Requirements For Dogs On Utes

I think you need a 5 point harness for dogs traveling on the back of utes.

I need to find a good one, anyone know where?

:eek:

Miss B, I am unable to suggest any harness brand for you but can i please just offer some other advice. Please ensure that your dog is unable to get out of the harness and when your dogs ride in the back of the ute, could you please ensure that the length of lead is short enough so that it does not allow the dog to get any part of its body over the edge of the ute. It is a pet hate of mine to see beautiful animals not secured correctly and in such ways that if the dog were to fall off balance they would end up hanging over the edge etc.

All our dogs travel in a dog box on the back of the ute and some are only tied onto the tray when we are mustering.

Don't worry yourself roundhill I can assure you I am very cautious with my boy, maybe OTT at times.

I would get a create if I was driving far but its only to go down to the local dog park, which is a 5-10 minute drive in suburbia. Which I think a harness like the Ruffwear would be suffice.

Boss is pretty good, he doesn't move around he usually lays down.

Don't know the rules but there should be some.

I had the horrifying experience of driving down the very busy Main North Rd here in SA last Thursday. The scruffy white ute next to me in all the traffic had 2 Kelpies loose in the back. One of them was going ballistic. Barking & running from side to side like a lunatic, almost falling over the side. Heavy traffic.

So lunatic driving, yes I have your number plate, be thankful that the police station near there was shut when I pulled in to complain.

If there aren't any laws there should be :confused:

Thats horrific, I hate seeing dogs like that. Those people don't have brains!!

When i take mine on the ute I dont think I look at road I am always looking back to check (I am in the passenger seat obviously :eek: )

Don't worry yourself roundhill I can assure you I am very cautious with my boy, maybe OTT at times.

I would get a create if I was driving far but its only to go down to the local dog park, which is a 5-10 minute drive in suburbia. Which I think a harness like the Ruffwear would be suffice.

Boss is pretty good, he doesn't move around he usually lays down.

Good to hear :eek:

Casey4.jpg

CodyW.jpg

EmmaW.jpg

Hector.jpg

Kenzo%20biker%20dog%20JPG.jpg

LoriW.jpg

Hi BF,

Where did you get those amazing pics from?

I would love to be able to take my girls on the bike with me.

but Victorian laws says they must be even better protected than me.

the thing I really dont like is the requirement for them to be harnessed to the bike.

Restrained for protection is Ok but the restraints need to be breakaways. Not like seatbelts in a car.

Unlike a car where you are better off being restrained in your seat and letting the car absorb the impact a bike rider will take the FULL impact and force.

The only way for a rider to disipate this deadly energy is to be able to roll free and hopefully burn some of these forces off before the final stop.

Hey like they say "A fall has never killed anyone. .... It is just the sudden stop at the end"

Hi BF,

Where did you get those amazing pics from?

I would love to be able to take my girls on the bike with me.

but Victorian laws says they must be even better protected than me.

the thing I really dont like is the requirement for them to be harnessed to the bike.

Restrained for protection is Ok but the restraints need to be breakaways. Not like seatbelts in a car.

Unlike a car where you are better off being restrained in your seat and letting the car absorb the impact a bike rider will take the FULL impact and force.

The only way for a rider to disipate this deadly energy is to be able to roll free and hopefully burn some of these forces off before the final stop.

Hey like they say "A fall has never killed anyone. .... It is just the sudden stop at the end"

If you meant me (BP) then i got them from dogsonbikes.com.

WOW THAT WAS WEIRD. i KNOW what i was supposed to write, but typed dogzonline instead. LOL.

LOL this thread has gone rather off-topic...

As far as harnessing your dog to the bike goes, I don't know if it'd be legal or not, but a mate of mine who used to be a courier and had a little JRT X who would ride along with him, used a leash attached to a harness on the dog that he then sat on... so whilst in motion and all good, dog is secure... but in the event of an off, both rider and dog can get away from the bike :)

Don't know the rules but there should be some.

I had the horrifying experience of driving down the very busy Main North Rd here in SA last Thursday. The scruffy white ute next to me in all the traffic had 2 Kelpies loose in the back. One of them was going ballistic. Barking & running from side to side like a lunatic, almost falling over the side. Heavy traffic.

So lunatic driving, yes I have your number plate, be thankful that the police station near there was shut when I pulled in to complain.

If there aren't any laws there should be :thumbsup:

There are laws in SA. All dogs in back of utes are required to be tethered.

We have a dog box which is great for long trips. Its not always on there though so for short trips our bc is tethered on the back and dachie rides inside.

I thought there were laws in QLD for dogs in utes? My Dad, up in Central QLD, has quite a detailed set up for his 2 boof headed boxers. They have a fixed point welded to the centre of the ute, special leads that permanently attach to that, that are specifically cut and spliced to be the right length so they can't get over the side of the ute, and their own little shade canopy. Dad often jokes that its not really his ute anymore, they just let him drive it!

I thought there were laws in QLD for dogs in utes? My Dad, up in Central QLD, has quite a detailed set up for his 2 boof headed boxers. They have a fixed point welded to the centre of the ute, special leads that permanently attach to that, that are specifically cut and spliced to be the right length so they can't get over the side of the ute, and their own little shade canopy. Dad often jokes that its not really his ute anymore, they just let him drive it!

That sounds like an awesome set up! :rofl:

I swear there was rules as well but hopefully they will be putting some in place soon.