Dog Attack This Morning

Black Bronson - why would it change the story? We did not see the dog until it had attacked? We could not have changed our behaviour? I am just as cautious with SWFs going nutso at a fence as I am a rottie..

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :eek:

Well said Black Bronson! I cannot believe how some people can be so stubborn and refuse the face the facts. F'ck, I was bitten by a shih tzu once, and yes it was a painful bite to the ankle but I know I would rather have suffered that than to be faced with a bigger dog namely a ======. Now, I am trying to visualise the K9 police with a maltese in tow, lol, that would frighten the beegeesas out of any crim!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BB the worst bite I have ever had in my 13 years of training all breeds of dog was from a Jack Russel Terrier, sunk his teeth into my calf the full depth of his canines. :banghead: Large chunk taken out, 24 stitches required.

I have yet to see a Rotty rip an arm off.

Yes, larger dogs are more powerful, but I have generally found that some smaller dogs have more attitude than the larger dogs.

Therefore, I judge a dog on its behaviour towards me and mine, not on what the breed of dog it happens to be.

Good on you for helping!

Im glad my partners GSD never attacked another dog or person. She had jumped the fence to get to a person walking their dog to have a go at the dog however parter was outside and has never jumped the fence so fast! Another time she jumped it to chase a person who was walking past. That was the final straw we got a behavouralist in (who was no help at all) and put up an electric fence which has contained her ever since. Works so well it isnt even turned on anymore.

I wish other dog owners had the commensense to stop their dogs getting out and to prevent attacks like the one you saw from happening!

It is why I specifically did not include the breed of the dog. The fact was the owners did not have their dog safely secured. The gates were open and the dog charged as soon as the other dog was in sight. The bitch had to run between the kids to attack the other dog.

A report has been made and the rangers will contact me.

Some prefer the whole story, not half of it???. The breed does matter in terms of fear factor for example, I was walking through an industrial area Saturday afternoon and a Rotty guard dog was going off at the fence of these premises. I am thinking, I hope that dog can't get out somewhere :eek: If it was an SWF going off at the fence line in an aggressive rage, I couldn't care less, so yes, breed does have an impact on most people.

Some also get sick of breed bashing as well which does tend to happen in these threads :) I really don't get the fear factor statement you made :banghead: Should people be fearful of certain breeds I don't think so they should be fearful of the actual dog who will bite and not the breed, biting does not really relate to breed.

I have an two examples

1. While waiting for a plane to arrive we pulled up alongside the freeway and parked fairly close to the fence where there was a German Shepherd guard dog, he went nuts when we got out of the car so I walked over to the fence to look at him as he was a gorgeous longcoat sable (a passion of mine :o ) he was the sweetest dog and didn't mind being petted in the least.

2. Walking my two dogs through an industrial site a Rottweiler guard dog went off as he saw us approach we just kept walking and then my GSD boy gave a reply back and he scuttled off whining like he was scared, my boy only gave a warning bark.

Obviously the moral to these stories is while some dogs sound scary in fact they aren't don't judge breeds judge dogs on actual facts of what happens :thanks:

It's not uncommon for people to use pets as guard dogs for a deterrent factor, but you wouldn't pet a trained guard dog through the fence, neither would it run away if challenged, but seriously, all dogs having a potential to cause equal injury level belief is not true. Football size dogs fly off the boot as easily as a football does, big one's don't.....that's a fact :heart:

That said if you wanted to move for having the dog put down, I can understand why. Sad situation all round.

with comments like that is it any wonder people don't report dog attacks?

Saaaay what?

I'm not having a go at your or anything, don't get so defensive.

I'm just saying, yes you are personally involved in this situation, you have to determine if this is the dogs fault or the owners fault.

Black Bronson - why would it change the story? We did not see the dog until it had attacked? We could not have changed our behaviour? I am just as cautious with SWFs going nutso at a fence as I am a rottie..

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :thanks:

Well said Black Bronson! I cannot believe how some people can be so stubborn and refuse the face the facts. F'ck, I was bitten by a shih tzu once, and yes it was a painful bite to the ankle but I know I would rather have suffered that than to be faced with a bigger dog namely a ======. Now, I am trying to visualise the K9 police with a maltese in tow, lol, that would frighten the beegeesas out of any crim!

I can just picture that..........the K9 squad rolls up, opens the back of the van and out pops a Maltese on a retractor leash............"STOP or I will deploy the dog" say's the K9 officer..........that's hillarious :eek::o . The crim would probably be caught falling over and wetting his pants with laughter :)

Guest belgian.blue
BB the worst bite I have ever had in my 13 years of training all breeds of dog was from a Jack Russel Terrier, sunk his teeth into my calf the full depth of his canines. :banghead: Large chunk taken out, 24 stitches required.

I have yet to see a Rotty rip an arm off.

Yes, larger dogs are more powerful, but I have generally found that some smaller dogs have more attitude than the larger dogs.

Therefore, I judge a dog on its behaviour towards me and mine, not on what the breed of dog it happens to be.

I agree. I'm more scared of the SWF as most want to murder [you can sense if through their body language] my Belgian girl when we walk the neighbourhoods and they are all going nuts at their secure gates.

There is a large [breed withheld] canine on our regular route and she's a real sweety to me through the fence but warning barks at Ivy as it's HER turf.

Breed makes no difference, it's the way they are raised and looked after.

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :cheer:

I can just picture that..........the K9 squad rolls up, opens the back of the van and out pops a Maltese on a retractor leash............"STOP or I will deploy the dog" say's the K9 officer..........that's hillarious :eek::o . The crim would probably be caught falling over and wetting his pants with laughter :thanks:

:heart::cheer: :cheer: :cheer: THese are the times when I am thankful I have a strong bladder otherwise I'd be sitting on a puddle right now. :)

Right which is why I said, IF the dog is stringently contained and so on.

There are dog aggressive dogs around, they aren't evil, just have to be dealt with properly and with a degree of responsibility.

I agree - but reporting the incident to the rangers is the most emphatic way of pursuing that. I think tianakaesha acted very responsibly.

The sad fact that the dog may be PTS shouldn't disuade people from calling the rangers for such a serious incident, anymore than the fact that a dog may end up in the pound stops me calling the local guys about the wandering dogs in my suburb. I used to just try and talk to the owners, but not anymore.

Edited by Diva

Right which is why I said, IF the dog is stringently contained and so on.

There are dog aggressive dogs around, they aren't evil, just have to be dealt with properly and with a degree of responsibility.

I agree - but reporting the incident to the rangers is the most emphatic way of pursuing that. I think tianakaesha acted very responsibly.

The sad fact that the dog may be PST shouldn't disuade people from calling the rangers for such a serious incident, anymore than the fact that a dog may end up in the pound stops me calling the local guys about the wandering dogs in my suburb. I used to just try and talk to the owners, but not anymore.

Agreed.

The ranger should have been called in any case, even if the owner could be contacted.

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :o

good point, I can just imagine a security chihuahua, a pekingnese schutzhund :eek: . I wonder why we never see it if the breed doesn't matter.

Edited by Kirislin

Strangely enough not a party pie, sausage roll or cake was stolen from a child's hand for the entire party :eek:

Admittedly a few fingers were cleaned however :banghead:

And the beast sat faster than some of the children when the music stopped.

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :o

good point, I can just imagine a security chihuahua, a pekingnese schutzhund :eek: . I wonder why we never see it if the breed doesn't matter.

I am constantly amazed as to how defensive certain people are about the disclosure of the breed involved in an attack. I guess it is a case of wanting the breed to remain hidden and then to accuse the media of sensationalism.