Slight Vent. Poor Dogue

Monah

Monah, just wanted to offer some support in the sense that it is always stressing to see a dog in very poor condition. I hope the circumstances were beyond the owner's control, and the Dogue is on the way to good health now.

Agree with some of the other comments about jumping to conclusions, but that doesn't change the fact that you worry and hope she's alright.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I was waiting for mum at the vets and there was a dear little dogue bitch there, 5 months old. I just had to give her a cuddle (after asking) and very carefully asked her owner about her. She was hunched and depressed (dog not owner) and very quiet and OMG!! all skin and bone so that her head looked awful :o:):)

On interrogating the owner (very nicely!) I discovered the dog had been ill for weeks and she had taken her to the vet to check it wasnt parvo (wasnt), got antibiotics and told to return if they did not work or when finished. By now the dog is extremely malnourished, dehydrated and ill and I will ring to check on her later as I"m freaking out (and no, I know its none of my business but I need to know).

I really fell for this lovely little girl and we had several wonderful minutes together.

I dont get it, the owner seemed nice and said she was worried, but allowed the runs and vomitting to go on for several weeks and only took her in because she is now not eating at all :D Why why why. Is that normal? Mine are there in a flash, no messing about. I can't tell you all how thin and 'sad' this puppy was, can't they see?

I'm just so upset, and angry! :hug::eek::eek:

If the vet suspected parvo he/she should have carried out a parvo test! To assume something as serious as parvo and only give antibiotics to the owner and tell her to take the dog bag if the antibiotics don't work sounds very unprofessional. A dog with suspected parvo should be on the drip, first and foremost. This is just pathetic really! I would expect better from a vet and the owner obviously doesn't understand the seriousness of parvo to simply toddle off with antibiotics in tow! Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not allow their dog to go on vomitting and diarrhea for weeks; downright bloody idiotic!!! :p

Edited by Abigail

This morning I was waiting for mum at the vets and there was a dear little dogue bitch there, 5 months old. I just had to give her a cuddle (after asking) and very carefully asked her owner about her. She was hunched and depressed (dog not owner) and very quiet and OMG!! all skin and bone so that her head looked awful :o:):)

On interrogating the owner (very nicely!) I discovered the dog had been ill for weeks and she had taken her to the vet to check it wasnt parvo (wasnt), got antibiotics and told to return if they did not work or when finished. By now the dog is extremely malnourished, dehydrated and ill and I will ring to check on her later as I"m freaking out (and no, I know its none of my business but I need to know).

I really fell for this lovely little girl and we had several wonderful minutes together.

I dont get it, the owner seemed nice and said she was worried, but allowed the runs and vomitting to go on for several weeks and only took her in because she is now not eating at all :D Why why why. Is that normal? Mine are there in a flash, no messing about. I can't tell you all how thin and 'sad' this puppy was, can't they see?

I'm just so upset, and angry! :hug::eek::eek:

If the vet suspected parvo he/she should have carried out a parvo test! To assume something as serious as parvo and only give antibiotics to the owner and tell her to take the dog bag if the antibiotics didn't work. A dog with suspected parvo should be on the drip, first and foremost. This is just pathetic really! I would expect better from a vet and the owner obviously doesn't understand the seriousness of parvo to simply toddle off with antibiotics in tow! Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not allow their dog to go on vomitting and diarrhea for weeks; downright bloody idiotic!!! :p

Did you not read the post properly? It wasnt parvo.

Large breed pups also drop weight like nothing else when they are crook. (so do smaller breeds, but it's often more noticeable in a larger dog).

They can look woeful in a few days... Monah has no idea what is wrong with the dog and the owners are getting help and investigating.. what any responsible and loving owner would do.

Cordelia, did you not read the part in which the dog has been allowed to go on with the vomiting and the diarrhea for weeks? Yes dogs can lose condition quite rapidly but this is clearly not such a case.

Edited by Abigail

some people really trust their vets and some even go against their better instincts and do exactly what the vet says.

they do this because they love their pets and dont want them to get worse. how do we know that this isnt what happened here?

This morning I was waiting for mum at the vets and there was a dear little dogue bitch there, 5 months old. I just had to give her a cuddle (after asking) and very carefully asked her owner about her. She was hunched and depressed (dog not owner) and very quiet and OMG!! all skin and bone so that her head looked awful :):) :D

I dont get it, the owner seemed nice and said she was worried, but allowed the runs and vomitting to go on for several weeks and only took her in because she is now not eating at all :hug: Why why why. Is that normal? Mine are there in a flash, no messing about. I can't tell you all how thin and 'sad' this puppy was, can't they see?

I'm just so upset, and angry! :eek::eek: :p

If the vet suspected parvo he/she should have carried out a parvo test! To assume something as serious as parvo and only give antibiotics to the owner and tell her to take the dog bag if the antibiotics didn't work. A dog with suspected parvo should be on the drip, first and foremost. This is just pathetic really! I would expect better from a vet and the owner obviously doesn't understand the seriousness of parvo to simply toddle off with antibiotics in tow! Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not allow their dog to go on vomitting and diarrhea for weeks; downright bloody idiotic!!! :mad

Did you not read the post properly? It wasnt parvo.

:o No, I guess not.

Abigail, read the OP again.. Parvo was ruled out at the first consult.

Yes, sorry Cordelia. Didn't absorb the bit about parvo having been ruled out. I must admit that I am still mystified as to why the dog was still having diarrhea and vomiting after several weeks? Shows the likelihood that perhaps the owner did try to stretch things out hoping that the problem would resolve itself.

Whilst I applaud your interest and concern for this dog, it's very difficult to judge the owner without knowing all of the facts and there seems to be a lot missing. The other posters who have mentioned that conditions can come on very quickly are right and the decision to go to the vet is just as subjective as people going to the doctor - some go immediately there may be a hint of something wrong and others can be seriously ill but still refuse to go.......

I think it's good that the owner has taken the dog to the vet and that should be something that we want to see and praise - not become angry/upset about. After all, a lot of people don't bother at all.

If you asked the owner if you could check back with them to see how their dog was and they agreed I don't see any problem with it but I don't believe the vets should be giving out information about animals to people they don't belong to - I know your heart's in the right place on this, but would you want to your vet giving out information about your dog to anyone who wanted to know?

some people really trust their vets and some even go against their better instincts and do exactly what the vet says.

they do this because they love their pets and dont want them to get worse. how do we know that this isnt what happened here?

Well, I hardly think that any vet would advise that a dog be kept with ongoing diarrhea and vomiting without being seen to again if the antibiotics fail to work.

Whilst I applaud your interest and concern for this dog, it's very difficult to judge the owner without knowing all of the facts and there seems to be a lot missing. The other posters who have mentioned that conditions can come on very quickly are right and the decision to go to the vet is just as subjective as people going to the doctor - some go immediately there may be a hint of something wrong and others can be seriously ill but still refuse to go.......

I think it's good that the owner has taken the dog to the vet and that should be something that we want to see and praise - not become angry/upset about. After all, a lot of people don't bother at all.

If you asked the owner if you could check back with them to see how their dog was and they agreed I don't see any problem with it but I don't believe the vets should be giving out information about animals to people they don't belong to - I know your heart's in the right place on this, but would you want to your vet giving out information about your dog to anyone who wanted to know?

Conztruct, the owner of the dog apparently said that the dog had diarrhea and vomiting for several weeks which goes to say that perhaps they have not been as diligent as they should have been.

I must admit that I am still mystified as to why the dog was still having diarrhea and vomiting after several weeks? Shows the likelihood that perhaps the owner did try to stretch things out hoping that the problem would resolve itself.

Why are you mystified about a dog that isn't yours and a whole medical history hasn't been supplied because the OP doesn't even know the history! Sheesh!

Neither you, nor anyone else has any idea how long it was between consults.. the original one where antibiotics were given could have only been a week prior (given 5 days for AB's to be effective or realise they weren't.... pretty standard really.

Now you are freaking out Abigail.. and it's just a dramatic, over reaction without having anywhere near enough information about the actual situation to reach a valid conclusion.

Conztruct, the owner of the dog apparently said that the dog had diarrhea and vomiting for several weeks which goes to say that perhaps they have not been as diligent as they should have been.

Oh Noes!! Let's all track this dreadful owner down and flog them to death :o After all third and fourth hand info is surely enough to condemn someone to death isn't it? :)

No.. that's an assumption on yours and the OP's part.. it was made clear that the owners had been to the vet previously.. noone knows if it was once or several times while they have been trying to diagnose the problem.

Speculation has these owners neglecting their puppy.. but being at the vet at least twice that we have been told about shows they are doing what a responsible and loving owner would do.. following up when something hasn't worked...

Can we stop the hystronics now??

I totally acknowledge this Abigail and I certainly wouldn't have handled it the same way as this owner did, but what I am saying is that we can't judge other people and their diligence by what we would do in a certain situation, and there is no guarantee that the owner told Monah the full story behind what was going on, so I don't see the point in getting angry and upset about it - concerned sure, but not angry and upset.

As for the some of the comments by the other posters, I don't think you are being over-dramatic about it and Monah isn't a "moaner" (WTF - not exactly called for......) - it's just the way that you would manage a situation like that - everyone's different and will manage things differently....as i said though i don't see the point in being angry or upset, or questioning the care the owner is giving their dog.

Oh Noes!! Let's all track this dreadful owner down and flog them to death :o After all third and fourth hand info is surely enough to condemn someone to death isn't it? :)

I suppose you do have a point in 3rd & 4th hand info. but who is promoting the death sentence in this case?