Grooming A Stafforshire Bull Terrier For Showing

Loves Dogs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's put it this way, the "blue" litters represent up to half of the pups available just on here alone at any given time but I didn't see one in the ring on the weekend. That was 200 odd dogs and bitches and given the volume that they are pumped out at, you'd expect to see a hell of a lot more of them out there. Plenty of breeders claiming that they are the biggest and the best Stafford pups on offer and no one is out there in the ring backing up their claims.

Maybe there were some there and I blinked and missed them.

Staffylover - I just have to ask. Why do you state on your dog's profile that he has a black nose when it's perfectly obvious in the pictures that his nose is clearly grey? Ignoring the simple genetic fact that a blue can not have a black nose.

Good luck with him, enjoy the show ring and the whole Stafford owning experience.

ETA: It is confOrmation, not confIrmation. Not being pedantic - confirmation is something quite different to conformation!

Edited by Sandra777

I'm suprised you are not still a popsicle Sandra LOL

You weren't there Sunday night!

Got up 5.00am Monday to come home and there was quite thick ice on the car. :D :rofl: Totally over that I can tell you :thumbsup:

Fortunately missed the big mess on the M3 north of Sydney.

Staffylover - I just have to ask. Why do you state on your dog's profile that he has a black nose when it's perfectly obvious in the pictures that his nose is clearly grey? Ignoring the simple genetic fact that a blue can not have a black nose.

I have checked the profile and the black nose part has been taken off :thumbsup: .

So so true, sadly many think a blue dog can have a black nose :rolleeyes:

I have checked the profile and the black nose part has been taken off :laugh: .

So so true, sadly many think a blue dog can have a black nose :rolleeyes:

No it hasn't!! :laugh:

The only time a blue can have a black nose is when it is associated with the greying gene, rather than the dilute. Kerry Blue Terriers are one example who have dark / black pigment but again, they arent dilutes.

I can honestly say the best blue I have seen in Aus (agreeing with others) is Koendidda Blue Diamond and I had to look twice to see if she really was blue...the difference is she was bred for conformation NOT colour !

Dilutes can't have black noses. It's not possible.

The owners are either wrong about the colour or have gone nuts with the black magic marker :D

Whippets are you talking specifically about SBTs or more generally.

Howard is a blue masked fawn and he appears to have a black nose ;) Or is this blue?

Howiegoodears.jpg

I know they dont do any well but Blue is in the standard and it would be nice if people stopped just breeding them for colour for the money :thumbsup: . I think when bred properly they are a stunning dog. I go to obediance every wednesday night with mine and there is another blue with clear nails a pale nose and blue eyes. He also has a very wishy washy coat. This dog cost those people the same as my beautiful deep coloured well bred blue. Its such a shame that the well bred ones dont seem to get noticed in the ring and being a newy I have noticed that there tends to be "trends" in colour in the ring at times. Oh well as I said Im just starting out so maybe I have no idea. I just love being out and about with my staffies and if we get a ribbon thats a bonus. My elder girl has done amazingly at agility and Austin (my Blue) looks to follow in her foot steps so we will just continue the way we have been going and have lots of fun at the same time! :thumbsup:

Your dog's prefix is Divineblue... makes me think your dog's breeder is only breeding for the blue colour? :laugh:

Sorry but Austin does NOT have a black nose.

Edited by Lyndsay

Poodlefan,

I'm talking whippets. But would it matter if it's a dilute of any breed? Dilutes don't have the gene for a black nose. I have seen darker dilutes that "appear" to have black noses but on closer inspection it is dark grey/blue looking.

I can't speculate about your dog unless I saw him in the flesh. I was talking to a whippet breeder recently who had no clue that dilutes "didn't" have black noses, which I thought was odd..but there you go.

...and gimme the black staffy...thanks :laugh:

Edited by whippets