Some Things To Talk About

Steve

I thought it would be best if we covered some issues relating to fundraising for MDBA Pacers.

In the past 18 months since we incorporated as a charity we have learned a lot and some of it the hard way.

We know that you guys are behind us and are eager to help us raise some funds to help as many as we possibly can and for those

of you who have already contributed goods or services or cash donations we are extremely grateful. We are now in a position where there is a huge demand for what

we are doing and to be a safety net when domestic animal owners hit an unexpected personal or natural disaster. Its a runaway train and we have been able to help a lot of

people to ensure they don't have to surrender their animals or neglect them in any way. we rely 100 % on donations so its a huge part of our ability to survive and continue to grow so we are here if we are needed.

Over the next week or so we will be announcing some great stuff which all of you can get involved with and have some fun and raise some funds for other groups too if you like at the same time

but for now we need to talk about some issues which we have had to face and set systems up to deal with so you all understand it when you see it.

The idea of auctions and raffles here is a great way to bring in some extra funds and make everyone feel like they have

been part of it all.It gives everyone an opportunity to donate goods for prizes and it shows very clearly the level of support for us and the

people and animals we are helping.

But - now and then we have some things we would rather avoid.

In the past we have had people who have pledged a prize and then changed their minds.

We have had people say they post things but they are reported as never arriving by the recipient .

We have had people who have refused to pay postage - both those donating and receiving.

We have had people who have said they will deposit money and then they haven't.

We have had some who wanted to be given big accolades and we didn't know and we have upset them by not making a much bigger deal out of their donations.

We have had some who have wanted to be involved in an event or activity to raise some funds for us but who have expected things we are not able to provide such as thousands of dollars worth of MDBA Pacers Merchandise provided on consignment to them.

We have had some who have wanted to help but who have begun a project and wanted us to do the work or pay lots of money out to follow it through and we weren't aware of that at the outset.

There's more but you get the idea. Its hard to deal with some of these because we don't want to do anything that makes people feel unappreciated but there is a bigger picture here.

We have worked hard to set everything up properly and get deductible gift recipient and charity status and we have certain laws we have to comply with to ensure we don't muck it up.

There are time and resource restraints which we need to manage as well.

So - Yes please feel free to donate goods or services which we can sell or auction or raffle, give to people who need them or use in our shelters. The more the better.

Yes please get involved and conduct activities and events to help us spread the word about who we are and raise funds. We are just polishing off some great resources you will all be able to use if you want to have a go with us.

But - even though some of you have told me you would be happy to help but wont jump through hoops to do it - there are a couple of small hoops which are unavoidable to avoid any issues.

Im sure you will all understand.

Julie

I don't know what to say, except that any offers I've made today or in the past have been genuine and have been followed through, to the point of delivery.

Yes I know - and very much appreciated - and you are an MDBA member and I know you and can find you easily but thats not been the case with all

so please don't think I'm having a shot at anyone who has done the right thing.We just need to know we have the ability to follow up if we need to and quite often because dogz is user names and privacy issues we cant get hold of people if we need to unless we have something in place to cover it.

Julie I am sorry it is all so hard to coordinate. It must be very frustrating when expectations are not the same for all parties.

I will put my hand up as a slacker, I have received the books of raffle tickets (lost one book almost immediatly - I think the dogs ate it) and haven't sold any yet :rofl: I will extract digit and try to do so.

I didnt mean to make it sound that I was complaining - I just need you to fill out a form - thats all so I know who you really are and that we have a way of following up if we have to.

There are already some things up on the pacers site to help with fundraising.

Here's the FAQ

Frequently asked questions about fundraising for MDBA Pacers.

I want to hold an Event or fundraising activity for MDBA Pacers. What can I do?

The things you can do to help MDBA Pacers are limitless. All you need to do is decide what you might like to do, fill in an Agreement to Fundraise form and collect your tool kit from MDBA Pacers

Why do I need to fill in an Agreement to Fundraise form?

The Australian Government has developed legislation governing the conduct of fundraising, meaning that anyone wishing to raise money for charitable purposes needs an authority to fundraise. It also allows us to answer questions from the public and media. All supporters of MDBA Pacers need to register with us whatever the size of the event, activity or donation. It’s a very easy and quick process –.

Where does the money go?

The funds raised will provide vital assistance for domestic animals and their owners who have been adversely affected by either a personal disaster or a natural disaster and who need help to get back on track in order to retain ownership and proper care for their animals. MDBA Pacers acts as a safety Net for Pets.

What if I can’t hold an event or activity but I want to contribute?

If you’re unable to host or organise an event but would like to contribute, you can:

• Make an online donation at www.mdbapacers.org.au

• Forward information and the MDBA Pacers link to friends and family

• Make a donation of goods or services to be used as a competition or raffle prize.

• Allocate a percentage of sales on a particular item or for a certain time period which you sell in your business.

I want to do something a bit creative. Any ideas?

There are lots of great ideas in our fundraising ideas section.

Can I sell MDBA Pacers merchandise at my event?

If you would like to sell merchandise then you need to purchase it up-front then sell it at your event. For more details, please contact your MDBA Pacers office.

Does MDBA Pacers have insurance to cover my event?

All aspects of financial and public liability and public safety are the responsibility of the event organiser. As MDBA Pacers is not the event organiser, we do not cover any liability on your behalf.

Am I able to share the proceeds of my fundraising activity with non profit groups or other charities?

Yes. But you will need to decide before you begin who the beneficiaries are and what percentage of the revenue will be distributed to each one. Legally at least 60% of all funds raised must go to the non profits or charities you have named before you start as beneficiaries You can share this amount out between one or more in any ratio you like if you have made this known before you begin and when you are raising funds.

What do I do with the money once the event is over?

Count up the money raised follow the instructions for payment in your MDBA Pacers tool kit pack

Always use your fundraiser ID number in all transactions

Can I pay online?

Yes, when you register your event or activity, you can choose to deposit funds via direct deposit/internet transfer.

I held an event or activity for MDBA Pacers but didn’t register. What now?

If you’ve held an event without registering, you’ll need to call your MDBA Pacers office to register after the event. You will then be sent information on how to bank your funds to make sure your funds are supporting the prevention of animal cruelty.

That's totally understandable I recall recently on the radio where there was a lot of controversy as part of the Kyle Sandilands debacle a fundraiser he was involved in failed to chase up monies promised to a family in need. The station I was listening to pointed out that that is why they never do telethon type stuff because it's way too difficult to chase up and people don't always follow through.

Personally I prefer fundraisers which are run through a product or service like the chocolate and pie drive type stuff, that way people view it more as a purchase rather than a donation and it's easier to track because people have to pay when they put in their order. I know when EI was on a lot of clubs ran online shows as a way of raising money that was something that seemed to do quite well also although I wasn't directly involved in it so don't know for sure.

That's totally understandable I recall recently on the radio where there was a lot of controversy as part of the Kyle Sandilands debacle a fundraiser he was involved in failed to chase up monies promised to a family in need. The station I was listening to pointed out that that is why they never do telethon type stuff because it's way too difficult to chase up and people don't always follow through.

Personally I prefer fundraisers which are run through a product or service like the chocolate and pie drive type stuff, that way people view it more as a purchase rather than a donation and it's easier to track because people have to pay when they put in their order. I know when EI was on a lot of clubs ran online shows as a way of raising money that was something that seemed to do quite well also although I wasn't directly involved in it so don't know for sure.

It doesn't matter what you do unless you have systems in place to ensure it runs smoothly it becomes an issue.

We now have systems in place to enable us to be sure we are covered and for no one to be disappointed.

Also we cant just let any body decide they want to say they are raising funds for us without knowing who they are or what they are doing.

Most people do the right thing but we have to be aware that sometimes people will muck it up whether by accident or design and do what needs to be done to be sure its covered.

Julie

There has been a suggestion of a DOL Fundraising Cookbook to raise funds for either rescue/MDBA pacers and there have been many recipes posted to the thread in Offtopic.

It would bee good if we can get this idea off the ground, and see it through until publication.

Am not sure what is happening to our correspondence but I have yet to receive a reply to my email to you, Julie, of 06 Apr concerning the cookbook. :)

Edited by Hesapandabear

Megz, the question concerning copyright has already been discussed at some length in the original thread in OT.

I have been in touch with a publisher who "do nothing" but fundraising books for schools, sporting clubs, hospitals etc and the question of "using others recipes" has been discussed in detail. :laugh:

Edited by Hesapandabear

There has been a suggestion of a DOL Fundraising Cookbook to raise funds for either rescue/MDBA pacers and there have been many recipes posted to the thread in Offtopic.

It would bee good if we can get this idea off the ground, and see it through until publication.

Am not sure what is happening to our correspondence but I have yet to receive a reply to my email to you, Julie, of 06 Apr concerning the cookbook. :laugh:

As explained via email on the 6th of April, for various reasons, I need to discuss this via phone.

Just to double check - everything I was supposed to send arrived I hope? I use registered mail when sending anything so I'll have the reciepts here somewhere if there was any question of things going out :mad

Yours are good

Julie

If it is questions relating to the laws pertaining to charities and the MDBA Pacers Constitution, I would not have the foggiest idea :( Surely the MDBA can answer these questions?.

O.K. Im officially an idiot.

Ive been calling hesapandabear for days. I left 7 or 8 messages yesterday and thought all kinds of things as to why she wasnt there yesterday when I rang at the arranged time of 9 am too.

I just went to send her an email to ask her when I re- read the top line of her last email on the 15th where I asked her to clarify I had the right phone number for her.

It said - No - not since 2007 and she gave me the new one. I will try ringing her ON THE RIGHT PHONE NUMBER and hopefully we can get this recipe book done and dusted.

lessons read your emails properly,and MDBA members change your member details in the private sections of the MDBA website. MDBA phone number is 0269276707 - MDBA Pacers number is 0269276706 and Im here all day today.

Sorry hesapandabear - my mistake.

Julie