Heartworm Injection Or Monthly Tabs?

skip

I need to decide if I should not to do the annual heartworm injection and change to the monthly tabs? And if I go with monthly what type are easiest to give?

I was happy with the annual needle but I have just been to the vets today for annual visit and he did not give the heartworm injection to the dogs. The problem is that the boy dog is not easy to inject. Its a long story and I have done heaps with him but a vet cannot touch him. My vet uses a blanket to immobilise the dog and get it done quickly.

Today it was missed. The surgery was very busy and we debated if the dog was better off getting a break and another visit or go thru the drama again. DEcided to leave it for now and I made an appointment for next week.

In veiw of the dogs behaviour maybe less needles is a better option thou it does mean I need to be sure to give the tablet. Don't know the cost difference but it is more about what is best for the dog. PLus I have 2 dogs and the girl is fine with anything. So should I do her differently if needed?

So any advice on the use of tabs vrs the annual needle for heartworm. And if I use the tabs which ones are best and simple to give. The dog will not do chewables so a tablet down the throat or a food diguised tab might be easier . The girl will eat anything.

Thanks for any help.

Monthly tabs are so easy . . . and my vet says you can get away with every other month cause that's often enough to disrupt the lifecycle of the heartworm. This makes them relatively very cheap. My dogs love Heartgard. People say there are risks with the annual injection. So why bother with it.

Thanks sandgrubber

I did wonder about how often the tabs were given. I know the injection is said to be for one year but I have been told it is safe for about another 6 months. If you give 12 smaller lots in a year against one big lot at once - which is healthier for the dog in terms of trying to limit how many chemicals we give our dogs?

I would not give the heartworm injection. It has been linked to reactions (including death) and as far as I'm aware it's already been pulled from the shelves O/S. Try doing a search on it here or a Google search and you will hear many horror stories :laugh:

We use Interceptor but I'm planning on changing to Heartguard with a quarterly intestinal wormer once I finish my current packet. Sentinal is good too and also treats fleas :)

I also have a dog that doesn't enjoy the vet. He is now only being vaccinated every three yrs which has made life more plesent for him (although I hope by his next vac he will be much better). For heart worm I get them online in tablet form which makes it quite cheap. I do monthly to keep in a routein of giving it.

BTW- what type of dog do you have skip?

Edited by woofenpup

I also have a dog that doesn't enjoy the vet. He is now only being vaccinated every three yrs which has made life more plesent for him (although I hope by his next vac he will be much better). For heart worm I get them online in tablet form which makes it quite cheap. I do monthly to keep in a routein of giving it.

Every 3 years...really? can I ask how...and why?

Every 3 years...really? can I ask how...and why?

New revised protocol from vaccine manufacturer. :laugh:

So how do I know if my dogs dont need annual vaccinations? my JRT hates the vet

Talk to your vet. Many have adopted the 3 year protocol already. :laugh:

However, I'd still recommend an annual check up.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks everyone for your responses. I love this site as I don't know that much about health etc as these are my first dogs.

From the responses I think I will go with monthly tabs. Seems to meet DOLers approval as well as the fact it is one less needle.

When I get time I might go online as woofenpup does and get some that way.

Masons Mum - interesting about effecting skin because he is getting more problems with his skin. This is becoming worst and his feet need constant monitoring. Grass allergy, I think?

SecretKei - Luckily the vet visit normally seems to have no effect on their health or behaviour. But since I moved recently I have had to give medication for fleas so if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.... Best thing about living in Orange previuosly must be it was too cold for fleas!

I am aware of vacs being done less and getting titre tests done etc but I cannot imagine ever getting blood from this dog. God, the drama it would be.

And woofenpup my dog with this issue is from a rescue group. Got him at 6 - 18 months and he was said to be a kelpie x chihuahua. He is about? 7 now and weighs 10 kgs. He looks like a small black kelpie but has bigger eyes and you would not beleive how many ask me what he is and they all think he is a puppy kelpie.

Typical thou, the chi x foxy girl I have is tougher and will let the vet do anything.

Thaks all.

Edited by skip

Huh - I got one our heartworm vacc renewal in the mail today and I was wondering whether I would continue with it! My two havent had any problems with the vacc so far, but thats not to say they wont in future I guess!

Does anyone know where I could find out the areas where heartworm occur? Or is it just an Australia wide thing now?

If I didnt need to give them something at all would be good!

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but doesnt the Heartguard chewable active ingredient ivermectin affect some breeds like Collies?? Or is this another chemical?

Rat

Big no no to the injection for me. Read too many bad things.

I give my dogs Interceptor which does Heartworm and intestinal worms. I give it every 6 weeks rather than monthly though. I don't really like the ones with flea prevention in them either, will treat fleas when and if they get them (which is rarely if ever).

The less chemicals the better I reckon. :)

As I understand it, the heartworm parasite's lifecycle is pretty easy to disrupt. Doesn't need a lot of meds. To do your thing for the dog community, it's good to medicate your dogs, even if heartworm isn't currently a problem in your area. Heartworm is carried by mozzies, so if you live in an area with a lot of mozzies you have a potential heartworm problem.

The drug companies want you to use lots. My vet tells me that every other month is often enough.

And if it gets cold enough to wipe out the mozzies, you don't have to worry about those months.

Huh - I got one our heartworm vacc renewal in the mail today and I was wondering whether I would continue with it! My two havent had any problems with the vacc so far, but thats not to say they wont in future I guess!

Does anyone know where I could find out the areas where heartworm occur? Or is it just an Australia wide thing now?

If I didnt need to give them something at all would be good!

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but doesnt the Heartguard chewable active ingredient ivermectin affect some breeds like Collies?? Or is this another chemical?

Rat

I will ask about treatments every other week too as I like that idea.

I know mozzies are the culprit in terms of spreading heartworm. But if you stop treatment when mozzies stop over winter say, is there are chance then you start treatment again when your dog may have become infected? I found when I had to start treatment on a dog once that I had to test first in case he had exsisting heartworms.

Do many stop treatment for winter?