German Shepherd National Show

ish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the show yesterday and today.

Without bringing the thread down, I was pretty disappointed in the dogs. I can see why some people are concerned with their structure as this was the reason why I went because in another thread was told I should go and view the dogs.

I wanted to go on at least one of the days, for the very reason of looking at the conformation of the dogs and seeing which ones were winning etc. (and for same reason as you). But as it turned out, some urgent commitments came up which took care of the last couple of days, then training classes today and after that I fair ran out of time. I'm disappointed that I didn't get there.

Yes pockets won the intermediate bitch class with her girl Ava. Also Reserve Challenge

All class results now up on the German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria's web page including obedience.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Edited by PRADA68

Structure? I didnt go but wished I could have..

Yay for falling for a good looking GSD :dancingelephant: I know how that feels :whee: I knew If I went I would want to get another one..

Structure I think, was the wrong word. I wanted to see why there was so much carry on about "roach" and "curved" backs etc. etc. Unfortunately the experience wasn't favourable. I don't know anything about the GSD standard but I personally wouldn't have gone for most of those dogs there to do any sort of dog sport. :cheer:

:birthday: I did offer to his breeder that I would be more than happy to take him home then and there, that's how much I loved him. Hopefully I can get one of his pups in a few years :rock: I took a photo of him on my phone just to show everyone, he was beautiful :party:

I wanted to go on at least one of the days, for the very reason of looking at the conformation of the dogs and seeing which ones were winning etc. (and for same reason as you). But as it turned out, some urgent commitments came up which took care of the last couple of days, then training classes today and after that I fair ran out of time. I'm disappointed that I didn't get there.

Pity Erny you couldnt make it, it certainly was an eye opener.

While all the dogs and handlers were friendly and polite, no denying that, I just couldn't get past some of the dogs hocks touching while they stood naturally and the weird walk of some of them. It could be because in my breed cow hocks are a bad fault and I have a "moderate" breed.

Pity Erny you couldnt make it, it certainly was an eye opener.

While all the dogs and handlers were friendly and polite, no denying that, I just couldn't get past some of the dogs hocks touching while they stood naturally and the weird walk of some of them. It could be because in my breed cow hocks are a bad fault and I have a "moderate" breed.

That's disappointing, because in the 'other thread' there was argument that Aussie GSD's didn't have the problems of this type of conformation as the UK GSD's did. That's what I wanted to go so I could see for myself and also to see if the judges were putting those dogs 'up'.

tollersowned' date='3rd May 2010 - 08:21 PM' post='4505748']

I don't know anything about the GSD standard but I personally wouldn't have gone for most of those dogs there to do any sort of dog sport. :eek:

Sadly, dog sport with a showline GSD IMO is a waste of time and too much of a gamble finding a good dog in Australia. Owning both a German showline and a DDR/Czech working line GSD, there is no comparison between the two. The working line GSD is much closer to the original standard from temperament onwards. I don't think the more square backed working line dogs rate well in modern conformation but they do walk on their feet properly without the severe angulation.

Oh for goodness sake, I do believe this thread was started to invite people down to a great show, not to again bring up the discussions of show vs working :wave:

Thanks Prada, yes my beautiful girl won her intermediate class of 45 bitches and then went on to get Reserve Challenge, a great achievement :D

I for one enjoyed the weekend (apart from the weather - but hey it's Melbourne) lovely dogs, great people and great judges :provoke:

Oh for goodness sake, I do believe this thread was started to invite people down to a great show, not to again bring up the discussions of show vs working :rofl:

Thanks Prada, yes my beautiful girl won her intermediate class of 45 bitches and then went on to get Reserve Challenge, a great achievement :)

I for one enjoyed the weekend (apart from the weather - but hey it's Melbourne) lovely dogs, great people and great judges :provoke:

Congrats Pockets!!!!! I didn't see you (wasn't sure who to look for :o) but well done!!!!! :wave: :D

Oh for goodness sake, I do believe this thread was started to invite people down to a great show, not to again bring up the discussions of show vs working :provoke:

That is correct, however several people were invited to the show specifically because of concerns of most dogs exaggerated features as was raised in a thread not too long ago, not necessarily to begin a show vs working line debate.

I was hoping to go and see some sound dogs as was promised too be there but was met with weird and horrid hindquarters. The fronts of most were beautiful, gorgeous heads, strong and solid forequarters. The two together is a weird combination and too me, the dogs looked best sitting!

I don't necessarily mean to debate/argue with breeders/exhibitors, but I was told to come down and have my views on the breeds unsound back end put too rest by viewing some of the best in the country.

It's sad that I was horrified at what I saw and what breeders and judges think are the apparant ideals of the breed.

Congrats on your win Pockets, regardless of my views, it is an awesome feat too win over 45 bitches in her class and then win reserve challenge at a National especially with such high numbers.

Edited by tollersowned

I was hoping to go and see some sound dogs as was promised too be there but was met with weird and horrid hindquarters. The fronts of most were beautiful, gorgeous heads, strong and solid forequarters. The two together is a weird combination and too me, the dogs looked best sitting!

The question is though, are these wierd and horrible hindquarters detrimental to the dog, or just not pleasing to your eyes??

I was sitting at the bitch ring most of the weekend, and that judge worked the bitches hard. The dogs who had weak hocks or overangulation just didn't keep up and were put further and further back hence it wasn't promoted as being ideal.

I heard the dog judge comment, of a dog in the Open class placed in the 3rd group (lowest placed) that he was a lovely dog but as a judge and warden of the breed, he couldn't place him higher due to undesirable angulation of the hind which they cannot be encouraging.

Its been said in past threads that GSDs cannot run, are falling down blah blah etc - I accept you don't find the look of the GSD's back end pleasing Tollersowned, but did you find this to be the case over the weekend? That the GSD as a breed is unsound?

Its been said in past threads that GSDs cannot run, are falling down blah blah etc - I accept you don't find the look of the GSD's back end pleasing Tollersowned, but did you find this to be the case over the weekend? That the GSD as a breed is unsound?

I have previously said in this thread that I don't like how they look, I prefer "moderate" looking dogs nothing that is overly exaggerated. Don't deny that. It can be found in GSDs, just obviously not at a National.

Too be honest I stayed only half an hour both days because I couldn't stand it anymore. What is the point of the dog being able to run if they can't even stand without hocks touching or being able to walk normally?

Wouldn't say the GSD breed as a whole are unsound, certainly some specific lines aren't helping the breed at all and IMO some of those lines are what I saw on the weekend.

I didn't go to the show with an preconceived ideas about the breed, I have no experience in the breed, but I certainly left with the knowledge that I would never own a specialty bred GSD.

Edited by tollersowned

Ok, Im a self confesed newby GSD owner and most of the posters know my story.. That being said can some one please explain what everyone is talking aboout???

Do you mean the angle that the dogs rear end slops to the ground or is it another issue about their legs..

Im always wanting info so I know what to look for when I get my next GSD :thumbsup:

Thanks

I was at the nationals too, and I have to say that I did see some dogs that i thought had 'hock issues' and over angulation, but like Ish said, the judges took notice and placed them further back.

It doesn't matter the breed, whenever you get a 'mass' entry there will ALWAYS be a number of animals who lack something (whether that be poor hind angulation, poor temperament etc.)...you cannot expect to visit a breed National show and see a perfect entry!

Get a grip, for the most part the breed is in good hands, dogs are awarded accordingly and as always personal preference plays a major part in what we as individuals like and dislike!

Just because one person may find a particular feature in a dog unacceptable, that does not mean that it is the case...

Oh for goodness sake, I do believe this thread was started to invite people down to a great show, not to again bring up the discussions of show vs working :rofl:

Thanks Prada, yes my beautiful girl won her intermediate class of 45 bitches and then went on to get Reserve Challenge, a great achievement :D

I for one enjoyed the weekend (apart from the weather - but hey it's Melbourne) lovely dogs, great people and great judges :)

Well done Pockets :rofl:

Edited by Black Bronson

It doesn't matter the breed, whenever you get a 'mass' entry there will ALWAYS be a number of animals who lack something (whether that be poor hind angulation, poor temperament etc.)...you cannot expect to visit a breed National show and see a perfect entry!

Get a grip, for the most part the breed is in good hands, dogs are awarded accordingly and as always personal preference plays a major part in what we as individuals like and dislike!Just because one person may find a particular feature in a dog unacceptable, that does not mean that it is the case...

I can't see how the breed is in good hands when working titled dogs are beaten by non titled dogs in a working dog class :)

:) but it's only you're opinion that those dogs being beaten are of better quality - I thought I made it very clear that just because someone dislikes something or thinks something else is better, doesn't mean that is the case!

Oh for goodness sake, I do believe this thread was started to invite people down to a great show, not to again bring up the discussions of show vs working :love:

I for one enjoyed the weekend (apart from the weather - but hey it's Melbourne) lovely dogs, great people and great judges :)

Congratulations Pockets!!!