Fat Labradors: A Thought

sandgrubber

Don't know how to use the quote button but blacklab I totally argee with your comment

People are too willing to see a poorly breed lab with not enough bone and too much length of leg and say it's the best looking lab they've ever seen

I wonder how many people think Teddy is too fat?

385361949.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how to use the quote button but blacklab I totally argee with your comment
People are too willing to see a poorly breed lab with not enough bone and too much length of leg and say it's the best looking lab they've ever seen

385361949.jpg

To me he doesnt look fat because he has a waist but maybe others would disagree with me?

"Misty is a nicely bred and fully matured dog who looks like a labrador should." I might pont out that Misty was less than two years old when that pic was taken so still has some maturing to do....

A long standing labrador breeder in our area has proved over and over again that dogs bred for and do well in the show ring also excell in trials and do a hard days work because they are structurally correct.....in my mind there is only one labrador not "show" and "working" labradors......

Edited by mikelli

385361949.jpg

Teddy looks super, she is a beautiful girl :thumbsup:

385361949.jpg

To me he doesnt look fat because he has a waist but maybe others would disagree with me?

He is a she :thumbsup: and that how i like my Labs, i keep mine lean until they are 2 then prefer them to fill out a bit more

.....in my mind there is only one labrador not "show" and "working" labradors......

It certainly seems to be more the case with Labs than some other breeds. My Goldie is show lines, seems to have the right genetics for field work (despite only beginning the work at nearly 10 years of age), but I've met Goldies who hate water which is perhaps the most fundamental flaw. Most of the popular Spaniels have very disparate lines.

had to add my old Labrador "Duke" PAD who sadly passed away Dec 2008 at 13 years of age.

PS he is actually undercover in the photo!

:thumbsup:

Now that's a working Labrador! Off to the office for the day?

well yes actually we probably were!! Canning vale or Casuarina Prison he was the first passive Alert Narcotic dog in WA ( Trained and worked here!)

He was an ex army dog ( was going to be used to find bombs BUT he was rejected so I took him on and what a great dog he was, made history as everypone pooped the idea and said it would never work!!)

had to add my old Labrador "Duke" PAD who sadly passed away Dec 2008 at 13 years of age.

PS he is actually undercover in the photo!

385361949.jpg

I agree, you can clearly see that he has a waist. She looks healthy, just more "sturdily" (is that even a word? :thumbsup:) built.

Unfortunately there are many labs out there who have no waist at all and are obese.

Edited by aussielover

385361949.jpg

I don't think anybody who knows labradors would disagree with you. She is heavily set (correctly so) with correct length of leg, a deep ribcage and no excess fat from where I'm looking!!

She is lovely :thumbsup:

"Misty is a nicely bred and fully matured dog who looks like a labrador should." I might pont out that Misty was less than two years old when that pic was taken so still has some maturing to do....

A long standing labrador breeder in our area has proved over and over again that dogs bred for and do well in the show ring also excell in trials and do a hard days work because they are structurally correct.....in my mind there is only one labrador not "show" and "working" labradors......

I'm guessing at who that is and I don't completely agree. I do like more recent breedings though but they have changed in recent times to a more heavily set dog from what I've witnessed.

Unfortunately the USA have distinctly different field and show types. They tend to call the show type "English". I am not sure what is going on with the field labs - they have strayed a long way away from how a labrador should look.

To illustrate SG's point.... I have two pictures of the same dog. I have posted these before to show how a dog can mature. Now this dog was a very chunky puppy with a lot of bone. He grew into an ugly skinny adolescent. I realised he would fill out because his dad was a big solid dog and his Grandfather was extremely solid. I didn't quite expect him to turn out how he did though!

Have a look at his head in the second picture. Whaddya reckon his body is like? He has a big, solid body to match. No amount of starvation is going to make this dog look "thin" because his skeletal structure is broad and solid. It's his bloodlines and diet can't change that.

4059314281_b079c44ab1.jpg

4060059216_3388b333a4.jpg

These are great before and afters BL. Can you tell us what the ages are in the two pics ?

I would love to know how much more our boy might fill out.

Here is our teenage fella at about 9 months (now one), he's choc in the foreground beachcombing with his girlfriend Scout ;)

archieandscout4.jpg

Here is Dad

archsdaddy.jpg

And Mum ...

archiesmummy.jpg

I don't have a better pic of Mum, obviously she's not in absolute top nick with all the babies, but dad has certainly got some bulk to him.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

To illustrate SG's point.... I have two pictures of the same dog. I have posted these before to show how a dog can mature. Now this dog was a very chunky puppy with a lot of bone. He grew into an ugly skinny adolescent. I realised he would fill out because his dad was a big solid dog and his Grandfather was extremely solid. I didn't quite expect him to turn out how he did though!

Have a look at his head in the second picture. Whaddya reckon his body is like? He has a big, solid body to match. No amount of starvation is going to make this dog look "thin" because his skeletal structure is broad and solid. It's his bloodlines and diet can't change that.

These are great before and afters BL. Can you tell us what the ages are in the two pics ?

Here is our teenage fella at one, he's choc in the foreground with his girlfriend Scout

archieandscout4.jpg

Here is Dad

archsdaddy.jpg

And Mum ...

archiesmummy.jpg

I don't have a better pic of Mum, but dad has certainly got some bulk to him.

He will continue to grow and fill out for quite some time yet Mrs. TS. Boys certainly keep maturing for at least 3 yrs I recon, he probably will not grow in height much more after 12 months but he will thicken and body down a lot more......its a bit like how long is a piece of string, cos as you know they are all different and develop at different rates.

:)

What a great photo to have Wazzat :rofl:

He was a big dog but I tried to keep him as lean as I could, eventually he was over worked and run into the ground, I had the vet medical board him out lol His heart wasnt in it anymore,

he was great at his job and rumour has it he was one of the reasons for the Casuarina Riot!!

;)

post-9555-1270654606_thumb.jpg

Here is our teenage fella at about 9 months (now one), he's choc in the foreground beachcombing with his girlfriend Scout :rofl:

archieandscout4.jpg

Here is Dad

archsdaddy.jpg

And Mum ...

archiesmummy.jpg

I don't have a better pic of Mum, obviously she's not in absolute top nick with all the babies, but dad has certainly got some bulk to him.

I think Archie has a similar face to his mum :)