Titre Testing In Sydney

Just bumping this up to let those who were interested know that we're set to titre!

Excellent, Stormie :clap: and well done to your veterinary practice for getting up to speed :clap:.

Are you able/allowed to give indication of price here? If not, would you mind PMing me please? I'm trying to get my local Vet to do this too - if I can get an idea of cost it would be helpful.

Erny - Thanks! Ian has been quite keen to move to the 3 year regime and offer titre testing for sometime - we went to Jean Dodds when she came to Sydney so has known about it all for some time. But up till 6months ago, he was working for someone else. But since buying this clinic and being his own boss, we've been able to finally start doing all the things we have wanted to do.

What do you mean by price? How much we're charging or how much it costs us? It's no charge for us to open the account with VetPath in WA. Then we just pay the usual lab fee for each test. Getting the blood samples there is a bit fiddly, so I can imagine many vets would be reluctant to do it all through WA, particularly if they're not really for titre testing. It's much more convenient to just send the blood through our local lab, however literally costs twice as much.

CavsRcute - will pm you our details. Can't wait to meet you! And Orbit's here every day so you can meet him too and tell everyone how NORMAL he really is.

Hmmmm.... thinking about doing a run up to Sydney, three of mine need vaccinating and I would rather titre test.... would you do any discount for 3 at once? I would get the consult as well. PM me details please :noidea:

I took my girl to have her blood taken for the titre testing.

We met Stormie and saw Orbit through the window( he is very handsome :eek:

Ian the vet was great...so we will just wait and see what the results are.

Had a phone call from Ian last night....my girl's results are great! So no more vaccinations :rofl:

She was vaccinated until she was 4, then had a bad reaction. I had her tested in 08 and everything was fine, so I'm pretty sure that she will be good now for the rest of her life :rofl:

It only took a week for the results, so I'm very impressed with the service

• 8 months later...

i really need to check this up again here in Orange, last time i asked it was $300 + per dog :rofl:

Mine havent been vaccinated in 2 years.

how far are you from Orange? :(

ETA and just realised this is an old thread!

Edited by Teebs

Hi Teebs

Yeah so did I lol but hey someone may still know. Im on Central Coast. Im just thinking this may be good for my shepherd as he HATES the vets to the point where we have to give him his shot and his Nobivac KC nasal thingy as the vet cant get near him (he doesnt try to eat the vet but does growl and carry on so though this may be the way to go for him)

You still need to vaccinate anually for "kennel cough".

Especially if you are considering using a boarding facility, they won't take dogs that arent vaccinated for KC.

You also need to recheck the titres occaisonally.

The ones we do are quite expensive so I think 85 is a very good price, but we also send one of our tests overseas. It ends up being about the same price as a vaccination.

Im not worried about the KC as I get that done if I know we need to board and to be honest have had a dog come back with KC after being boarded even with the vac, just one of those things.

If I can get Max done and say not have to have him back at vets for 2-3 years then to me it is worth having the titre test done

I am also surprised at the cost of vaccinations these days as in how much they can range in costs. I get my guys done for $70 including the check up but the one up the road where my daughter goes charges $120.

Edited by PooMother

PM - this is where the waters get a bit muddy (so to speak).

The titre test done soon after vaccination (not to suggest that a later titre won't show anything) will confirm whether your dog has sero-conversion of the antibodies for which s/he has been vaccinated.

This is a test you can have done for peace of mind. Some places will accept these as a form of immunity evidence as well.

As time moves on, especially if your dog has not been exposed to any of the core diseases for which s/he has been vaccinated, the antibodies can disappear from the blood. But that doesn't necessarily mean your dog's body doesn't know how to fight off the said diseases should it be exposed to them one day. Things I have read tell me that there is such as thing as "cell memory". When the cell's memory of the disease/s is jogged by exposure to the said diseases, the body triggers to defence and produces the antibodies needed to aid in protection. If this is the case, there'd really be no need to re-vaccinate.

I always forget the veterinary technically correct way of wording/describing this so I might be slightly wrong in the usage of some of my words, but this is how I recall and understand it.

Just rang a couple of my local vets the other day to enquire on the cost for titre testing.

One clinic - was confused at what titre testing even was (at least the girl who answered the phone, and even after asking couldn't really come back to me with a proper answer)

The clinic I usually go to quoted over $400 for each dog!!! Being a student and with 3 dogs, there was no way I can pay that amount.

$85 yay :thumbsup: I am on the Central Coast but will look at making appointments for my 3 in the next few weeks - can't beat good value!