Wooden Floors And Puppy Claws!

Some friends of mine are considering getting a puppy later in the year. At the moment they are thinking of a cocker spaniel but still have lots of research to do.

One of the things they (especially the house-proud husband :laugh: ) are concerned about is whether little claws might do damage to their floating timber floors. I've told them if they keep them trimmed and filed, there shouldn't be any problem, especially with a smallish dog, but does anyone have experience with wooden floors and dogs? If they are running around, doing zoomies etc can they damage the floors?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that cocker spaniels are non (or low) shedding, but require brushing and clipping like poodles?

Thanks!

Dogs and timber floors are not good. I have two cavaliers and floating wood floors and they are scratched to buggery from the dogs. I have had to cover most of the floors with mats and rugs. Next time I would go slate or tiles.

I have two small dogs (6kg and 9kg) and our floating timber floors are trashed, my house proud OH was devastated at first but luckily he got over it :D

You can see scratches everywhere, but they are not through to the wood, just in the varnish. Zoomies are a real big killer for this! :laugh:

The floors are just over 1 year old and are engineered floating ones.

I trim my dogs' nails every weekend too and file off sharp edges.

Some friends of mine are considering getting a puppy later in the year. At the moment they are thinking of a cocker spaniel but still have lots of research to do.

One of the things they (especially the house-proud husband :laugh: ) are concerned about is whether little claws might do damage to their floating timber floors. I've told them if they keep them trimmed and filed, there shouldn't be any problem, especially with a smallish dog, but does anyone have experience with wooden floors and dogs? If they are running around, doing zoomies etc can they damage the floors?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that cocker spaniels are non (or low) shedding, but require brushing and clipping like poodles?

Thanks!

Socks for Dogs, they have rubber pads on the bottom to stop them slipping around. :D

Scratched floors aside, I don't like the idea of slippery floors and pups. In fact, I don't like the idea of slippery floors and adult dogs. Muscle, tendon and skeletal damage can occur if through their excitement they do the splits or similar. It is worse for big dogs, I believe, but I wouldn't like it for any.

I have floor boards. Haven't seen much of them for two years because I have them covered with rubber-backed carpet, for the sake of my dog.

Decking is similar - I have rubber matting covering my expansive deck area. Although I spend half my life straightening it out because dog looooooves to hoik it all up into a bunch and bury things in it. If there is a bone or a toy at one end of this rubber matting, he'll skritch the rubber matting until he's pulled it towards him. :laugh: :D. Oh well, a source of amusement for a certain very cherished dog :).

Edited by Erny

Scratched floors aside, I don't like the idea of slippery floors and pups. In fact, I don't like the idea of slippery floors and adult dogs. Muscle, tendon and skeletal damage can occur if through their excitement they do the splits or similar. It is worse for big dogs, I believe, but I wouldn't like it for any.

I have floor boards. Haven't seen much of them for two years because I have them covered with rubber-backed carpet, for the sake of my dog.

Decking is similar - I have rubber matting covering my expansive deck area. Although I spend half my life straightening it out because dog looooooves to hoik it all up into a bunch and bury things in it. If there is a bone or a toy at one end of this rubber matting, he'll skritch the rubber matting until he's pulled it towards him. :laugh: :D. Oh well, a source of amusement for a certain very cherished dog :mad.

:):):mad How cute!! Why get up and walk when you can just pull the toy to you :mad

But this is not sounding like good news for my friends! Sue Brown - Socks for Dogs, really??

We've had our timber floors polished recently - they are soft wood but look fine even with 3 indoor cats and a Dally. However, claws are clipped weekly here and no dog zoomies are allowed inside. Zig is great and adapted really well. Trots confidently on the floor boards and saves mad gallops for outside. Part of the house is slate, so we do indoor training in that area. Can't train the cats not to do zoomies :laugh: For a pup, I'd probably put down a few cheap rugs.

We've had our timber floors polished recently - they are soft wood but look fine even with 3 indoor cats and a Dally. However, claws are clipped weekly here and no dog zoomies are allowed inside. Zig is great and adapted really well. Trots confidently on the floor boards and saves mad gallops for outside. Part of the house is slate, so we do indoor training in that area. Can't train the cats not to do zoomies :laugh: For a pup, I'd probably put down a few cheap rugs.

I would have said the same, before my current boy. Kal, my previous girl (bless her cotton socks) was fine with the floor boards - the only spots I put mats down were on corners, because even just gently trotting around corners could bring about a slip. She was a very calm dog - not into zoomies regardless of indoors or out. She was a very conservative character. There would be light scratches on the floor boards from every day use, but nothing too drastic.

My current boy isn't permitted zoomies inside either, but he will throw the occasional 'mad moment' and leap around almost on the spot, playing play-bows with his reflection in the granite 'wall' I have, which segments off the kitchen area. He'll even stretch out with his front end and in the process his nails will pull in and grip on the protective carpet. In those instances, I'm glad of the large carpet piece I have in that part of the room.

What I mean by this is that it doesn't have to be about zoomies or fast running inside the house. Scratches can happen for other reasons as well, no matter how well behaved inside the house your dog might be.

To the OP's friends. Wear and tear WILL happen, no matter whether it is from a dog or by people (although more from a dog). And the first scratch on a beautifully polished floor board is the worst. That's when you have that "oh no!!" moment. But if they have carpet, there will be a certain amount of wear and tear as well (in all likelihood). It's the price we pay for having our dogs inside. I went through all the first scratches, the first carpet stain etc. I think it is worth it though for the pay-off of being able to interact and share in my dog's personality all that much more.

ETA: My carpet has suffered more than my floor boards ever have. But then, my choice of carpet was the worst mistake I made when I was having my house built and fitted out.

Edited by Erny

I have moved into my place and it has polished floors, they are pretty bad because the person I bought the house from had four BCs. But I dont mind because my dogs will zoom as well. So I will just put down rugs.

Thats just one of the things you handle, when you have dogs and polished floors.

Buy lots and lots and lots of rugs!! This is what I had to do when I moved into a house with just wooden floors.

They also wear non slip grippy dog socks too.

Zoomies are strictly for the outside.

Their nails has to get cut weekly too.

I don't know what 'zoomies' are but mine arent allowed to run madly around on them. This doesn't stop them doing the 'fred flintstone drive' (i.e feet madly scrambling but they dont seem to be going anywhere) if they hear the next door neighbours dog bark and want to rush out to bark at them. Similarly they do the same thing when someone comes to the door (but they are behavioural issues rather than floor issues). I have seen my female slip on her bottom on the timber floors though. Definately would not recommend them.

my cockers must be an exception to the rule :D I have wooden polished boards & cockers !!!!no problems @all >far rather mop a mistake from wooden floors than carpet !!!

you asked if cockers are non shedding <they do shed a little but if groomed (brushed) on a regular basis no problems again

my cockers must be an exception to the rule :D I have wooden polished boards & cockers !!!!no problems @all >far rather mop a mistake from wooden floors than carpet !!!

you asked if cockers are non shedding <they do shed a little but if groomed (brushed) on a regular basis no problems again

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Cockerlover, I think actual floorboards (if that's what you have) are a bit harder than floating timber so maybe hold up a bit better, does that sound right?!?

I was just talking to them about it, I suspect the floor will be sacrificed for the sake of a dog :D

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Cockerlover, I think actual floorboards (if that's what you have) are a bit harder than floating timber so maybe hold up a bit better, does that sound right?!?

I was just talking to them about it, I suspect the floor will be sacrificed for the sake of a dog :D

YEP I have hardwood polished boards,but tell yr friends ANY sacrefice is worth it to be owned by a cocker lol

I have floating timber floors and two cockers........and lots of scratches :D Mine are groomed each week as I keep them in full coat, but still shed lots. Doesn't both me, but OH thinks they are high maintenance.