Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Yes I would think it's pretty normal either way - some people love all their animals equally and some have a heartdog or a dog they just don't bond with or one they like slightly more, etc. I'm sure you're already doing this but if I were you I'd be taking both dogs into the yard, crating one at a time and doing some training with the other. Just some focus work and sits and drops with Willow would be fun!

yes thanx wuffles i started that yesterday, just crated raz in the lounge room, and sat on the floor and played with willow, and did some training, lol, she's not real interested in treats :laugh: raz whinged the whole time :hug: thats my fault for not fully crate training him :)

Satch screams if I try do training with Ava and he can see us... KTB can attest to that :hug:

I think for my next dog I'm going to go for one with good play/prey drive... balls, toys, squeakies, tug... seems like fun :)

dandy remember when we were in your yard and Ava found the treat ball (pretty sure it had no treats in it) and all of a sudden it became this valued item that both her and Raz wanted... and they were trying to guard it from each other? :hug: She's generally only interested in toys if a) the toy dispenses treats or b) another dog wants said toy :)

Thanks KumaAkita and KTB! They look like really nice vets. I will have to see if they are one of sydney uni's vet partners that accepts student interns though. Canberra seems like it has lots of off leash areas and is pretty dog friendly. I'm actually thinking of trying to get a job there when i graduate.

Mindy is a really funny looking lab, she looks more like a field-bred lab imo. Which I like, Im not too keen on the current show labs in australia, they are too heavyset for my liking...

post-31284-1301442745_thumb.jpg

post-31284-1301442871_thumb.jpg

Doctor mindy!

post-31284-1301442673_thumb.jpg

Awww! I love Dr Mindy :) I think Roo and Mindy kind of look the same build- Roo is not that much heavier than Mindy, and she still hasn't got a thick "otter tail" (probably never will :cry: ), but Roo's head isn't as long as Mindy's.

It's so cool that Mindy can go to Uni with you. My older sister did Vet Science at Sydney too (she's not a vet anymore though), and I remember when she was at Camden- she didn't have a dog to take with her to uni then though! :D I shudder to think about what would happen if Ruby came to school with me! :D Although, did you read that thread about the school in NZ that changed it's rules so that a teacher's dog could come to school? Interesting.

I'm not ready for another dog yet (not for a looong while yet! :D ), but I would be very tempted to get a rescue Labbie from Labradog Rescue. My friend Simone recently adopted a mama dog from there (who surprised her rescuers with babies not long after coming to Labradog Lodge), and I think she may have adopted another Lab in the last couple of weeks too, judging by the blog! ;)

Edited by lilli_star

dandybrush: I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules - each person is different and each dog is different. I can definitely say that our bond with Elbie is in no way lessened by Hoover's arrival. He's as much attached to us as he ever was. I am Hoover's handler for obedience but I'll be Elbie's handler for agility. At the end of the day, you and your OH are the pack leaders and the two dogs should both be looking to you for guidance.

I'd also think about it from raz's perspective - it's probably going to be nice for raz to have companionship while you're at work.

If you really don't think you're ready for a second puppy, I would return Willow but I think that it's just not possible to expect that you can ensure that the relationship with raz 'never changes'. It's an ongoing, dynamic relationship - anything could cause a change - any variance in yours or your OH's working hours, new neighbours, a friend or relative coming to stay with you, a new child etc etc. The list is endless. It's always tempting to try to 'capture' something that seems perfect forever but that's really only possible with a photograph or video, anything that involves living beings will by necessity evolve and develop ... That's also what can be beautiful. Rather than looking at it is a dimunition in raz's bond with you, why not look for ways to enhance the bond with both of them. It's all right if raz is your favourite, but Willow looks like she also has a lot to offer. :cheer:

ok thank you ktb :p

thank you for saying your bond with elbie has not lessened that was my no. 1 concern ;) i know im a worry wart, OH wont even bother discussing my concerns :cheer: I'll be both dogs handlers as OH doesnt wanna do agility or anything :) so i guess i will bond to both and raz and i will stay bonded with the added bonus of a cute little girl :eek: I'll get there, im just very averse to change, but as you said ktb, when we have kids, and we will, there will be more changes ill have to deal with :eek:

you are right i am trying to capture a "perfect" time with me and raz i will give willow another week and see how we go, ill try to stop doubting for a week and see how i feel at the end... she is cute :o and such a gentle soul (so far :) )

Hi Lovelies.

Sorry I have been slack. I must have broken the world record for most hours slept this week! Genevieve has been good for the most part and has seemingly been happy snuggling with me on the couch. If I get comfy with the hot water bottle and my body pillow first, she jumps in and keeps the other side of me warm!!!

Congratulations to those with new puplets!!! I sleep for three days and look what happens! We multiply!!! Dandybrush - I only have the one dog, but from what I have learnt along the way about parenting, it sounds as though KTB's advice - as a Mum of Two - is pretty good. I guess it would be like having one child then debating having another.... You will always love the first child for who he/she is, but that doesn't mean you can't love another and have an equally special relationship with them.... And the early days with a new baby and a toddler are hard work, but before long everyone is in a rhythm and getting along fine. Willow is a gorgeous name by the way!!!!

All this talk of new puppies... I'm not puppy clucky yet! I think I am for five seconds when I see pictures, but then I remember Genevieve and my post natal dog depression and any cluckiness vanishes! A friend of ours picks up their new cav pup in a week. He is a tri like Genevieve, named Wilson and he is pretty cute!!!! It's the closest I've come, but I think it is because he looks like a mini Genevieve and it reminds me of her!

Aussie - I missed a lot during my 'leave of absence' a while back. Did Mindy not end up becoming a guide dog and have you kept her? Has your Mum come around to her now?

Anyway, I don't really have anything important to report...

Hi Lovelies.

Sorry I have been slack. I must have broken the world record for most hours slept this week! Genevieve has been good for the most part and has seemingly been happy snuggling with me on the couch. If I get comfy with the hot water bottle and my body pillow first, she jumps in and keeps the other side of me warm!!!

Congratulations to those with new puplets!!! I sleep for three days and look what happens! We multiply!!! Dandybrush - I only have the one dog, but from what I have learnt along the way about parenting, it sounds as though KTB's advice - as a Mum of Two - is pretty good. I guess it would be like having one child then debating having another.... You will always love the first child for who he/she is, but that doesn't mean you can't love another and have an equally special relationship with them.... And the early days with a new baby and a toddler are hard work, but before long everyone is in a rhythm and getting along fine. Willow is a gorgeous name by the way!!!!

All this talk of new puppies... I'm not puppy clucky yet! I think I am for five seconds when I see pictures, but then I remember Genevieve and my post natal dog depression and any cluckiness vanishes! A friend of ours picks up their new cav pup in a week. He is a tri like Genevieve, named Wilson and he is pretty cute!!!! It's the closest I've come, but I think it is because he looks like a mini Genevieve and it reminds me of her!

Aussie - I missed a lot during my 'leave of absence' a while back. Did Mindy not end up becoming a guide dog and have you kept her? Has your Mum come around to her now?

Anyway, I don't really have anything important to report...