Feeling Sad

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VA, i adore small breeds (and large ;) ). There is a GORGEOUS 18 month old female poodle, very sweet, mini, in the RESCUE purebreds on the DOL home page :thumbsup: I know you are not in a hurry, but she is worth a little look. ;) Lovely little girl. :laugh::) ;) :)

Can I suggest you start a dog search thread like the cav lady did? So many breeders would read it and may have the perfect suggestion or dog for you. Write up your list of requirements and the area your in, then sit back and watch a great thread evolve, and hopefully the perfect dog in your home at the end of it :thumbsup:

My answer to breed suggestions is now always Golden Retrievers!

I am smitten with my rescue girl, she is my first GR and she fulfills all your criteria- including watchdog. :thumbsup:

And dont worry about having this thread thrown back in your face when you do get a new dog. The majority of Dolers are extremely empathatic and supportive and will be behind you. I know because I have been there. :cry:

kai...while it may not be legal to crate your 10 yo.... i have to drag my 12yo out of the crate at times so the damn dog can get in! :thumbsup::cry:

va.... as for my jrt suggestion i dare you in the old days to try my OH's russell to steal anything.

lets just say if he got stopped for a breath test he would have to warn the officer not to put his hand in the car. he was also the reason why his house cleaner quit. i would not have trusted him not to bite even me. if he did not recognise me.

my jrt is ocd with his ball... will run all day. they are very very loyal, but any that are re homed like 2 of ours they take along time to settle but will bond to just one human more than the others.

they take along time to train.... the dally is a joy to do tricks with i find i gave up before the jrt learnt. although he does beg.

Gosh, I wish I were perfect like some people on DOL - :thumbsup::laugh: .

Hehe, not sure who you're refering to MM but I can tell you I'm faaarrrrr from perfect lol. But I certainly do have a lot more patience for dogs than children - especially mine (child that is!) :laugh: Dogs dont answer back, are always happy to see you and not only appreciate their dinner but also eat everything on the plate! More than I can say for Mr 10 today :eek:

voloclydes- Yep, I've often found my son in the crate. Usually with the dog lol.

VA- There are quite a few younger dogs/older puppies that come up in the mature dogs section. Ususally ones that haven't worked out as show dogs for whatever reason. Keep your eye's out and as someone has already suggested perhaps start a seperate thread with a bit more info about what you require in a dog and see what people suggest as a breed. You never know, you might find a breed that you'd never even considered turns out to be perfect for you :D

Sorry it didn't work out, but I'm glad you're doing the right thing by returning him immediately so he can find a great home that suits his needs too :thumbsup:

Have you considered a Cocker Spaniel? They're not toy/lap dogs and are roughly medium sized, so if you like large dogs but it seems impractical for you to get one, it's a great option. I grew up with them because my Dad loved the breed. He bought me two older retired show dogs when I was about 4, and I used to sit on them and ride them around like ponies, clip their ears back with hairbands, chase them around the garden (... gosh I was quite the tyrant!) and they never not once snapped or barked at me. Patient little things, they are! :laugh: