Crate Question

W Sibs

Both Charlie and Emmy have their own crates. Problem is... Emmy loves Charlie's crate as much as Charlie loves his crate! Just like, Charlie and Emmy have their own bed that's in the living room... Emmy loves Charlie's bed as much as Charlie loves his bed. I often find them either in the crate snoozing together or in Charlie's bed snoozing together (it's very very cute!)

Charlie kinda crate trained himself and is sorta crate training Emmy (she copies him!). Emmy will only go in her crate to get the treat or toy in her crate, to take it back to Charlie's crate to eat or play with... doesn't matter if Charlie is in there or not.

Any advice on how to get Emmy to stay in her own crate. I know there is a simple solution to this, but right now, I can't see it!

Both Charlie and Emmy have their own crates. Problem is... Emmy loves Charlie's crate as much as Charlie loves his crate! Just like, Charlie and Emmy have their own bed that's in the living room... Emmy loves Charlie's bed as much as Charlie loves his bed. I often find them either in the crate snoozing together or in Charlie's bed snoozing together (it's very very cute!)

Charlie kinda crate trained himself and is sorta crate training Emmy (she copies him!). Emmy will only go in her crate to get the treat or toy in her crate, to take it back to Charlie's crate to eat or play with... doesn't matter if Charlie is in there or not.

Any advice on how to get Emmy to stay in her own crate. I know there is a simple solution to this, but right now, I can't see it!

They have the solution,they are happy no problems.They want to be together in Charlies" crate,so now you have a spare crate.

When my lot are happy I'm happy. :rainbowbridge:

I do hear you but does this really matter.

I think that Emmy needs to learn to be seperated from Charlie and ensuring that she use her own crate is one of the first steps. You don't want to get into a situation where Emmy won't use her own crate if Charlie needed to be seperated and in his own crate for example (due to his health issues maybe?).

You need to make her crate as enjoyable as possible. One thing I would say is don't put the treat in the crate first to lure her in there but give her the treat as reward for going in the the crate afterwards.

I would frequently put her in her crate with kongs stuffed with mince, chicken, peanut butter (anything that is high value to her) or chicken necks/wings etc so that she learns that all good things happen when she is in 'her' crate.

Susan Garretts DVD Crate Games could help you also.

I think that Emmy needs to learn to be seperated from Charlie and ensuring that she use her own crate is one of the first steps. You don't want to get into a situation where Emmy won't use her own crate if Charlie needed to be seperated and in his own crate for example (due to his health issues maybe?).

You need to make her crate as enjoyable as possible. One thing I would say is don't put the treat in the crate first to lure her in there but give her the treat as reward for going in the the crate afterwards.

I would frequently put her in her crate with kongs stuffed with mince, chicken, peanut butter (anything that is high value to her) or chicken necks/wings etc so that she learns that all good things happen when she is in 'her' crate.

Agree with this.

Agree with this.

I agree with this too. It's not like she is scared of her crate or anything.. she sometimes goes in there and just sits in there and looks out (because Charlie does this and she copies)... but if wants to snooze, she will get out and goes into Charlie's. And, this could lead to bitey face that could lead to rough play, which leads me to get her out of the crate, which leads to her throwing a tantrum, which leads to Charlie barking... and it's just one very noisy mess.

I will look into Susan Garretts DVD.

:o

I don't know what the nature of your puppy is, but mine is very clingy and although she is strongly disliked by her 'older brother' she is still quite attached to him and doesn't appreciate it when he is elsewhere, I'm working on it! I think it's better to start separating them sooner rather than later.

I wish my dogs would spoon like yours do :) :)

swap the bedding so Emmy has charlies bedding in her crate so she gets used to sleeping in her own crate

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

swap the bedding so Emmy has charlies bedding in her crate so she gets used to sleeping in her own crate

That's the first thing we tried... she will go back to Charlie's crate.

We even put his living room bed into her crate too... she wasn't buying it.

What about if you close the door to Charlie's crate so that she has no option but to sleep in the other one?

She will sit in front of Charlie's crate and bark. We ignore. Charlie is trying to open his crate door. She ends up falling asleep next to his crate. We have put the crate side by side to each other. Sometimes that work.

Right now, our solution is to let her sleep in Charlie's living room bed and put Charlie's crate next to it. She seems happy with that, but what's the point of crate training her then?

It's just hit me that I've got to be more firmer on Emmy about this!

I just want her crate trained so it won't be a problem when I take her away on camping and I know there are times where I need her in her crate because my friends kids come over and they are going through their terrible 2 and 3 stage right now. I don't want them to go near her when they are brats.

Usually at night they sleep on my bed with me (and sometimes the boyfriend).. so that's not problem.

Edited by charleswentworth

i love a puzzle..ok so what is different between Charlie's crate and Emmy's crate?

ets i agree that you need to be firmer with Emmy too

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Shut her into the crate.. give her lots of yummy stuff and make her realise it is HER space.. cos she's shut in she then can't go to charlies and will soon learn it is HER space. You need to be firmer with her now or she'll walk all over you later. Yes it's cute now but it won't be when you are dealing with seperation anxiety or a very upset dog if Charlie's illness happens to take him early. Be tough and be consistent about where she sleeps. IMHO if you're going to crate train her, that's where she should be at nights too.. it would confuse the heck out of my pup if i made him sleep in the crate during the day but on the human bed at night!

i love a puzzle..ok so what is different between Charlie's crate and Emmy's crate?

ets i agree that you need to be firmer with Emmy too

Nothing. I bought Emmy's crate the same place I bought Charlie's.

Physically, the only difference is the boyfriend's cut the bottom of the crate for Charlie so he doesn't have to step over to get in, he just simply walks in.

Charlie has a cardboard on the bottom of his crate underneath is blanket. Emmy's crate has foam instead of cardboard. But she has the same blanket (but her's is pink and Charlie's has a green one). You think it can be that?

In honesty, Emmy's crate looks more inviting than Charlie's.

What does she do if you shut her in her own crate so she has no other choice other than to be in there?

Screams her head off. Which we ignore... but then Charlie will start barking crazy, get out of his crate and race around her crate. I've taken Charlie outside when this happens and he will rush into where she is.

Shut her into the crate.. give her lots of yummy stuff and make her realise it is HER space.. cos she's shut in she then can't go to charlies and will soon learn it is HER space. You need to be firmer with her now or she'll walk all over you later. Yes it's cute now but it won't be when you are dealing with seperation anxiety or a very upset dog if Charlie's illness happens to take him early. Be tough and be consistent about where she sleeps. IMHO if you're going to crate train her, that's where she should be at nights too.. it would confuse the heck out of my pup if i made him sleep in the crate during the day but on the human bed at night!

That's true.

I have 3 crates for 3 dogs and they all prefer Moss's crate - its the position its in. If one dissappears during the day you usually find them asleep in that crate. As Moss is the only one who sleeps in a crate at night (his choice as he's rarely locked in) I just leave the crates as they are.

Try swapping Emmy and Cahrlies crate positions and see what happens.

What about putting the crates side by side and locking them both in. Reward good silent behaviour and ignore the noise? Then once she is content in her own crate next to Charlie then try moving them apart slowly? Then only a bit of wire is separating them.

Just a suggestion. I have only just bought my first crate for shows and have never done crate training with my dogs.

I have 3 crates for 3 dogs and they all prefer Moss's crate - its the position its in. If one dissappears during the day you usually find them asleep in that crate. As Moss is the only one who sleeps in a crate at night (his choice as he's rarely locked in) I just leave the crates as they are.

Try swapping Emmy and Cahrlies crate positions and see what happens.

this was going to be my next suggestion and i think its a good one!!

there doesnt seem to be any other differences.

i think you do need to sort it out now to make sure there is no seperation anxiety and that Emmy knows she isnt the boss of everyone.

I was going to say swap their positions as well. I also think that Emmy particularly needs to sleep in her crate at night for a while so that she learns that her crate is her space. Once she's got it worked out then let her out to sleep on the bed.

Putting them both in their respective crates at the same time with a big juicy bone could help the situation as well :)

I also wish my two would spoon like yours - poor Chip would die of a heart attack if Kiesha so much as stretched her paw towards him :o although he does love her really :)