Dog Recommendations?

Hey guys, well my boss keeps telling me he wants a labradoodle as they have a labrador now who is quite old and they want to get another dog in the near future similar to a labrador but good for allergies.

Any recommendations? I have done a search but most dogs that come up are small and I dont know what they are like in terms of exercise and child friendliness etc. They would like a larger dog and have two 8-10 year old kids. I would assume something with the same exercise requirements as a labrador.

I just need some names to throw at him as I dont think he's up for doing too much research into it.

Edited by GotAnyBlacker

I suggested poodle but he didnt want one of those.

I think he thinks they're not manly enough. I think they look spectacular.

But Labradoodles are MUCH woosier looking!!! :cool:

Standard poodles in a same length all over clip (sorry dont know what thats called) are hardly girly. :thumbsup:

I'm with you- spectacular. :rofl:

Has he ever seen a standard poodle? He might change his mind if he did.

No guarantee with a labradoodle that you'll get one that is good for allergies.

What about a Bedlington Terrier?

Although they're probably not manly enough either.

Portuguese water dog? Obama has one.

And try get him to this.

http://dogtime.com/matchup/start

you can put [email protected] if you just want your results displayed immediately and don't want their emails.

It tells you why it recommends certain breeds and why it doesn't.

Irish Water Spaniels are known to be a good dog for people with allergies. :thumbsup:Probably Curly Coated Retrievers too but it would probably be best if the allergic person met one. Just checked Curlies aren't.

Edited by valleyCBR

Hey guys, well my boss keeps telling me he wants a labradoodle as they have a labrador now who is quite old and they want to get another dog in the near future similar to a labrador but good for allergies.

Any recommendations? I have done a search but most dogs that come up are small and I dont know what they are like in terms of exercise and child friendliness etc. They would like a larger dog and have two 8-10 year old kids. I would assume something with the same exercise requirements as a labrador.

I just need some names to throw at him as I dont think he's up for doing too much research into it.

Is he up for the professional grooming and coat care that most non-shedding dogs require? If he's not doing any research, he's going to miss a lot of important facts about many breeds of dog.

He's clearly missed the fact that most Lab/poodle crosses shed.

He's obviously never met a Standard Poodle in a sporting clip. Nothing "girly" about them.

Wheatens are low allergy - but they certainly aren't the dog for everyone. High grooming requirements, intellegent and independent. Definate terriers. They are awesome dogs and I wouldn't be without my two, but certainly not the breed for everyone.

My OH always though poodles were 'poofy' until he met a standard without the typical haircut. Now he thinks they are rather impressive.

That website gives weird matches - I got all these guard dogs like the Black Russian Terrier and Anatolian Shepherd dog.

ETA the wheaten profile is actually really good on the match website http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/soft-coated-...errier/overview

Edited by Mollie10

Ask him about hte type of dog that he wants. How much exercise will it get? How much time with the family?

There are many allergy friendly dogs around (if the allergy is to hair and not to dander etc). They do have very different temperaments though and might not suite everyone.

From the VicDogs website- http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Content.asp?ID=171

Are there non-allergenic purebred dogs?

There’s no such thing as a non-allergenic dog. Low-shedding dogs often don’t aggravate allergies because the dog is less likely to leave hair, dander or saliva around the house. An individual can be allergic to any or all of these things. Puppies that are a cross of two or more breeds may or may not grow into a low-shedding adult dog. There is no guarantee because they do not “breed true” like a purebred. A litter of crossbred puppies may have some that shed and some that don’t whereas a litter of a recognised breed will have the same, predictable coat.

The following list is a good starting point when researching suitable breeds for an allergy-sufferer. However, as each person’s allergies can differ greatly, it is advised that you spend time with a breed prior to purchase to find out if you are able to tolerate that particular breed of dog.

Some breeds with low-shedding coats:

• Standard Poodle
  • Miniature Poodle
  • Toy Poodle
  • Yorkshire Terrier
  • Portuguese Water Dog
  • Australian Silky Terrier
  • West Highland White Terrier
  • Chinese Crested Dog
  • Cairn Terrier
  • Dandie Dinmont Terrier
  • Irish Water Spaniel
  • Bedlington Terrier
  • Schnauzer
  • Giant Schnauzer
  • Miniature Schnauzer
  • Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
  • Kerry Blue Terrier
  • Airedale Terrier
  • Lagotto
  • Bichon Frise
  • Afghan Hound

Although low-shedding, many of these breeds require regular brushing to prevent knots and some with continuously growing coats need to be clipped several times a year.

(the comment about regular brushing may be a bit of an understatement for the Afghan though - my understanding is that their beautiful coats do require quite a bit of grooming to keep them knot free!)

STANDARD SCHNAUZER ?

Wouldn't the temperament be different from a lab? Any lab I have met loves everyone. All schnauzers that I have met are very owner focused and don't love everyone.

Edited by megan_

I wouldn't recommend a terrier to someone looking for a lab temperament.

Non-shedding is overrated as a need given the grooming requirements of the non-shedder. A good brush out of a lab's coat is going to far less work.