Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Yay Kyliegirl and Echo! Were you thinking of a Pembroke or a Cardigan corgi?

KTB and KA - wow, that's desperate for dog food!

And I love the pics of Ruby Roo! She's a real character!

a slight brag, Echo has been going amazing on walks now, he no longer pulls and will follow gently when both me and oh walk together with him :laugh: also been thinking my next dog will be a corgi, they seem like a nice breed that would also match our lifestyle. I highly doubt my OH would approve of 2 dogs at once lol!!

I had mostly been looking at pembrokes :eek: they are quite a nice intelligent breed, from what I have read alot easier to train and handle. If I could have two dogs then I would probably wait until Echo is a bit older before considering another puppy lol! my OH would probably die if he read this :(

dandybrush: willow's 'leave it' is so cute. We particularly liked the nose-nudge after the second leave it - so funny.

kyliegirl: Echo is clearly in training for the Canine Olympics! I'm sure he'll bring home gold.

Here are my two. Elbie chilling in his dog bed - with blanket of course

13april_01.jpg

Hoover - falling asleep while resting his head on Elbie's back while they are both standing. I kid you not.

13april_02.jpg

Hoover and Elbie this morning waiting for their lazy humans to get out of bed. Hoover's eyes kept drooping shut, he's such a snoozy dog.

13april_03.jpg

Aww, lovely photos and videos everyone. Willow is sooo cute!

Kylie: I love Echo on the treadmill. Do they make different sized doggy treadmills??

KTB that's so funny that Hoover was falling asleep on Elbie while standing up! :laugh:

Great photos everyone :D

Koala, it's been so cold here the last couple of nights, I've tucked Ruby into a blanket as well, but I don't think she stays tucked in for long :laugh: I think she would much rather sleep on my bed with the electric blanket on since that's where she's taken herself off to nap for the past couple of nights. Makes me feel slightly offended, since she could be in the loungeroom with me in front of the heater instead of up the other end of the house by herself :rofl::shrug:

Oh KTB, lovely photos as always. I adore the two of them staring at you... sooo cute.

It must be getting cold. Kuma put himself to bed early last night. Normally he's chillin' on the floor while we're watching TV and we have to lure him to bed, but last night he got up and lay in his crate. We left him there for a little while longer and he didn't move... funny little bugger.

I was going to suggest lilli_star that you use a hot water bottle for Ruby, but then remembered that she's a chewer and you'd end up with scalded dog and rubber everywhere :shrug::laugh:

KTB your doggies look so happy together!

I am actually thinking of going down the second dog path myself...

Seeing how happy Elbie and Hoover and Akira and Halo seem together has really encouraged me to think about it!

Especially as Mindy LOVES other dogs.

Although my main motivation would be as a friend for Min, rather than as a second dog for myself (although i've always wanted to have multiple dogs!).

I'm just not sure whether it would be too much work for me, and whether to go down the rescue route or breeder. Although i love labs, I think i would prefer something smaller. I find Mindy large enough, and she is at the small end of labs.

And I don't think I could do a puppy again!

Seeing how happy Elbie and Hoover and Akira and Halo seem together has really encouraged me to think about it!

Although my main motivation would be as a friend for Min, rather than as a second dog for myself (although i've always wanted to have multiple dogs!).

I'm just not sure whether it would be too much work for me, and whether to go down the rescue route or breeder. Although i love labs, I think i would prefer something smaller. I find Mindy large enough, and she is at the small end of labs.

Oh... so you don't want an Akita then??? It'd be smaller than Mindy for a little while (like 8-9 months) so you'd have time to get used to the size :laugh:

What are you thinking about getting??

Oh... so you don't want an Akita then??? It'd be smaller than Mindy for a little while (like 8-9 months) so you'd have time to get used to the size :laugh:

My criteria are medium size (preferably less than 20kg) and short coated...so maybe not an akita :)

I'm thinking a rescue or pound lab x at the moment

I'd also be open to a BC or kelpie, i know there are plenty of those in pounds, but they'd have to get on with Mindy and I've heard that herding breeds don't tend to get on well with labs (though Min has quite a few kelpie friends).

I'd love to get a rescue Grey, but I just don't think they'd be able to keep up with us and Mindy, being the friendly thing she is would probably annoy the s*** out of it!

I was going to suggest lilli_star that you use a hot water bottle for Ruby, but then remembered that she's a chewer and you'd end up with scalded dog and rubber everywhere :):)

Yeah...not so much. She chewed the corner off the sheet she has outside the other day. I don't think I'd trust her with a hot water bottle. When she was a baby puppy and I was a complete nervous wreck of an owner, I was going to get one of those petsafe heat pack thingys to put in her kennel outside during the day because the weather was so dreadful, but I never got around to it. I did have a wheat pack I would heat up and put in her crate with her at night, but she started to chew the cover, so it went bye-bye. :laugh:

ETA Photobucket- aren't you done with maintenence by now???? :confused:

Edited by lilli_star

I love the pictures of hoover and albie on the bed, so cute!

the treadmill is actually our human treadmill which we bought for us years ago :laugh:

I would like everyone's opinion on this - I am concerned about how much energy Echo has, it seems everyday his energy levels get higher, I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to meet his requirements, he has some really high drives, he absolutely loves to tug and he is nonstop moving and running around, he is destroying anything he can and is digging holes everywhere, I play/walk him daily and the walks are over 5km atm with running here and there, then the treadmill, I am actually quite a laid back person so I do worry about not being able to give echo what he needs, I would hate to see him go insane because we cannot meet his energy requirements. I try to mentally challenge him daily but even then he still keeps going. Some days I wonder if I got the wrong breed <_< the Dobermann has always been my dream dog and I was pretty sure I could handle the temperament of one, but I did not expect Echo to have the energy and drives that he has, If I let him off-lead he would be running nonstop (I know because he does this at the dog park). I do question myself daily if I made the right choice, I am fine with all the work etc and try my best to do my best for Echo, I just dont know if it will be enough? What do you all think? what more can i do to bring down the energy? I am not keen on doing any dog sports for the moment, nor have the time to with work and art etc. I do not really want to attend obedience etc atm either, its just not what I plan to get into atm, I planned to later in life but for the moment its clear its not something I am up for doing.

Edited by kyliegirl

the treadmill is actually our human treadmill which we bought for us years ago :laugh:

I would like everyone's opinion on this - I am concerned about how much energy Echo has, it seems everyday his energy levels get higher, I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to meet his requirements, he has some really high drives, he absolutely loves to tug and he is nonstop moving and running around, he is destroying anything he can and is digging holes everywhere, I play/walk him daily and the walks are over 5km atm with running here and there, then the treadmill, I am actually quite a laid back person so I do worry about not being able to give echo what he needs, I would hate to see him go insane because we cannot meet his energy requirements. I try to mentally challenge him daily but even then he still keeps going. Some days I wonder if I got the wrong breed <_< the Dobermann has always been my dream dog and I was pretty sure I could handle the temperament of one, but I did not expect Echo to have the energy and drives that he has, If I let him off-lead he would be running nonstop (I know because he does this at the dog park). I do question myself daily if I made the right choice, I am fine with all the work etc and try my best to do my best for Echo, I just dont know if it will be enough? What do you all think? what more can i do to bring down the energy? I am not keen on doing any dog sports for the moment, nor have the time to with work and art etc. I do not really want to attend obedience etc atm either, its just not what I plan to get into atm, I planned to later in life but for the moment its clear its not something I am up for doing.

I think he will calm down but he may be a particularly high drive dog.

Most of the dobes I know are actually pretty relaxed and really well behaved.

Perhaps you should try to teach him to be calm for increasing longer periods? Like making use of his crate at home or even tethering him (within your sight) if he is used to it?

How old is he? from memory he is only 4 months or something?

My labrador was absolutely psycho at that age. In fact from 8 weeks until about 4 months she was quite mad. I know everyone says not to over exercise a large breed puppy but she would seriously run around all day if you let her. We were also doing 5km walks and she would still want to go for a run or play tugs after or play with other dogs.

Even her puppy school trainer thought she might not be a good guide dog and thought she was really full on.

She is now really good and actually quite calm and although she is always up for some exercise or training, she is able to lie quietly when needed.

Perhaps you could get Echo assessed by a trainer or something to give you some tips?

Also, if you keep increasing his exercise, he will become more fit and require even more exercise (which is the trouble we have now- a superfit dog who needs 4 walks a day!).

If you don't want to do obedience training, perhaps you could do 15 mins to half an hour of trick training with him? I also like to use one of my walks with mindy to do training- I make her walk as if she was still in GD training.

It sounds like he would be a great dog sport dog if you're interested in any of that?

he is nearing 6 month mark now, I know he is going throught he crazy adolescent stage, I just hope as he matures (LOL??) he will be a little calmer :laugh: We are trying to work on calming him, but its a little hard when the loopy bugger goes "ZOMG ITS PLAY TIME!!! ITS PLAY TIME!!!!" lol. I cant blame him though, hes a baby :) We do currently see a trainer who has been great so far, may get some tips from him on other methods to exert his energy.

I will have to remember not to over exercise then to prevent the 4 walks a day thing lol. I doubt we could ever manage that.

I originally thought of attending agility etc, but honestly I don't think I have the time nor will to do such sports as its not really things I could get into. I am happy with a family home dog who is trained to an extent with some trick training here and there.

Edited by kyliegirl

the treadmill is actually our human treadmill which we bought for us years ago :o

Kyliegirl, while I can't speak for Dobes in general, I can tell you about mine. Astrid could run all day (if I let her) and still not be tired. At this point I can't actually fathom the amount of exercise it would take to wear her out, to be honest I don't think I could wear her out physically. We play lots of games during the day, training etc as for her I feel that it's the mental stimulation that fulfills her, rather than trying to wear her out physically. I do walk her as much as I feel is safe for her growing body every day, and play/run etc at our local oval but really, it's not even a drop in the bucket as far as her energy levels go.

With the amount of attention/work she requires she really is a full time job for me, but that's exactly what I was after, and what I expected. She is definitely challenging, and sometimes completely exhausting. It certainly hasn't been problem free though, that's for sure. She does dig holes, though I don't discourage that, but she isn't at all destructive and her manners at home are impeccable (her manners outside are another thing! but we are working on that :)). But I have no doubt left to her own devices she probably would be a destructo dog. Even as I sit here at the computer she is jogging laps of the house!

So in my experience I don't think Echo is abnormal, as to whether they will calm down and be more relaxed/less energetic? Well perhaps we can both keep our fingers crossed for luck! :)

Oh... so you don't want an Akita then??? It'd be smaller than Mindy for a little while (like 8-9 months) so you'd have time to get used to the size :)

My criteria are medium size (preferably less than 20kg) and short coated...so maybe not an akita :o

I'm thinking a rescue or pound lab x at the moment

I'd also be open to a BC or kelpie, i know there are plenty of those in pounds, but they'd have to get on with Mindy and I've heard that herding breeds don't tend to get on well with labs (though Min has quite a few kelpie friends).

I'd love to get a rescue Grey, but I just don't think they'd be able to keep up with us and Mindy, being the friendly thing she is would probably annoy the s*** out of it!

Aussielover - I'm on the same page as you! Thinking same sort of dog and everything!