Missing A Meal

W Sibs

Charlie is a picky eater (who would of thought a cav x will be a picky eater!). Also, he doesn't eat a lot normally. He hasn't since a puppy. We only feed him one meal a day and it's not overly big meal either.

Lately, for the past 2 weeks... he will go a day without eating. He might eat a few of his dry biscuits that day but that's it. We no longer leave food out for him during the day (hoping he will get hungry enough to eat his whole dinner), he gets plenty of exercise, he doesn't look sick or thin (my boy is looking and feeling solid and muscular again.. i love it), doesn't act like he is starving. The vets says that he is healthy (as he can be) and he is the right weight.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experience this?

Hmmm don't know?

Our two would never skip a meal LOL.. except when Renae was recently sick (well that's different)

I've read on here in food threads that some people skip a meal with their dog/s every week for a particular reason. So I'm guessing unless Charlie is doing it too often, and for too long, then it might not be an issue :)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Yes, my first dog was a poodle X, he was an extremely fussy eater. He was fed raw meat and dry food, but he would really only pick at the food. Sometimes he would just leave it completely.

I think some dogs aren't that fussed by food. I actually know of a person who only feeds their dog once every second day and the dog is very healthy.

I wouldn't worry unless he loses weight, becomes ill frequently, or behaves out of character.

There are also tablets available to stimulate the appetite, you could talk to your vet if you're that concerned?

He is not starving but sometimes he just doesn't want to eat... this happened 2 days ago.. just sniffed his dinner and walked away. Yesterday though.. he was fine again. Ate 1 and a half of chopped up chicken wings and a small handful of dry dog biscuit... this dog will stop eating when he is full.

Yes, my first dog was a poodle X, he was an extremely fussy eater. He was fed raw meat and dry food, but he would really only pick at the food. Sometimes he would just leave it completely.

I think some dogs aren't that fussed by food. I actually know of a person who only feeds their dog once every second day and the dog is very healthy.

I wouldn't worry unless he loses weight, becomes ill frequently, or behaves out of character.

There are also tablets available to stimulate the appetite, you could talk to your vet if you're that concerned?

I don't think it's a big issue (because he seems fine) but i find this whole thing weird... :)

I wonder if he suffers from a residual pain level that flares occasionally. Dogs are very stoic about masking pain as a rule.

I don't think this is it. Because he goes on his merry way... if he is in the slightest pain, he will go to his crate for a rest.

R u showing concern re this learned habit ?if so charlie could be picking up on yr vibes .

I have one girl here who waits till all the others have finished ,just to get more attention

It's something I just noticed in the past 2 weeks... I still feed him the same. If he doesn't eat it, then I throw the food away and he has to wait till tomorrow night feeding.

I hate to say it but could he be in pain?

Then again if he is a good weight I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be monitoring weight weekly though. Since he's small it should be easy for you to weigh him at home.

Summer our 18mth Cav is a bit fussy, she will only eat dry food if she is very hungry, (she will take them one at a time onto the carpet and eat them) she eats mostly a chicken/veg loaf, necks and a small amount of can. I am told all the time by Cav pet owners she is too thin, but breeders/show people say she is fine. So I am not sure if she should put on more weight or not.

My GSD has a fast day every so often, or has bones or scraps instead of dry food.

ETA: Kaiser (GSD) only became interested in food when Desexed at 6yrs, before that the ball always came first, he only ate when there was nothing else to do, he was slender but still very healthy and fit.

Edited by KaiserGSD

I hate to say it but could he be in pain?

Then again if he is a good weight I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be monitoring weight weekly though. Since he's small it should be easy for you to weigh him at home.

Seriously, I don't think it's pain. Because the days he miss out his meals, he will be in the living room playing with his toys or me (right now he is in love with his Isqueak ball!)... he hasn't shown any sign of pain in a long while.

It''s like he isn't hungry and doesn't want to eat, so he doesn't.

He was 5.5kg last week when I weight him (he has a Wii character on Wii Fit Plus)

Hello :D

I posted in the CKCS thread the other day about my girl's eating habits, too. Coco is 9m old and fed twice a day and sometimes, meals definitely go untouched. I also was of the impression I'd have to be worried about over-feeding her, but no concern here! She has done this for a while, a few months? but is definitely not wasting away at 8.4kg. I tried giving her slightly less each meal, then also tried delaying her meals by 30 mins to see if that helped and it's made marginal difference.

I suppse there are exceptions to every rule? FTR she is very healthy, bright eyes, shiny coat, sees the vet regularly, playful, cuddly, etc. :)

Guest RANDCMOORE31

What is your Cav X - crossed with? Maltese are notoriously picky eaters. I have a maltese who will go several days without food - and then will eat for several days in a row! A friend has a cavalier x maltese who will often skip meals for a day or two. I think it might be related to how often they empty their bowels as well. My dogs that go every day - eat every day. The maltese only goes every few days - so it probably has something to do with how quickly they digest and metabolise their food. Might also depend on the level of exercise they are having?

What is your Cav X - crossed with? Maltese are notoriously picky eaters. I have a maltese who will go several days without food - and then will eat for several days in a row! A friend has a cavalier x maltese who will often skip meals for a day or two. I think it might be related to how often they empty their bowels as well. My dogs that go every day - eat every day. The maltese only goes every few days - so it probably has something to do with how quickly they digest and metabolise their food. Might also depend on the level of exercise they are having?

He is cross with a Shih Tzu. My friend maltese is a picky eater.. except when it came to treats!

Charlie gets 2 walks a day... 20 minutes each walk. Goes to toilet like clockwork. In the morning and always go to the toilet at least once on walks.

Hello :D

I posted in the CKCS thread the other day about my girl's eating habits, too. Coco is 9m old and fed twice a day and sometimes, meals definitely go untouched. I also was of the impression I'd have to be worried about over-feeding her, but no concern here! She has done this for a while, a few months? but is definitely not wasting away at 8.4kg. I tried giving her slightly less each meal, then also tried delaying her meals by 30 mins to see if that helped and it's made marginal difference.

I suppse there are exceptions to every rule? FTR she is very healthy, bright eyes, shiny coat, sees the vet regularly, playful, cuddly, etc. :)

It's weird, isn't it?

No healthy dog will starve to death if food is offered ...

Although she is alive and kicking, I sometimes think that Tamar (Maltese with teeny bit of Shih Tzu) wants to disprove this.

I suppose it has long since fallen off DOL, but I posted a series of photos a couple of years ago of Tamar looking (yes, just looking) at a bowl of food. She and Jeune (large Chihuahua something) are quite extraordinary. You'd think I was trying to poison them, the way they carry on.

Hard to say what is going on with Charlie, considering what he has been through, but if vet is happy and his weight is good, try not to worry.

Oh, that old thread of mine is still there - LOL:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=168141&hl=

Edited by Mother Moocher

No healthy dog will starve to death if food is offered ...

Although she is alive and kicking, I sometimes think that Tamar (Maltese with teeny bit of Shih Tzu) wants to disprove this.

I suppose it has long since fallen off DOL, but I posted a series of photos a couple of years ago of Tamar looking (yes, just looking) at a bowl of food. She and Jeune (large Chihuahua something) are quite extraordinary. You'd think I was trying to poison them, the way they carry on.

Hard to say what is going on with Charlie, considering what he has been through, but if vet is happy and his weight is good, try not to worry.

Oh, that old thread of mine is still there - LOL:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=168141&hl=

OMG... I love the photos. Both of them are gorgeous!!!

The look on their faces is cracked me up.