Confused - Friend Wants To Stay With Toddler

Eileen

Gee - looks like I am the odd one out.

I make an effort for friends when they come and stay and never had any problems.

So what if the dogs don't have full access to the whole house for a few days - they survive.

I have more than one dog - most are large and I would never turn a friend away - I would do what is necessary to have a bloody good time with my friend and her toddler. When my friend comes over from SA (she has my daughters rooms) and her 2 children (last time they were here - baby and toddler) and my daughter slept on the floor in my sons room. We had less dogs then than we do now - but it was 1 Rottweiler and 1 pug at the time. If they came back now they would have the same room and I would be keeping the dogs in my room so they could have access to the toilet during the night.

Baby gates and crates - supervise or separate dogs from visitors is not hard and the dog will get over it.

** runs off to find that flame suit... :thumbsup:

Edited by Andisa

** runs off to find that flame suit... :thumbsup:

Definitely no flaming, Andisa - LOL.

I just feel if the toddler is frightened of dogs, the friend knows there is a lively, very much integrated into the family dog living there, she could make other arrangements.

I guess it depends too on how long she wanted to stay.

Wow, everyone places their dog above their friends??? Crate for the dog, supervision for all and let friend and toddler have your baby's room, dog in crate in lounge room, your baby in your room.

Personally I think it could be a good learning experience for all - dog learns some toddler manners, toddler learns dogs aren't scary things.

Edited by Sandra777

Wow, everyone places their dog above their friends??? Crate for the dog, supervision for all and let friend and toddler have your baby's room, dog in crate in lounge room, your baby in your room.

Personally I think it could be a good learning experience for all - dog learns some toddler manners, toddler learns dogs aren't scary things.

I think it is not so much putting the dog above their friends. I think it is more the case that something can go wrong in a split second and lives can be ruined.

And I certainly have thought along the lines of the part of your post I have highlighted. But that also depends on the mind set of the mother as well.

So many variables.

Wow, everyone places their dog above their friends???

Ummmm yep :)

I'm sorry but I would refuse to re-arrange my life and home to suit other people. My dog is part of my family and he comes first. And really, if it is a true friend they would never put you in that position anyway :)

That said, I'm happy to make arrangements when needed. We have had friends and family over who are not entirely comfortable with dogs (or dog is not entirely comfortable with them). In that case I crate him or move him to the bedroom for the visit. If they are there for tea I crate him whilst we eat -not everyone likes being drooled on during dinner lol.

However I would NEVER crate, kennel or banish my dog outside for an entire weekend because a friend wanted to stay over. Supervise with kids? Of course, crate at night time? Easy.

But stress him, push him outside, crate all day or send off to a kennel? Sorry, it doesn't work like that. This is my house and my dogs home so if you dont like the way we live then dont stay here :thumbsup:

I would have to consider how close the friend was and her attitude towards dogs before I decided whether to let her stay. If she was a close friend who loved dogs and was committed to working with her child in overcoming its fears, then I would invite her to stay. (But still not have anyone sleeping on the lounge room floor)

If she didn't like dogs or didn't think it was important for her to help her child feel comfortable around them, then no, she would not be welcome to visit, let alone stay.

I would put my dogs before friends staying

mainly for the fact they are 13 years old and have never been crate trained

( I didnt know it exsisted apart for showing dogs , before I came on DOL )

adults who stay know I have dogs and are comfortable with that , one dog likes to sleep in the spare bedroom floor ( where the guest would be sleeping )

a young child I would be very cautious of

young child around dog/s they dont know could be trouble

split second and things can go bad

even my neices and nephews are told they can not be around the dogs without a adult present

so they ask before going outside

I would rather explain to friends before a final decision was made for the safety of all concerned

When my dad comes to visit, the dogs get turfed outside. My dad is old and frail and although he loves dogs, mine are a tad boisterous and might jump on him and injure him.

The dogs don't suffer by being outside when dad is here, but my dad might suffer if I let the dogs stay inside while he's here.

I wouldn't want my dad not to visit because of the dogs.

My mum is here at the moment and we have told her that if she is home and either OH or myself isn't home then the dogs are to stay outside - they would be outside anyway as thats where they are when we aren't home but she - much as she loves dogs - is just too small and frail to have our 41 kg bloodhound pup inside with her - especially as he is only 6 months old and can be very stubborn.

I know that if I wasn't strict about this then she would be too soft and let them inside :heart:

When my family come to visit the dogs life goes on as normal (my sister isn't too much of a dog lover but - hey - she puts up with them)- but none of them have small children and the dogs sleep in our room at night

Why not use baby gates to block off a room for her. And being outside during the day won't really affect the dog in the short term.

Depends on a lot of other considerations. I would explain thou that you are only concerned about her and the safety of her child.