National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

As for flying, You can't fly an adult Dane in Australia even if i wanted to.

What about the Tassie Dane people? Do they have to deal with showing flat dogs because they have spent 12 hours on a boat then a long car ride to the showgrounds?

My mum has a Great Dane, she has had them for 20 years... they would have loved to have gone to the royals on the mainland or a specialty show but the logistics of it just proved impossible.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And everyone keeps bringing up WA and Darwin... they would fall outside the km radius wouldn't they?

WA and Darwin would be out or the 1000 radius is the show was held in Vic.

With that said if the show was held in NSW/SA/QLD/NT/WA - Tas would not be effected.

If showing is a huge passion in your life and you are limited by the geographical location of where you live well do something about it. If you cannot then you have to accept the limitations that puts on you in regards to dog showing and get on with it. IMO there are more things to life than worrying about missing out on a weekend of challenge points. But that is just my take on life and dog showing.

What about the Tassie Dane people? Do they have to deal with showing flat dogs because they have spent 12 hours on a boat then a long car ride to the showgrounds?

My mum has a Great Dane, she has had them for 20 years... they would have loved to have gone to the royals on the mainland or a specialty show but the logistics of it just proved impossible.

I have taken my Danes to Tassie to show, you don't show the day you arrive on the boat as the time you arrive does not

allow you enough time to get to the grounds, same for Melb.

Cheers Sway.

Unfortunately NSW does fall inside the radius, happened a few weeks ago with a Dally specialty being held in Sydney.

None of this has happened to me, I have just seen a few people get a bit upset when finding out the day of the show they couldn't get points.

I can see this is just going to keep going around in circles. Obviously some of us have one opinion and others have an opposing one, nothing will change that. I'm not going to go writing letters to the TCA, it doesn't bother me that much, but in my opinion it would be nice if the rules were changed back to State lines.

Cheers Sway.

Unfortunately NSW does fall inside the radius, happened a few weeks ago with a Dally specialty being held in Sydney.

None of this has happened to me, I have just seen a few people get a bit upset when finding out the day of the show they couldn't get points.

Hobart to Sydney is around 1,060km via flightpath, Devonport is 915km via flightpath to Sydney.

I also think it should be based on road kms, not as the crow flies.

I agree with finding out on the day, that is wrong!

It should be advertised, and if the club makes a mistake entries need to be refunded on the spot.

Cheers Sway.

Hobart to Sydney is around 1,060km via flightpath, Devonport is 915km via flightpath to Sydney.

I also think it should be based on road kms, not as the crow flies.

I agree with finding out on the day, that is wrong!

It should be advertised, and if the club makes a mistake entries need to be refunded on the spot.

In both cases it has been the Canine Control that is at fault.

Just skimmed through the April - May Gazette.

There are 2 shows in there. Yep once you take out breed shows and all the obedience and agility there are only 2 champ shows.

and who's fault is that ? you can't blame the rest of the country because you don't have enough shows ......

anyway ... back to the original topic re National shows ..... this one in particular was for GSD's .... doesn't Tassie have a GSD Club?

Are they part of the National Breed Council? and its the National Breed Council that determines that show & date ....

and if it was a "National" ban on CC's there would be NO confusion ..... and of course EVERYONE would know when their National is on

so they wouldn't turn up at a show expecting to be able to win CC's

There are 2 shows in there. Yep once you take out breed shows and all the obedience and agility there are only 2 champ shows.

and who's fault is that ? you can't blame the rest of the country because you don't have enough shows ......

anyway ... back to the original topic re National shows ..... this one in particular was for GSD's .... doesn't Tassie have a GSD Club?

Are they part of the National Breed Council? and its the National Breed Council that determines that show & date ....

WOW, no need to be hostile, was just a comment.

Yes Tasmania does have a GSD club which is an affliate of National Council. Dates of Nationals are set sometimes 3 years in advance and like people have said it is one weekend for the year.

Next years National is Easter weekend 22nd through to the 24th April 2011 Erskine Park - NSW. We have started planning our trip :thumbsup: But this probably won't affect any Tassie shows as there isn't usually a show held over the Easter break.

Edited by gsdzrul

WOW, no need to be hostile, was just a comment.

sorry "Shaar", didn't mean to come across as hostile ... I suppose the question I have is "why are there not more shows in Tassie"?

but thats probably another topic...VBG

I have taken my Danes to Tassie to show, you don't show the day you arrive on the boat as the time you arrive does not

allow you enough time to get to the grounds, same for Melb.

Actually, it can be done, I know ppl who have literally gone from the ferry to a show :thumbsup:

Also, with regard to flying, it also has an additional cost of car hire and how do you transport dogs in a hire car?? I wouldn't think that would be allowed?? Not everyone has friends who are able to act as driver for the period either due to their own location or lack of room in their car or trailer.

Yeah, if you need your car go via the ferry but what if you do not havean approved trailer or trailer at all???

Dsspite the huge distances and amount of time it takes, the fact is that everyone else in Australia DOES have the option of getting in a vehicle and travelling at their discretion.

As for the Victorian tolls, please, they are easy to avoid if you leave a little earlier, they sure are convenient but no one is forced to use them, it's a choice. We use the tolls because we prefer that extra 20 minute sleep in but we have avoided them on occasion to due to not having the e-tag topped up,, in the early days we avoided them on princple, tunnel closure etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder who your mum is :eek: fancy meeting you here! How is the Crestie going?

:eek: I am against any radius being implemented what so ever.

I believe it's my right of choice should I wish to not to attend what ever breed/breeds I have at the time National.

As it is yours and any other persons in this country.

I am most happy to stay home should I wish to.

But what annoys me and many others why does a show somewhere else have to miss out on entries because there is a National on in the state.

Now lets go back to the original post.

How many dogs were entered ? Now, would those owners given that club those entries had they know that challenges were not on offer ?. Clubs can not afford to lose entry money.

Now as to getting off the Apple Isle.

No one has said you can't get off, but it can be more difficult arranging times and dates. Let's face it you can only leave when the plane and boat does.

It also appears that flight times are no where near as frequent as some mainland ones.

All costs are x 2 as you have to come back. I was told it would cost me nearly $1000 to get my car and trailer to Melb. with over night sleeping for me.

All these costs are prepaid and if you could not go, I do not know what refunds would be made available, if any.

If you live on the mainland and don't go to the show you have entered for, all you lose is the entry fees. All of us here stand to lose a great deal more.

Yes, you mainland people have have a distinct advantage, you hop in the car and go where ever you like :mad should the moment arise. You don't know the luxury of it till you have lived here and then lived on the Mainland.

I could get in the car and go to whatever shows I wanted any where in the country when ever I wanted to. When you live here you just can't do it that easy or that often, because of the cost factor.

This state should be exempt from the 1000 km rule. NT and WA are basically exempt from this rule because of their distances from other states.

sorry "Shaar", didn't mean to come across as hostile ... I suppose the question I have is "why are there not more shows in Tassie"?

but thats probably another topic...VBG

All good, I was tired and grumpy when I wrote that. Sorry.

I wish there were more shows here, I always see *shelties and danes* wins on Facebook and get jealous LOL

Hi Shelly!!!! Yes I wonder who my mum is hehe

Edited by Shaar

This rule has been in for years .
Surely Tasmania should be exempt due to the fact of the cost to travel across Bass Strait. I think if Tasmania held a National here mainlanders would be wanting subsidised travel or not come.

Nope not at all,

I travel yearly from Perth with big dogs ,i would love the option of hoping on the ferry & being able to take the car & float but instead i fly,hire cars & the likes.just to fly my 2 dogs is nearly $800 plus car,accom & the list goes on

If you cant afford it its unfortunate but many people do head to these shows from many states which have it harder .

I now of plenty of national shows held in Tassie that where very well supported by interstaters who didnt think twice same as the royal shows.

Also now of many Tassie people who head over for royals & the melb cup carnival & the likes without a second thought.

Yes i would be pissed at the no CC points not being printed but if you won grp or BIS that was still available.

It is very common in the east & the entries arent cheaper .You are still entitled to all the other awards except cc/bob points

No GSD National is ever held in Tasmania and under thye given rules of the GSDCA it's not on the agenda!

The whole matter come down to choice, you choose to travel from WA because you can and you have a number of options, drive, plane, train

Trvell9ing with dogs on planes out of Tassie is almost prohibitive such are the rules of airlines these days

For many the choice comes down to cost and the ability to go plus the desire to go. For some the National is simply a no go because it does not interest them but they have enough interest to go to a local show but under the rules they are simply wasting their time.

Quite simply it's a stupid rule that should be rescinded as it is a restriction on peoples freedom of choice

A stupid rule placed by those who it seems would attempt to "coerce" people to go to Nationals, if the Nationals were truly National then perhaps people would consider going

The same thing happens with other breeds and their Nationals, however it seems that only the GSD community in Tassie that dont show specialty have an issue with it.

it is ONE weekend a year