Would You Contact The Show Secretary?

Addicted2gold

Just wondering if I should contact the show secretary in regards to a show we attended. Not that it will change anything for that show but for future reference.

We came 2nd in Intermediate dog class. In the Dog Challenge line up, challenge was awarded to the Intermediate dog and although I was stood ringside and ready to enter, the judge awarded Res challenge straight away, without giving the steward time to call us in. :laugh: I was told by another exhibitor that she had done the same thing to another breed earlier on.

Should I contact them for their future reference.

Edited by Addicted2gold

Just wondering if I should contact the show secretary in regards to a show we attended. Not that it will change anything for that show but for future reference.

We came 2nd in Intermediate dog class. In the Dog Challenge line up, challenge was awarded to the Intermediate dog and although I was stood ringside and ready to enter, the judge awarded Res challenge straight away, without giving the steward time to call us in. :laugh: I was told by another exhibitor that she had done the same thing to another breed earlier on.

In future, speak up. Tell the steward and I am sure the judge will wait. I think there is no point doing anything now, next time do it on the day. It's a bugger, but to late to change it now.

The judges should know better but sometimes it does happen.

I come at it from a few perspectives.

Handler in the Ring: I know my competition, I watch what is going on around me and I have (stupidly) refused to shake the judges hand because there was a replacement to come in. I actually did it most recently in a Group line up. BIG was awarded and I knew there was a RUBOB for that breed and the judge came to me and I didn't move. I said "Thank you, but there is another dog to come in" - it's somewhat rude but I think if I was in the shoes of the handler and dog to return I'd be far more pissed off.

Handler out of the Ring: I have also had to make my self heard very quickly on some occasions, you'll be surprised how quickly a judge will realise you are there if you take half a dozen steps into the ring.

Steward: If it had happened before I would have had a quick chat to the judge and asked them to confirm with me that there was nothing to come back in before awarded Res CC. Being quite proactive you can be right there with the judge when they award CC and say "there is one to return" as soon as you know what class and that there is one to come back.

However in terms of contacting the show stewards etc, I would actually contact your CC, you aren't complaining and it might be something that they can put in an upcoming Journal as a reminder to Stewards. I doubt that it's a problem for just one club and it's an issue to bring up on the larger scale as those judges will hopefully read it if they are local, and the stewards see it because those stewards volunteer at other shows for other clubs.

Thanks Ashley, unfortunately it was all to quick to even call out, not that I would have as I'm reasonably new to showing & doubted myself for a second. I was under the understanding the steward was to call my number before entering the ring again, she didn't even get a chance to see who she was to call before the the reserve challenge was awarded.

Thanks Megz, it does make more sense to contact the CC. Thanks for your reply.

This just happened at the Sydney Royal, which was very disappointing. Challenge came from the puppy class, and the steward didn't call for 2nd Puppy .The puppy owner was on the ball though and already in the ring walking to the lineup even though she hadn't been called, and the judge awarded without waiting :-( ).

Very annoying for this to happen at such a big (and expensive!) show.

Handler in the Ring: I know my competition, I watch what is going on around me and I have (stupidly) refused to shake the judges hand because there was a replacement to come in.

That's not stupid. I've done it myself several times. I don't have the desire to win at all costs (yet :laugh:

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Handler in the Ring: I know my competition, I watch what is going on around me and I have (stupidly) refused to shake the judges hand because there was a replacement to come in.

That's not stupid. I've done it myself several times. I don't have the desire to win at all costs (yet :laugh:

I meant it was stupid because the judge just stared at me blankly with their hand out still and I'm down with the dog stacked hehe

It looked a bit unco and stupid but I don't care - I've never been cut throat and have always tried to be fair.

Sadly this does happen and all to often. It happens in many breeds.

If you wished to make a complaint it should have been directed to the Show Secretary on the day, not after. This type of thing shouldn't happen as per our rules........all dogs should be treated equally as per the rules and some times it doesn't happen as per the rules, but obviously the judge knew what they wanted. Many a time an age group is given even before the last one has entered the ring or had a chance the stack. It happens.......

Chalk it up to experience and make a note of it in your judges list for future reference.

ETA: As mentioned it happened at the Sydney Royal. Some judges already know what they want regardless of the procedures and go ahead and award.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Out of interest was it an international judge? I have only seen it happen with internationals :laugh:

Sort of happened to me this weekend. We got rDCC and then the dog got BOB, the judge then handed the reserve to the bitch without calling us back in (I was ready waiting). Didn't really fuss me as she had verbally critiqued the dogs when judging so I knew the bitch would be given it over my boy anyway so I just shrugged and went to walk away, but the steward eventually realised (or the other competitors told them there was another dog) so they did call me in and the judge still gave it to the bitch :laugh:

I would probably write a letter to the CC (and cc it to the club concerned) and ask what you are meant to do in that situation if it ever happens again :laugh:

Short answer: No

The steward should assist the judge so that the rings run properly but if it doesn't happen you make the call in the ring about whether you make a fuss in the ring or let it go. Personally I'd let it go, sometimes the judge knows what they want already and it's not my dog!! I'd think about whether I wanted to call attention to that before making a fuss.

If your concern is preventing it happening again then it's up to you whether you think a politely worded piece of feedback is worthwhile. In this case, the Secretary is highly unlikely to be appointing the judge again in the short term so has little power to do anything about it. You could contact the Canine Control who MAY issue a reminder to clubs but who equally may not if they are up to their eyeballs in aggressive dog reports and code of conduct hearings.

The steward should have been the one on the ball.

The steward should have said sorry you cant award RCC there is a dog to return,even if it was a full gone conclusion i would have still entered.

I have seen a variety of judges do it some purely ignorant some just having a moment BUT the stewrad is there to ensure all things go

Thank you for all your replies, like I stated in my post I know it is to late to complain about the show I attended & to be quite honest it is just a dog show :( Still had fun with my dogs on the day.

Mirawee it was an Interstate judge :(

I'll send a polite email to the CC.

It's a procedural issue, not a club "domestic" issue.

You'd be better off contacting the CC and advising them what happened. It may be that the steward needs a refresher course in ring management.

Guest CaptainCourageous

I'd leave it all in the past, and forget about it.

The mechanics of the matter is that the judge ought to refrain from awarding RCC / RUBOB / RUBIG / RUBIS until the steward has called out "nothing to come back" or the reserve/RU enters the ring or is called Absent.

Re-judging isn't permitted.

The "nice" thing to do would have been to ask the steward to ensure it didn't happen to anyone else on the day. You can't do anything to salvage your exhibit's loss.

If you want, PM me with the details and I'll pass what's relevant on to some people who might be interested (in Victoria). Otherwise, just put it in the past.

CC

I had this happen to me not long ago for Runner up In Breed. Stood ringside and RUBOB was awarded at BOB. Done and over with.....didn't really bother me though as the last thing I wanted to do was run around the ring yet again!

I've seen this happen a few times myself. It is annoying, and when the judge/steward realizes and waits for the 2nd place dog to come back in, you never see the judge pick that dog over the one who's already been awarded. They may look interested in the dog returning to the ring, but it's pretty much too late to change their mind.

I've seen this happen a few times myself. It is annoying, and when the judge/steward realizes and waits for the 2nd place dog to come back in, you never see the judge pick that dog over the one who's already been awarded. They may look interested in the dog returning to the ring, but it's pretty much too late to change their mind.

This is why I don't acknowledge the judge until the other dog is in it's place.

Our rules say a Class cannot be rejudged - that is completely all encompassing and I've had it work against me a couple of times in the past.