Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

I saw my first real life Akita today!!! It (! was driving past..) was very handsome. The face shots are misleading to what the dog looks like - I imagined a big fluff ball! But the one I saw looked really athletic! Anyway, it was walking right near my house so I'll have to keep a lookout!

Ava - happy birthday to the prettiest dog on DOL!

KTB - good grief... what must your job be if that's how you type when you're at work... that made me laugh out loud! I can imagine that you have some of diplomatic role, yes? I remember when I was writing my thesis, I started talking like that too. Then after reading my friend's thesis for her, she being a native German speaker, I still can't get rid of some of the 'ways of saying things' that are so not english.

I just finished watching that show too Betsy. I was impressed mostly by the German-speaking BC (I made myself laugh out loud with that one... yeah slow jokes day). I was also interested in the idea of using dogs to identify genes for human diseases. I was at a talk the other day, its not far off that to sequence a genome will only cost $1000. Interesting times.

Lilli_star - hope you feel better soon.

KTB: you can so tell Hoover is from the country....

O wuffles they are so beautiful. I love Ava's grumpy expression as she sits for the photo - she's kind of doing the seal ears that Elbie does, too. I also love Satch's 'whomp!" Sometimes for no reason, Elbie will just plonk a paw on Hoover's head. Cracks me up :(

ETA: Ava still glows white. You must be touching up her photos in photoshop :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

As requested... lots of puppy pics from various stages :laugh: Everyone... make sure you take lots of photos of your pups as they grow up soooo fast :(

I will need to get The Ark to come in here and post the most recent photo of her boys (Ava's brothers). They have all grown up to be stunners!

post-24815-1291201013_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201022_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201028_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201037_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201045_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201053_thumb.jpg post-24815-1291201060_thumb.jpg

KTB - good grief... what must your job be if that's how you type when you're at work... that made me laugh out loud! I can imagine that you have some of diplomatic role, yes? I remember when I was writing my thesis, I started talking like that too. Then after reading my friend's thesis for her, she being a native German speaker, I still can't get rid of some of the 'ways of saying things' that are so not english.

I had to look up what nomenclature meant :(

I will need to get The Ark to come in here and post the most recent photo of her boys (Ava's brothers). They have all grown up to be stunners!

Oh really? I didn't know that :D

I think my favourite pic of Ava was that one where she was 'swimming' on the pool cover :thumbsup:

Awww, KTB, Goofy/Patch looks like a sweetie! I wonder why he's being moved on so quickly? Especially when it says "No kill"??? :thumbsup: So many needy doglets out there :D

Not sure :party: Not only did he look miserable in all the photos but the video footage they gave me was about 15 minutes of poor doggy sniffing the ground ... Sigh. Anyway,

is what I managed to cobble together based on what I got. Now onto Snuggles ...

I remember when I was writing my thesis, I started talking like that too.

I do the same. My writing turns rather quaint when I'm doing essays or writing up research and my speech can't help but follow suit. I'm also terrible after having watched too many English television shows. Period dramas are the worst - I tend to start lapsing into the accent and vocabulary after a while :D

Wuffles, you have me longing for an Australian Shepherd puppy now. The three of them together is a perfect shot.

KTB, I was sitting here thinking that Goofy was the perfect name for the beautiful boy until it occured to me that I'm thinking of Pluto, not Goofy. He has a look about him that is pure Pluto. Such a mournful face - I hope there's a bright future for him. Especially given he's being moved on so urgently :thumbsup:

Hi Canberra people! :thumbsup:

I've been assured I won't start a fight if I come in here, so I've popped in to post some pics of Ava's family as requested. :party:

Firstly - here are her two brothers. Dragon is the blue, Tally is the red.

The%20birthday%20boys.jpg

And here is a pic of the two boys with their mum, Vivi. Vivi did not feel like having her photo taken at that particular moment. :D

Dragon,%20Tally%20&%20Vivi.jpg

The rain has been most annoying here. Makes the dog crazy and muddy. NOT a good combination I thought as I was cleaning mud off the walls (and the floor, and me, and the couch :D ) And the long term forecast is for a wet summer!

Beautiful photos of Ziggy! He looks like such a lovely dude.

This weather is doing my head in - Kuma has been on house arrest for the last few days because he managed to work out how to get behind our chicken wire fence and dig at the trees. Turd. Have to fix it on the weekend... We still go out for our walks, rain or shine but I managed to get soooooo drenched yesterday!

I's sick :(

Hope you're feeling better lilli_star, and it was just a 24hr bug or something.

The thread that has annoyed me today is this one. I've seen it before - someone's made to feel bad so they then go and pick on someone weaker - presumably it makes one feel better :party: You will always be able to tell when a thread has made me peevish because I find I start writing as if I'm at work :D

hmmm, I hadn't read the thread originally, but understand what you're saying. I think that they're either picking on someone to make themselves feel better, or to prove that they've actually learned something and have risen to the status of Learned Expert.

But like my OH said when we were discussing techniques and a training plan the other night - "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy" . It really will depend in large part on the dog!

Can non-Spitz people vote in the Spitz Calender? I used to own one, does that count? :thumbsup:

Ohh that's a great line... may have to steal that and pack it in my back of tricks :p

Yep - vote away... the more the merrier!

Little Miss Grumpy had to sit still while I take a photo of her with her present.

IMG_2936.jpg

I love how in this photo she looks like she's got a mo. It's very Inspector Closueau...

I saw my first real life Akita today!!! It (! was driving past..) was very handsome. The face shots are misleading to what the dog looks like - I imagined a big fluff ball! But the one I saw looked really athletic! Anyway, it was walking right near my house so I'll have to keep a lookout!

I'll have to take some more "body shots" for you then... Kuma is not what I'd call Athletic, but still quite lean.

I just finished watching that show too Betsy. I was impressed mostly by the German-speaking BC (I made myself laugh out loud with that one... yeah slow jokes day). I was also interested in the idea of using dogs to identify genes for human diseases.

I've got a copy of the show and started watching the first bit – will try to finish it tonight. What I saw was very interesting although the voiceover and music was a bit dramatic. Made me giggle. When I was reading/watching "My Sister's Keeper" I was intrigued about the service dogs that can 'smell' when their owners are about to have a seizure and give them a warning. Extremely cool – but kind of weird at the same time. Sometimes I stare at Elbie and wonder what he can smell and whether he's overwhelmed by how smelly we are.

On an unrelated but sort of tangential issue, Elbie and Hoover have totally different smells! Elbie has Traditional Dog Smell. He smells like a dog. Hoover on the other hand, smells almost like grass and herbs. I initially thought that it was because he was on the breeder's diet when he joined us and was from a farm but he still smells herbal even after all this time.

you can so tell Hoover is from the country....

Haha. Maybe that explains why he's so chilled and laid back, too. Last night OH was making a Christmas present and was using a heat gun – Elbie went absolutely bonkers and Hoover gave one sympathy bark in support of Elbie but was otherwise completely relaxed. :laugh:

Niques: Your wish for an Australian Shepherd can be granted! I believe the Ark might have an upcoming litter in the near future ;) Imagine how cute James would look next to his Aussie Shepherd Sibling. ;)

The Ark: Haha! It does look like the Canberra thread sometimes but only wuffles, Clastic, KumaAkita, Primedogs, CleoJ and I believe foxyboi are in Canberra. The others are from Other Parts of the country. Your dogs are beautiful. :)

This weather is doing my head in - Kuma has been on house arrest for the last few days because he managed to work out how to get behind our chicken wire fence and dig at the trees. Turd. Have to fix it on the weekend... We still go out for our walks, rain or shine but I managed to get soooooo drenched yesterday!

Our two have gone on only two walks during this patch of wet weather but they seem to keep themselves pretty entertained by chasing each other around the yard/house and chilling out. I am very admiring of devoted dog owners who take their dogs our regardless of the weather – OH and I are not like that :p I guess we're lucky we have two couch potatoes who don't get destructive. The toileting problem has been partially resolved by taking them out one at a time on lead.

hmmm, I hadn't read the thread originally, but understand what you're saying. I think that they're either picking on someone to make themselves feel better, or to prove that they've actually learned something and have risen to the status of Learned Expert.

Yes … there's usually no malice intended … it's kind of an unconscious way to make oneself feel better. I also used to see it a bit at school when I was little … white kids would bully an ethnic kid and then ethnic kid would go and bully a weaker minority kid ;) Oh well. I am so glad that the thread didn't implode with toxicity like some threads do.

I'll have to take some more "body shots" for you then... Kuma is not what I'd call Athletic, but still quite lean.

I don't have video footage unfortunately but Kuma definitely goes running around in the offlead area at Dog School with the other doggies but the funny thing is that quite often when he comes to a standstill, he finds himself draped with little dogs.

In other news, to my relief, the rescue group was happy with the video of Patch – who I agree could go well as a Pluto. To my relief, I was able to put together a short video for the other 'urgent' rescue dog, being

I had almost no photos or description of her so the video is very short but I hope it's enough to show off her pretty eyes, pretty colouring and lovely affectionate nature. It's so much easier when I can see the dog in person and OH can take photos and I can take the video footage. We'll be visiting one of Kate's foster carers this weekend to take footage of two foster doggies

I just finished watching that show too Betsy. I was impressed mostly by the German-speaking BC (I made myself laugh out loud with that one... yeah slow jokes day). I was also interested in the idea of using dogs to identify genes for human diseases.

I've got a copy of the show and started watching the first bit – will try to finish it tonight. What I saw was very interesting although the voiceover and music was a bit dramatic. Made me giggle. When I was reading/watching "My Sister's Keeper" I was intrigued about the service dogs that can 'smell' when their owners are about to have a seizure and give them a warning. Extremely cool – but kind of weird at the same time. Sometimes I stare at Elbie and wonder what he can smell and whether he's overwhelmed by how smelly we are.

On an unrelated but sort of tangential issue, Elbie and Hoover have totally different smells! Elbie has Traditional Dog Smell. He smells like a dog. Hoover on the other hand, smells almost like grass and herbs. I initially thought that it was because he was on the breeder's diet when he joined us and was from a farm but he still smells herbal even after all this time.

you can so tell Hoover is from the country....

Haha. Maybe that explains why he's so chilled and laid back, too. Last night OH was making a Christmas present and was using a heat gun – Elbie went absolutely bonkers and Hoover gave one sympathy bark in support of Elbie but was otherwise completely relaxed. ;)

Niques: Your wish for an Australian Shepherd can be granted! I believe the Ark might have an upcoming litter in the near future ;) Imagine how cute James would look next to his Aussie Shepherd Sibling. :p

The Ark: Haha! It does look like the Canberra thread sometimes but only wuffles, Clastic, KumaAkita, Primedogs, CleoJ and I believe foxyboi are in Canberra. The others are from Other Parts of the country. Your dogs are beautiful. :)

Our two have gone on only two walks during this patch of wet weather but they seem to keep themselves pretty entertained by chasing each other around the yard/house and chilling out. I am very admiring of devoted dog owners who take their dogs our regardless of the weather – OH and I are not like that :p I guess we're lucky we have two couch potatoes who don't get destructive. The toileting problem has been partially resolved by taking them out one at a time on lead.

Yes … there's usually no malice intended … it's kind of an unconscious way to make oneself feel better. I also used to see it a bit at school when I was little … white kids would bully an ethnic kid and then ethnic kid would go and bully a weaker minority kid ;) Oh well. I am so glad that the thread didn't implode with toxicity like some threads do.

I don't have video footage unfortunately but Kuma definitely goes running around in the offlead area at Dog School with the other doggies but the funny thing is that quite often when he comes to a standstill, he finds himself draped with little dogs.

In other news, to my relief, the rescue group was happy with the video of Patch – who I agree could go well as a Pluto. To my relief, I was able to put together a short video for the other 'urgent' rescue dog, being

I had almost no photos or description of her so the video is very short but I hope it's enough to show off her pretty eyes, pretty colouring and lovely affectionate nature. It's so much easier when I can see the dog in person and OH can take photos and I can take the video footage. We'll be visiting one of Kate's foster carers this weekend to take footage of two foster doggies

My humble apologies for assuming everyone in here lives in Canberra (too lazy to go and check out everyone's sigs :laugh: ). The videos you put together for the rescue doggies are wonderful, KTB. How lucky they and their foster-carers are to have your help. ;)

My humble apologies for assuming everyone in here lives in Canberra (too lazy to go and check out everyone's sigs :laugh: ). The videos you put together for the rescue doggies are wonderful, KTB. How lucky they and their foster-carers are to have your help. ;)

No need to apologise! ;) It does look like half of the tiny population of Canberra posts to this thread now and then :)

Yes, it does seem very much like a Canberra thread. I think the rest of us shall just have to be honourary Canberrians.

Little Miss Grumpy had to sit still while I take a photo of her with her present.

IMG_2936.jpg

I love how in this photo she looks like she's got a mo. It's very Inspector Closueau...

;) I hadn't noticed her little mo. Pop a trilby hat on her head and the impression is complete.

Niques: Your wish for an Australian Shepherd can be granted! I believe the Ark might have an upcoming litter in the near future ;) Imagine how cute James would look next to his Aussie Shepherd Sibling. :p

Shhh! Don't make me even more puppy clucky ;) They are gorgeous dogs, though. There was an ex-show prospect who used to attend James' puppy obedience classes. I had thought they were a beautiful breed just judging from photos - sooo much more stunning in real life!

I'm rather intrigued by Herbal Hoover. The way you described it I couldn't help but picture someone rubbing spices on him like he were a Sunday roast :) James went through a phase of smelling like clean linen :laugh: He's never smelt very doggy. He leaves dog odour behind but if you sniff him directly it's not a doggy smell.

Yes Ava has a mo, how cute is it :)

I think I can see one on her brother Tally too, in his photo. Must run in the fam :laugh:

My two smell different too. I think Ava smells more doggie and Satch just like... Satch.

I wish there were more Aussies at dog training. The one who used to be there (Mia) seems to have dropped out ;) Ava and her had so much fun together. Someone in Canberra needs to get an Aussie ;)

Yes Ava has a mo, how cute is it :)

I think I can see one on her brother Tally too, in his photo. Must run in the fam :laugh:

My two smell different too. I think Ava smells more doggie and Satch just like... Satch.

I wish there were more Aussies at dog training. The one who used to be there (Mia) seems to have dropped out ;) Ava and her had so much fun together. Someone in Canberra needs to get an Aussie :p

Oh Thank Goodness... I thought there was a slim chance you'd be upset that I said your girl had a mo... ;) It's just adorable...

Kuma only smells when it's time for a bath or when he's wet, other than that he's fairly odourless.

I can't get an Aussie - I think Kuma would slobber the puppy's ear off! :p ;)

I'm rather intrigued by Herbal Hoover. The way you described it I couldn't help but picture someone rubbing spices on him like he were a Sunday roast :)

:laugh: It's very weird. Elbie smells like our old family dog did and like all the other dogs I can 'smell' at dog school but Hoover's smell isn't so much a 'food spices' smell - he smells like medicinal herbs and grass.

I had also wondered whether it had something to do with his medical treatments before he Left the Farm but like I said he's been bathed a couple of times since getting here and he still smells quite Herbal, which is rather lovely. Sometimes he's sitting there sniffing at me and I'm sniffing right back at him. ;)

ETA: Most common dog names of late - Mia, Archer/Archie, Banjo

Edited by koalathebear

The Ark: What beautiful dogs! It's amazing just how different they all look in the different colours!

KTB:

It's fascinating what dogs can smell/sense, and it's going to be interesting with our dog too. Dogs sure know there is something different about me, but it doesn't seem to bother them or freak them out, just interests them. If there's a group of people and dogs, you can bet the dogs are sniffing me :) . It's interesting that in WA at least (I imagine it's the same in other states) that if you have a seizure disorder and your pet dog starts indicating when you are going to have one, the Service Dog people will train your pet dog as a service dog for you.

wuffles: Love all the shots of Ava!