Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

wizzle: so sorry for being gross – anal glands and anal juice are extremely gross. You are very lucky to not have to deal with them. I used to read the threads on DOL and think they were weird (because Elbie never had any gland issues) but along came Hoover and now I know what people are talking about …

wuffles – we're all thinking about you for tomorrow! Have a great day and we look forward to the photos. I'm sure someone at the wedding will have a little digi camera so that you can get some photos to share pretty quickly!!

Thanks guys :thumbsup: It's all going to plan so far (touch wood), just a few loose ends to tie up. One of my bridesmaids stayed here last night and we are picking up a bunch of people from the airport tonight. Starting to get busy!! Just want it all to happen now.

KTB - that is an awesome photo, just in terrible circumstances. :thumbsup:

I think Aussies are use as SAR in the USA/Canada. Can't see why kelpies wouldn't be used more.

The earthquake is horrific but I do always love the idea of search and rescue dogs because I know that if I was trapped, there would be something incredibly comforting about being found by a doggy ...

How about Aussie Shepherds - would they be good at SAR and sniffing? Hmm, I need to start a proper thread on this

How about Aussie Shepherds - would they be good at SAR and sniffing? Hmm, I need to start a proper thread on this

Are you sure you want to start a thread.. it might become explosive! (Just as every normal, simple question threads become..)

A battle of the breeds to see who has the better dog with sniffing nose :thumbsup:

Are you sure you want to start a thread.. it might become explosive! (Just as every normal, simple question threads become..)

A battle of the breeds to see who has the better dog with sniffing nose :birthday:

:thumbsup: Surely my thread is entirely non-contentious. I don't think anyone could do battle about something like SAR dogs/sniffer dogs!

Border collies apparently make great search and rescue dogs which is why I was curious about why there weren't more Kelpies out there, but border collies are more famous internationally.

Good luck for the weekend Wuffles! I hope you have an amazing day and that it doesn't go too quickly for you.

Lovely photo KTB.

My apologies to everyone, I have been reading at work so by the time I'm finally posting now, I've forgotten everything that's been said :thumbsup:

Thought I'd share a photo of my boy from the weekend at Woofstock

20022011593.jpg

GoldenGirl85's Lexi is behind him :birthday:

You can't really see while he's lying down, but that Malamute is the BIGGEST Mal I have ever seen. It was ginormous!

Why can't cavs be used as SAR dogs? I mean, what could be better than being found by a waggily tailed, lick-a-lot Genevieve dog?

If she found me alive, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be after she licked me in excitement! :thumbsup:

Wuffles, I hope you have a beautiful day! Just surrender to whatever happens and remember to eat! I didn't eat anything all day... and we had awesome food!!!! Are the doglets going to be there????

Edited by Wizzle

Today Astrid has also been giving presents to the cat! The one that likes her, not the other one :thumbsup: It's never toys though! This morning I got a roll of paper towel, a shoe and a remote. The cat got a tshirt from the laundry basket :( as you can imagine, she was thrilled and Astrid got a little bop on the nose for her trouble.

I had a doggie dream last night! I dreamed that Astrid was a Sheltie, but her markings were the same as they are now. I wanted to take her out for a walk but I only had a green garden hose, not a leash so I had to make do with that (as you do!), and as we were walking down the street we met up with OH who was carrying a Great Dane he had just bought at a garage sale down the road :D

I haven't heard anything more from the council, or been contacted by the police so I am assuming everything is ok at the park. Luckily it's not somewhere that I usually take Astrid as a couple of times I have seen broken glass etc in there, but we are being extra vigilant on walks around here anyway. I have been walking her just on dawn or before because it's been so hot here, but the visibility isn't great so it will be shorter walks once it's light so I can see what's on the ground a bit better.

wuffles: Hope you have a great day, and everything goes perfectly! :) I will bug you with many Aussie questions when you get back :)

Great vid of Satch, he looks so comfy and camouflaged!

Max#1: Pizza dough :) I bet he thought all his Christmases had come at once!

KTB: Well at least Hoover takes care of his own anal glands and you don't have to do them! I remember seeing a post about it when I was first on DOL, and having no experience about it (never had a dog or cat with an issue) I looked up how to clean them yourself on youtube. Now I have a pretty strong stomach but after watching it, I would pay a vet whatever they asked to do it if the need ever arises with Astrid. In fact, I possibly would sell my soul so I wouldn't have to do it! lol Eewww!

Naughty Hoover behind the shed! I think he's a bit like a cat, can squeeze in anywhere.

Love the pic of the SAR dog! I love working dogs, I love those 'Send in the Dogs' type shows where they have sniffer dogs etc and when I worked in freight at the International Airport here many years ago one of my fav things was watching the sniffer dogs there from time to time. Also I was lucky enough to meet the first WA Police Dog when he was brand new to the job. I've also had Police Horses standing in my yard on several occasions, eating fruit bread :cry:

That poor doggie does look distressed :) all the dogs in pounds/shelters etc, it's so sad. I came across this guy the other day http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breed_...e.asp?breed=670 breaks my heart. Such a pity he's not cat friendly :(

Minxy: I seriously want to snuggle Kyojin and that Mal! What is Woofstock, though?

Astridnosefeb2011.jpg

This shot was about 2 seconds before she poked the lens with her nose lol.

Raven: That dog is beautiful, hopefully he finds a good home.

I had forgotten it was you who posted about the rat poision. That's very, very scary! :):cry:

Woofstock is like a festival for dogs. I think this was the first year they ran it in Brisbane (They do one in a few other places too). I guess they had to start small to see how it would go, but unfortunately it was SO small that I wouldn't waste my money going back, not for a few years at least.

ETA: Forgot to say what a gorgeous photo of Astrid, I love camera close ups :thumbsup:

Edited by Minxy (Kyojin)

Oh KTB! That's a cracker! That little corgi put sooo much effort into the jump and barely missed the wharf! :thumbsup:

Rav - I was telling OH about Astrid's presents. It's soooo cute! I have a few of those shots too... but then I get slobbery kisses on my camera lens (thank goodness for lens filters!)

Minxy - Kyojin is looking sooo lovely! He and Kuma would have great rumbles :) (was it hot? They all look Exhausted!)

Edited by KumaAkita

Off to do an airport run now but just wanted to let those of you that came to my hens party that Kellie had her baby yesterday, on his due date! They have named him Kye, out of hospital already, mum and bub doing well and planning on coming to the wedding still :thumbsup: