Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Great photos Wuffles, 'specially the last one :o . I love the way Aussies play so rough. I look out for labs at the beach for Ziggy to play with as they seem to handle it well......

Have just been for a walk with The Lunging One, tried the front harness, worked well. I am trying to get Ziggy to run on lead, but it seems that he thinks that means jumping around like a lunatic. And biting his lead :hug: We also played with the frisbee, and I can confidently say that catching it mid air yesterday was not a fluke!

EFS :laugh:

Edited by betsy

Like many - have been reading but not posting..... :laugh:

But Wuffles - wow! You look so so so beautiful! And that beach, that sky! Today it feels like winter in Melbourne - but that beach, that sky! (And of course the doggies look in their element!).

KA: hope you and your family are feeling better soon.

Betsy: a challenge for you to capture Ziggy in motion!

Lilli_star and Wizzle: Mice. Gross. I wonder if they're attracted to dog food though? We had a few in our old house after we looked after a friend's lab, and we figured they were after the food. But I hate them too! My OH works with them - and when we were at the same uni in NQld I would go to see if he wanted to have lunch from time to time, and often walked in on him going through the mice's intestines looking for the peyer's patches (think tiny lymph nodes). Sorry wizzle!

Well i have a very sleepy puppy tonight. Yesterday and today he's spent the day, while we're at work, with our dog-friend, who has three dogs of his own. Both days, Max didn't stop the whole day long - and basically crashes out upon arriving home! I almost wonder if I've brought the wrong dog home! I think I can pretty much say he's had two of the best days of his life. :hug:

Speaking of high-energy dogs, I was surprised KTB to read that you're trying to squash the drive? Especially in the light of that you've managed to teach him so much 'the way that he is'. (At my new work, I've told them about Max - of course - and they were all really curious how I got into doing all that training stuff - and thinking back, I never would've - its just that Max wanted to learn.... what you said, KTB, reminded me of that). Just pondering - but I was wondering with Max whether or not there's some things that he's more suited to because of his personality and the hyperactiveness that comes along with that. For example, Ava, Hoover, Mars sound suited to obedience because of their personalities. The more hyper dogs sound more suited to excelling in, well my experience, flyball. I'm not sure where agility, herding or other 'sports' fit in that though. And then following from that, there's some behaviours that I figure I just have to 'put up with', so to speak.

Anyway, here's my hyper puppy right now....

post-35830-1299229196_thumb.jpg

I've turned the exposure right up so you can see his squishy little face! He didn't even wake up when I moved to get that photo - so he's seriously KO'd. This is rare.

In terms of face-licking. I'm also a no-go person there. But some dogs just manage to sneak one in! (For example one of the dogs at my friend's place today will greet you by coming up to you and looking at you with big brown bc eyes, and just as you lean down and coo... he jumps up and smacks you one right on the mouth - he gets me every time). Max, while never eating his own poo (but standing in it a thousand times), loves to wait until you get out of the shower then help you dry off. Gross. But sweet.

I can't think of anything else I've missed. But my heart goes out to the rescues. KTB I'm sure the videos make a big difference. :o

I have my fridge back- yay! :hug: I was stuffed around a bit, but bless the husbands of people I work with for picking it up for me :cry:

Operation Mouse Trap is still ongoing- no mouzers caught so far.

Wuffles, great photos :mad Loved the ones of the doglets on the beach (what a huge beach and such a gorgeous day by the looks of it), and of course the one from your wedding. Very pretty, and the flowers are so striking in contrast to the dresses.

...a pug x jrt and no, they don't call him a Jug (thank god, I might have to slap 'em).

Oh thank God! Bloody stupid name anyway- couldn't believe my hairdresser said it with a straight face last year when she said her husband wanted one!

Hope you feel better soon KA. I haven't been to Vietnam, but I think my sister has (hard to keep track, she's been to so many countries, partly through her work). I recently tasted Vietnamese food for the first time, and if that's any consolation, it was delish! :cry::laugh:

Koala, I'm not a fan of boofy type dogs like Pitbulls etc, but Delta looks so dignified. I really hope she finds a happy home. What's the secret to Elbie's heeling? Please share! :clap:

My sister in law said Roo should come home about a stone lighter since she has not stopped running around with their blue monster (Lucky their rescue dog) the entire time! :o I'll go over and get her tomorrow- and thus the sulking shall begin. Roo will sulk for me taking her away from all of her fun, and the cat will sulk because the black monster will be back. :)

Hopefully she'll just sleep like Max :)

The local show is coming up soon. There's a pet show as part of it. Dare I enter the black monster??? :)

Edited by lilli_star

I'm glad you all enjoyed the corgi puppy video. For those who've never seen the variety of colours - its one of the big diffences between Cardigan and Pembroke Corgi breeds, that the Cardi's come in such a wider range of colours. Shandy is quite a red brindle, and my next Cardi will hopefully be a blue merle!

If you're interested in the colours, here's a link that shows some of the colour variations in Cardis;

Colours

Wuffles, that looks gorgeous! Both the gorgeous colours (and you!) at your wedding, and the lovely beach shots. We're going down the coast for a long weekend in a few weeks, staying in a dog friendly house at Malua Bay. It will be Ms Shandy's first experience of real surf - considering that she didn't even like the wavelets in the harbour at my parents, I don't think she'll like it much!

Also, are you planning to enter the BDOC trial at the end of the month? If you are, don't forget to get an entry in this week - I can give you some official forms, if you need them?

KTB, you'll have to tell me some more about your session with Steve. We're looking at organising him to do a weekend workshop down here, or a couple of us might go down for his mid year workshop. And nice work with the advertsing vids!

wuffles: the photos are gorgeous! I liked the 'bonus' photos over on facebook, too :thumbsup: The two of them looked like they had such a great time. Did they swallow much sea water? I've read posts on DOL that have made me a little anxious about the after effects of sea water :thumbsup:

lilli_star: so glad you have your fridge back!

Max#1:

Speaking of high-energy dogs, I was surprised KTB to read that you're trying to squash the drive? Especially in the light of that you've managed to teach him so much 'the way that he is'. (At my new work, I've told them about Max - of course - and they were all really curious how I got into doing all that training stuff - and thinking back, I never would've - its just that Max wanted to learn.... what you said, KTB, reminded me of that). Just pondering - but I was wondering with Max whether or not there's some things that he's more suited to because of his personality and the hyperactiveness that comes along with that. For example, Ava, Hoover, Mars sound suited to obedience because of their personalities. The more hyper dogs sound more suited to excelling in, well my experience, flyball. I'm not sure where agility, herding or other 'sports' fit in that though. And then following from that, there's some behaviours that I figure I just have to 'put up with', so to speak.

We love Elbie and don't want to try to change his personality or the things that make him him. The issue is that his hyperactiveness is more than just being energetic/excitable. I'd class Hoover as energetic and excitable but not hyperactive and overly drivey. Elbie has two extremes - being extremely chilled and then being out of control wild. Basically when he goes into that upper end of berserker mode there are a few problems:

1. it's impossible to reach him - he's in a frenzy, can't hear anything, doesn't care about food - he'd probably bite if you got in his way. It doesn't mean he's aggressive - it just means he can't control himself once he's been in that condition. He snaps out of quickly and knows he's done the wrong thing and looks ashamed.

2. He distresses himself and frustrates us with all the lunging, barking. If you'd seen the way he can attack a leash when in the throes of berserker mode, it's actually kind of scary - also I can barely restrain him when he's like that. I'd hate to accidentally release his leash etc.

It's not possible to kill prey drive - Elbie's always going to be a very drivey dog and that's fine, great even, but right now the prey drive is entirely uncontrolled - it's triggered by things like cars, new situations blah blah blah. The car thing in particular was dangerous because if he wasn't on a leash, I'm sure he would chase the car. So what we are doing is trying to lower the excitement levels of those things so that they don't send him into a frenzy anymore. We want it so that he can see a car, a new person, another dog without going nuts. Once all of that's under control, we want him to go nuts when it's time for him to go nuts e.g. when playing/training etc. K9 Steve has what he calls 'the handbreak technique' which deals with the scales of excitement that dogs go through.

A few trainers have mentioned that dogs look to us for structure and direction and a dog like Elbie will be happier in a structured environment where play and work are separate and he knows his boundaries. As an example,

when he is calm - he did all of this without any food - although he knew that right at the end of it, we'd probably give him some kibble. He has such human-looking eyes in this video.

Here are some photos of the doggies:

4mar_01.jpg

4mar_02.jpg

4mar_03.jpg

4mar_04.jpg

4mar_05.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Wuffles, that looks gorgeous! Both the gorgeous colours (and you!) at your wedding, and the lovely beach shots. We're going down the coast for a long weekend in a few weeks, staying in a dog friendly house at Malua Bay. It will be Ms Shandy's first experience of real surf - considering that she didn't even like the wavelets in the harbour at my parents, I don't think she'll like it much!

We stayed at Batehaven which is right next to Malua Bay :o Make sure you check which beaches are off leash 24 hours and which are time share because it can be a bit tricky... last time we took Satch to the beach he was scared of the waves too, but he seemed ok this time!

Also, are you planning to enter the BDOC trial at the end of the month? If you are, don't forget to get an entry in this week - I can give you some official forms, if you need them?

I still can't decide :thumbsup: I guess I should go ahead and do it. Just not sure our heeling is ready! I am so confused about what I have to do now though - everyone was telling me that Ava's papers need to be transferred to the ACT instead of NSW? I am a member of DogsACT but her papers are still DogsNSW. Ehhhhhhhhhh? I might have to talk to you on Sunday, can you please bring some forms? :thumbsup:

Well I managed to find a combination of food that Astrid at least pays some attention to! Yay! A nice mix of ham and chicken devon stuff, vintage cheddar, salami and tinned tuna, all mixed and squooshed together. I'm pretty sure that people can smell me about 1km away! The cats have started to pay me more attention too :o

We will see how we go tomorrow at obedience, but at least in the last couple of days I've been able to practice some sit stays and drop stays at the park with some distractions.

My OH used to let Astrid lick his cheeks and ears :D it just grosses me out so much! I told him that if Astrid kisses him, I won't :D She tries to lick me when I get out of the shower too, I have to make sure she can't get to the bathroom.

There must be chicken bone vibes in the air! We got back from our walk tonight and the cats had been in the bin (grumble grumble) and there was a cooked chicken bone laying right in the middle of the kitchen floor! Astrid snaffled it before I realised what was going on. I got such a fright I yelled "leave it!" and she got so scared she spat it out and ran to bed :rofl: I don't think she's ever heard me raise my voice before. She's ok now though.

We also got some good news that a good friend of OH's here is finally getting his Fiance's immigration stuff sorted out and she will be moving here from Thailand in July :thumbsup: I am SOOO happy! He used to live there and they met when he went to her salon for a haircut. I think it's been very difficult for her to leave her family :cry:. OH and I are trying to learn some Thai before she gets here.

KumaAkita: Hope you're feeling better!! Vietnam! How exciting! I'm sure you will have a great time. We know a few people who have been and loved it :o.

KTB: Your neighbours sound a little odd! He holds chickens up over the fence? :D I think he needs a hobby!

I've actually lived here since 2006, and owned the place since 2004 and I don't know any of my neighbours :rofl: In fact, I recently discovered that the place right next to me was empty for about 6 months and I had no idea! :D The neighbours that I did know moved and I didn't know :rofl:

Delta is lovely! I have a real soft spot for bull breeds. I hope she finds a good home, pity she'd be in danger anywhere but the ACT I think.

wuffles: Awwww! Lovely pics! Of the doggies and of you :o Did it all go well? I hope you had a really magical day!!

I will have heaps more questions soon :cry: I am going to the Western Classic dog show here on Sunday and Monday nights, and am going to look at some Aussies in the ring and doing agility, can't wait!

betsy: I have exactly the same problem!! If I run while she's on lead she jumps up at me and goes mental, perhaps she and Ziggy are related! Not that I can run much :rofl:

lilli_star: Yay for working fridges!! And you totally should enter Ruby! :thumbsup:

Cleo_J: Thanks for the link, that's really interesting! I had no idea they came in so many colours! I've known a couple of Pembroke Corgis but never any Cardigan (as far as I'm aware) what kind of differences are there in temperament etc?

Edited by ravenau1

Well I managed to find a combination of food that Astrid at least pays some attention to! Yay! A nice mix of ham and chicken devon stuff, vintage cheddar, salami and tinned tuna, all mixed and squooshed together. I'm pretty sure that people can smell me about 1km away! The cats have started to pay me more attention too :thumbsup:

Cleo_J: Thanks for the link, that's really interesting! I had no idea they came in so many colours! I've known a couple of Pembroke Corgis but never any Cardigan (as far as I'm aware) what kind of differences are there in temperament etc?

Sometimes I make up a kind of treat biscuit out of things like this - smoosh it all together, add an egg, and some rice flour, and bake it, until its a manageable texture! Glad it's working well for you though!

The big differences physically are that the Cardi's are bigger, smoother coated, and have larger, more triangular shaped ears. They never had their tails ocked either - so they used to be described as the corgis with a tail. The Cardis are a lot more laid back in temperament, which is a large part of what appealed to me. Having always owned big dogs, I really like their temperaments. They are a bit more standoffish to strangers too, but I don't have a problem with that. And something which sounds odd, but is actually true, is that the Cardis are often described as having a sense of humour!

WUFFLES;

I still can't decide embarrass.gif I guess I should go ahead and do it. Just not sure our heeling is ready! I am so confused about what I have to do now though - everyone was telling me that Ava's papers need to be transferred to the ACT instead of NSW? I am a member of DogsACT but her papers are still DogsNSW. Ehhhhhhhhhh? I might have to talk to you on Sunday, can you please bring some forms?

I think you should give it a go - you guys are looking great, and you may as well take advantage of familiar ground. You do need to register Ava under your number - but you can always go into DOGSACT office to do that immediately. Actually, you might want to check - providing you both have a number, you may be able to enter anyway? I'll bring some forms, and we'll have a chat on Sunday about it - we'll be happy to get you started!

Hi Peeps!

Wuffles - You looked STUNNING!!! And I have to agree, the orange looks awesome against the blue! I hope you have a long and happy life together. :) Ava and Satch look like they had a great time at the beach! And I agree Max, it is bloody freezing here in Melbourne. I am wearing ugg boots to work today!

KTB - I admire the way you really know your doglets! I love the pic of Hoover on the clamshell! Nothing like a bit of a sunbake!

Lils - Great news about the fridge!

Rav - I know what you mean about the licking... gross! That is why we taught Genevieve to 'kiss'. She knows that is all she is allowed to do (doesn't stop her trying for the big dog pash though!).

Max - You made me laugh out loud at work!!!! This thread will seriously get me sacked for disturbing the peace one day (oh... how sad! :) ).

Well, I have some pics of the mut! Whenever I have an apple (or a pear), I give her the core. But the rule is she has to have it outside... so this is her trying to get back inside. :(

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

Please excuse dog slobbered windows! We fat preggy types can't get down that low to clean them at the moment! Genevieve pretends she doesn't know what windex is.

Ooh! ;) :rofl::) :) Clastic! Hope you've had a fab day :)

wizzle, that first photo of Miss G with the apple core is an absolute classic! :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Love it!

I have my black monster back! She was waaaaaaay stinky due to general merriment at the farm- swimming in the dam, rolling in dead sheep and cow and sheep poo, eating the compost etc etc Also, completely ignored me when I got there :cry:

Here she is with my brother's workdogs and the doglet he rescued, Lucky (aka Blue Monster).

dogs.jpg

dogs1.jpg

Lucky was very domineering over Roo when we first arrived last Friday, but before long, they were best mates getting up to all sorts of mischief. I guess that's due to Lucky's bumpy start in life :(

All the dogs get along really well together, which I was surprised at because the workdogs are usually kept separate to the "housedogs".

Ruby is currently sleeping off a big week in...wait for it...HER VERY EXPENSIVE DOGBED!!!!! Yes, that's right people, I have proof!

rubyinbed.jpg

She's still snoring away.

This was what greeted us earlier tonight though when Roo and I went to get her "chewie" (deer antler) from her crate.

jaspercrate.jpg

jasperruby.jpg

That's Jasper my cat doing what cats do- taking over all furniture/spaces as their own. A bit Goldilocks-esque though, isn't it? :laugh:

Edited by lilli_star

Hey everyone, wow so many great pics to check out (even if I do have to log onto a proxy here at work coz our work internet is rubbish!!)

Wuffles your wedding dress looked lovely and I'm so jealous of that beach!

Vague question for you all coz I'm a noob and I'm slow. Is there some sort of forum that only 'appears' after you've reached a certain number of posts? I've seen mention of it recently but I don't know if it exists and if it does how many posts you have to have before you can post in it. :rofl:

Anyway, 8 days til I get my little bundle of love, I so can't wait.

Fen

Vague question for you all coz I'm a noob and I'm slow. Is there some sort of forum that only 'appears' after you've reached a certain number of posts? I've seen mention of it recently but I don't know if it exists and if it does how many posts you have to have before you can post in it. :)

Anyway, 8 days til I get my little bundle of love, I so can't wait.

Fen

Ahhh, yes. That would be the realm of "Off Topic", and can only be reached after 150 posts I think (or maybe 100?), upon which a whole new world of over-sharing and TMI shall be revealed to you :rofl: Sadly, posts to our cozy corner don't count (boo!), so you have to get cracking in General to rack up enough posts to get a glimpse of Off Topic Land.

Look forward to pics of your new pupper when it arrives :)

Don't worry Fenstar, your not alone. I don't think I have ventured out of this corner of the board in over 6 months! I used to be a bit OCD with my posting in some of the other forums (KTB et.al will remember well), but these days, I just ask any questions I have in here. I used the boards well in the early days and I won't deny I learnt a lot and met some great people, but I am a little like KTB and my feathers get ruffled when I read things I don't like or agree with and can't help but bite back. I don't need the stress!!! I also am confident enough in my own dog rearing now to not take everything I hear as gospel. In those early days, I felt so so guilty because I didn't do exactly as the DOL 'experts' dictated. Hasn't seemed to have harmed Genevieve too much though!! :)

So, who knows what my post count would be if every post I had in here counted!!! Probably over double. But as far as I know, there is no giant wheel of Brie cheese and a bottle of crisp white wine waiting for she with the largest post count.... So I am happy to bow out of that competition. :laugh: (It's the only little dude with a wine glass!!!!!) :cry:

Question: How often do you bath your dogs, if indeed you do bath them?

I bathed G this morning (She gets bathed between fortnightly and monthly, depending on how feral she gets. I try to time it with her flea treatments). Anyway, I finish bathing her and I'm pottering about cleaning up and doing the normal chores... and it is all very quiet...... Quiet is never good in this house, we have learnt that!!!

So I am wandering around trying to find her, only to see her sun baking on the front lawn!!!!! Yes, we frozen types in Melbourne finally have some sun today and G was not going to miss it!!!!! I must not have closed the front door properly and she escaped out the door! I took a sneaky picture or two through the nursery window, but my camera died as I took the last one. It is on charge now, so I will upload a bit later. It was very cute! She was quite happy out there. As long as she comes back in with dry, mud free paws!!! :)

Wanted: Companion for long beach walks............must also be crazy enough for zoomies, bitey face and body slamming. Small dogs need not apply.

Fenstar - you must be getting excited, your puppy is so cute! It is 150 posts until you reach off topic. The safest way if to make inane comments in either general or puppy section...

Wizzle - Miss G is looking very cute in those photos!

Lilli_star - glad to see Ruby is making use of the Expensive Dog Bed. Is she still tired from all the shenanigans at your brothers place?

Clastic - Happy birthday for yesterday

KA - hope you are getting better

Canberreans - how did training go today?

Well, I have been using the front attaching harness (Black Dog one) for walks, and it is certainly easier, but I don't get the same feel for when he is pulling (like you do on a flat collar). I think I will keep going with it though.

We have been to the beach twice this weekend. Yesterday not so good because there were a lot of smaller dogs, and, well, Ziggy is such a big boisterous boofa that I have to put him on lead when small dogs are around (it is an off lead beach). He is also such a social butterfly and just luuuuves playing with other dogs. So yesterday was not so good, but today we went earlier and there were heaps of playful medium to large dogs so he had a great time. I often think he will never come back, but he does (reluctantly). He's also just had a hydrobath on the way home, and I think he's a bit tired so is sleeping in the back yard. I can see I will not be a one-dog household forever.

Thank you for the birthday wishes! :)

Wizzle - Those pics of G are so cute, she really is pleading to come in with that apple core. Bathing wise, we normally give the pups a bath when they start stinking of dog.. their last bath was about 3 weeks ago, but before that I think it was 6 months or so. We also bathe them if their normally white fur looks yellow..

TheFenstar - 8 more days, how exciting!! Hope it goes quickly for you!

lilli_star - Hooray you have Roo home, even though she is stinky-licious from rolling around on the farm. She looks so comfy in her dog bed, so glad she is finally using it especially because it cost a bundle to buy. Hehe, that pic of Jasper in Roo's crate is gorgeous, cats always seem to rule the house over the dogs.

betsy - Training was OK today, Mars was very attentive at the start of the class which was nice. We have to work on our heeling, he's currently walking out too far in front of my feet, which is my fault because I taught him wrong in the first place. :laugh: Lots of training to do and maybe this time we'll actually attempt being assessed instead of me whimping out. :) ooooooh, are you thinking of a doggie friend for Ziggy....?!

Doggies are both sleeping at the moment, Mars had fun running around with other doggies in the off-lead area after class.. he was also very possesive of toys which were not his. :cry: Sorry to others that wanted to play, but Mars was being a hog and also being growly and snappy. :cry:ETA: Although he was very amusing when he had the frisbee in his mouth and was shaking it around trying to get Ava's attention.

Edited by Clastic

Little Miss Whiteface had a good day at training today :laugh: We decided that we're going to hang a 'WILL HEEL 4 FOOD' sign around her neck due to her propensity to glue herself to the left hand side of random people with treats :)

Doggies are both sleeping at the moment, Mars had fun running around with other doggies in the off-lead area after class.. he was also very possesive of toys which were not his. :cry: Sorry to others that wanted to play, but Mars was being a hog and also being growly and snappy. :cry:

:) So funny how he spends half the time going "Ava! Lookie! I have a toy! Look! Toy! Ava!" and the other half of the time going "KEEP AWAY FROM MY TOY OR ELSE."

Edited by wuffles