooked chicken, mince, given her devon, rew chicken, raw mince, eggs, bought chicken (KFC) BUT NOTHING, JUST A NIBBLE AND THATS IT.

Any suggestions before I go crazy!!!!

My little girl has loss 1.5kg, which is almost half her body weight, in 3 weeks. She is a very picky eater and will flat out refuse to eat anything I give her. She weighed in at 3.5kg 3 weeks ago and today she weighed in at 1.9kg.

Is there something I could give her to put her lost weight back on, I have tried nutrigel but she doesnt like it. I have cooked chicken, mince, given her devon, rew chicken, raw mince, eggs, bought chicken (KFC) BUT NOTHING, JUST A NIBBLE AND THATS IT.

Pure breed have you consulted the vet to see if there is an underlying problem? Sorry I cant see what breed you have to make any further comment maybe you tell tell the group the breed and the age and a few more details ?

:laugh:

Pure breed have you consulted the vet to see if there is an underlying problem? Sorry I cant see what breed you have to make any further comment maybe you tell tell the group the breed and the age and a few more details ?

I see its a Min Pin and 2 years old this a previous post by you may have a bearing on the weight loos as well...3rd Feb 2010 - 06:12 PM Post #1

Any help advise greatly appriciated.

My dog has had 3 seizures in the past 9 months, each lasting about 5 mins (I think it felt like an eternity), he thrashes about, has alot of spit comming out of his mouth and then when the seizure is over he sleeps rock solid for roughly 9-10 hrs, I physically have to shake him to wake him up. I have taken him to my vet and he has run liver function tests and done a full physical on him, the tests come back all clear and he is in perfect health. The vet has told me there is no test that can test for epilepsy and the vet has advised me to get a cat scan on his head to rule out a brain tumour as well.

What I would like to know is does a dogs personality change with epilepsy as my boy has changed dramatically, he is now very anxious and has developed a very nasty streak, I know he doesn't mean to do the things he does its as if he cant help himself, he will scratch my face when I am holding him and bite my other dogs for no reason.

Also the cat scan is going to be inexcess of $2000.00 and I wont be able to come up with the money for a little bit, is there another way to find out if it is a tumor or epilepsy.

Cheers in advance.

Did you get any tests done for this Purebreed ?

Different dog, thats my boy. I did get the cat scan all clear.

My girl is 14mths, mini pin, she was at the vet today and the vet could find nothing to be causing the sudden weight loss. She broke her arm 3 weeks ago and went in for a bandage change/check up.

Is there something I could suggest to my vet she checks??

My girl is 14mths, mini pin, she was at the vet today and the vet could find nothing to be causing the sudden weight loss. She broke her arm 3 weeks ago and went in for a bandage change/check up.

I would get blood tests to test how all her organs are functioning like thyroid and get her blood sugar tested. With the Nutrigel my cat hates it to however I just smear it on her and she HAS to lick it off. HAs your dog been eating normally? What food is she on? Do your dogs eat together and do you watch to make sure one isnt eating all the food? Is she maybe crate bound due to her broken bone and is maybe depressed and has lost a bit of muscle?

Edited by Masons_mom

I would get blood tests to test how all her organs are functioning like thyroid and get her blood sugar tested. With the Nutrigel my cat hates it to however I just smear it on her and she HAS to lick it off. HAs your dog been eating normally? What food is she on? Do your dogs eat together and do you watch to make sure one isnt eating all the food? Is she maybe crate bound due to her broken bone and is maybe depressed and has lost a bit of muscle?

She has not eaten normally for about 2weeks, usually she would eat breakfast, small lunch, dinner, now its a nibble once or twice a day, she is on proplan puppy with an assortment of different foods (first post). The 2 eat together but they never steal each others food, I always supervise meal times. She seems herself, bright happy, alert so not depressed, didnt know they could lose muscle.

Thats great she has been at the vets, so they are aware of the weight loss, I gather they were not concerened? If she has been an active dog ( I have never known a Min Pin to be still lol) maybe her arm injury has lost some muscle and with her not moving as much she is not inclined to eat as much, but it seems a lot of weight. I can only comment from when my old girl wouldnt eat and I got her to eat by hand feeding her, it turned out she had Pancreatitis.

Sorry not much help, but I am sure someone on the forum will have some good advice.

is she sterilized ??

Agree what is her normal diet,what has her breeder suggested??

She is not sterilized, breeder is unreachable :driving:

You havent mentioned wether she is still pooing and weeing...... Also do you notice if she is drinking more, less or same amount of water.

I have had a young dog who at times would go off his food and then i would notice he was having trouble pooing.... yet whenever I got up to go out he would jump out and run along with me.

Turned out he was prone to have bowel blockage. After that i tried to keep him away from bones, dead birds, mice etc.

The poo is always a big first indicator to the health of your dog. Perhaps even a sample to the vet might help them diagnose.

You know the old saying..... if you don't shit you die......

best of luck to your girl.

when was she last in season

She has not been in season as yet.

You havent mentioned wether she is still pooing and weeing...... Also do you notice if she is drinking more, less or same amount of water.

I have had a young dog who at times would go off his food and then i would notice he was having trouble pooing.... yet whenever I got up to go out he would jump out and run along with me.

Turned out he was prone to have bowel blockage. After that i tried to keep him away from bones, dead birds, mice etc.

The poo is always a big first indicator to the health of your dog. Perhaps even a sample to the vet might help them diagnose.

You know the old saying..... if you don't shit you die......

best of luck to your girl.

She is weeing normal, she has diarreah (excuse the spelling) but it seems to be clearing up. Drinking about the same amount of water. Hand feeding used to work but not any more. I will get my vet to do the thyroid test and give her a complete physical - blood tests, temp checks ect, at her next bandage change.

Edited by pure_breed

Sometimes using Pentavite Childrens multivitamin drops or Nutradrops will be enough to give them that extra boost to get them eating again.

I have found that if they are feeling down they sometimes need this to build them up a bit so they feel like eating again.

It is worth a try!

Good Luck with the vet and keep trying to reach the breeder I am sure they would like to know or even have some advice.

Let us all know how you go .

:)

Sometimes using Pentavite Childrens multivitamin drops or Nutradrops will be enough to give them that extra boost to get them eating again.

I have found that if they are feeling down they sometimes need this to build them up a bit so they feel like eating again.

It is worth a try!

Could she be in pain or discomfort due to the leg break and is off her food because of it? Is it healing well, or could there be something that is not right with the leg?

I would also be pushing the vet for an underlying cause, but no ideas on what it could be sorry.

Have you tried the fat/satin ball recipe that you make up yourself. I have been feeding it to my girl to put weight on her, shes a finicky eater but she loves them and it does work wonders.

I'd be consulting a canine nutritionalist/naturopath if I were you. She needs to eat and there must be some reason why she is not. Picky or not, she needs nutrition and that would be one of the first things I'd be concerned about that she's not receiving. "Picky" might not be simply her being "fussy". Possibly it's a nausea that is causing the problem. A nutritionalist/naturopath (or a Vet who has a background knowledge in canine nutritional/digestive disorders) might be able to suggest holistic medications (eg digestive enzymes etc) to help with these sort of things.

That she has lost half her body weight is a real concern, assuming she wasn't obese in the first place.

ETA : This is only an outside chance, but if she's broken her leg I wonder if the position of eating is uncomfortable for her. Have you experimented with that? I'm doubting this is the answer, but worth a thought, perhaps.

I'd also check her temperature to make sure she has no fever/infection.

Edited by Erny

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the fat/satin ball recipe that you make up yourself. I have been feeding it to my girl to put weight on her, shes a finicky eater but she loves them and it does work wonders.

I have not heard of this recipe, would you be able to let me know it please, she is having a bandage change/check up on Monday so I am going to get my vet to do the full works on her. She is still just nibbling her food and I am quite frantic now as she looks horrible, I have not weighed her as I dont want to know, but she looks like she has lost more weight, I just dont want to loose her.