Grooming A Stafforshire Bull Terrier For Showing

Loves Dogs

Hankyou ellz I have learnt that I probably and always will need to keep up my research on SBT before I start voiceing my opinions

:rofl: You never STOP learning...that's the beauty of being "in" dogs!!

Don't ever be afraid to voice an opinion. Many older, more experienced exhibitors have learned from newer exhibitors. Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see something that you're looking at every day, if you know what I mean!

Just understand that if you DO voice an opinion, there will always be somebody waiting to shoot you down so don't take it personally (or try not to....it can be VERY difficult!!). It doesn't mean that you are necessarily wrong (although you could be and somebody may be able to explain why you are wrong), just that somebody doesn't agree with you.

The dog world (and life in general) would be a very boring place if everybody got along all the time and liked the same things in dogs and had the same knowledge in every area! :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been showing for a couple months now an i've found the more shows i go to the more people try an help. I suspect a lot of people don't stick to it so regular show people wait an see if your gonna stick to it or not. But i've found everyones help an advice at shows to be great i have learnt more since i started showing than i have ever learnt before. Like that my blues nose is not black it's a really dark blue. But i have my girl that i show that will go somewhere in the show ring. My blue boy loves it in the ring, though he will never get anywhere. You just gotta enjoy it an learn all you can from the very knowledgable people at shows an on here.

As far as the short legs goes, no one likes a " long and low " Stafford.

Oh bugga there goes my idea :)

Black and tan kind of goes against the grain too, but shave it and I'll make allowances :rofl:

Doesn't the nose give you issues?? :D

As far as the short legs goes, no one likes a " long and low " Stafford.

Oh bugga there goes my idea :D

Black and tan kind of goes against the grain too, but shave it and I'll make allowances :rofl:

Doesn't the nose give you issues?? ;)

It's a toss up between the ear set and the length of muzzle. Having Whippets I can tolerate a snout :)

I have recently started doing agility with my little girl Kimba. She is quite a compact, small little girl who just loves it. The height of the jumps in agility all depends on the height of your dog ie: Kimba only needs to jump 300 - 400mm (i haven't got her officially measured yet so we are just roughing it). She hoons around the course. Its actually me who has to try and keep up and show her where to go. There are a few staffords in agility in Western Australia and they are doing quite well :(

My girl Koda is a big, solid, well-muscled girl. I don't do any form of obedience or agility etc with her but I probably should. She is insanely fit and LOVES to run with the horses, swim through anything and jump whatever happens to be standing still! Even when she was in whelp, despite my best efforts, she wanted to do nothing but jump. If there is a gate open on the farm, she'll still opt to jump the fence beside it!! She's a maniac.

I have recently started doing agility with my little girl Kimba. She is quite a compact, small little girl who just loves it. The height of the jumps in agility all depends on the height of your dog ie: Kimba only needs to jump 300 - 400mm (i haven't got her officially measured yet so we are just roughing it). She hoons around the course. Its actually me who has to try and keep up and show her where to go. There are a few staffords in agility in Western Australia and they are doing quite well :laugh:

You'll never keep up with her 101. You'll need to teach her to work at a distance. :love:

I just love agility and Kuta my 3 yr old female goes really well. We are on our way to some titles its just getting out of working on saturdays that is the hard thing. At training if you walk by a table at 500 she will just jump on up there. She is the only staffie at training in a group full of bordercollies but she sure does give them a run for their money! :thumbsup: She is so funny when she runs, her legs go out side ways like she is flying and everyone thinks she looks like a little bat flying over the jumps. She only has to jump 300 aswell so in comps we are up against poodles, cavs, and all the "little" dogs so she whips them! :D

I have just read back all the comments and clearly I wasnt in the right saying that awful comment. I think it was late at night and I read part of a comment not taking in the whole thing Im very sorry to all of you out there that I offended with my rude comment. I now know that blue dogs cant have black noses and I thank you guys for helping me to realise this. I hope you all forgive me and if I have any future questions about showing this is the first place I will come as it has been very helpful. Sorry once again :rofl:

You'll never keep up with her 101. You'll need to teach her to work at a distance. :)

Thats the plan eventually. But at the moment I have to start to retrain her using a ball instead of treats. And that in itself is going to be a mission :rofl: She is extremely obedient and catches on with the drop of a hat, BUT, show her a boy, toy etc and all that training just goes out the window :D