Limited Register

kyxen kennels

Hi guys

just curious about your thoughts on limited register.

we have had issues with this as we bought a dog on the limited register and the breeder gave us his word that he would change him to the main when he was a year old to make sure everything was ok with him. so we could then show and breed from him. this of course never happend and he is now nearly 3 and theres not much time to fight him on it. we have tried every avenue. cccq and nsw and they wont do anything about it. we have countless emails regarding the agreement but it wont stand up in court.

what are your thoughts on limited register. should pups be put on there just to stop people showing and breeding from them. or should there be a ligitamite reason they are on there (like major faults with the breed)

Edited by kyxen kennels

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be able to be used for the breeder to decide they don't want that pup bred from or shown, whatever the reason.

Your situation (being promised something you weren't given) sucks but I don't see it as a problem with the LR.

Did the contract state that the change would definitely be made or only if the dog had matured well enough to warrant the change to Main Register?

NSW now offer Main Register with a contract that states the dog cannot be bred or shown from though that doesn't help you...I dont' see a problem with the Limit Register as it stands but I'm sorry you've had a hard time.

I'm pretty sure there's an age limit on changing the register the dog is on and I'd assume it would have to be before 3 years of age???

Like the others I don't think your problem is with LR as such but with things not being done as promised.

Personally I think it is utterly bizarre that there is no registration class to allow people to own and show a dog but not breed from it. Obviously the ANKC thinks there's enough people involved with dog shows so there's no reason to encourage more to participate.

IMO LR should be for dogs that are not to be bred from, which may or may not mean they're not suitable to show.

i think that the limited register is a great idea but i think it is being abused im hearing more and more stories of people paying alot of money for pups and then they find out its on limited register. these are people who dont know any better and dont know to check. iv met a few people that wanted to start showing and bought a dog and then find out they cant show it because of limited register.

and now they are put off by the whole situation their not interested in showing anymore. and we wonder why people are buying these stupid laboodles and "disigner breeds".

it because of these bad experiences they get from us breeders

What do you mean people paying lots of money for pups and then finding out it's on Limited? Many breeders charge the same price ofr show/pet puppies so often the 'lots of money' is the same amount.

Do these people actually tell you they set out to show and told the breeder that or that they simply didn't know?

Did the contract state that the change would definitely be made or only if the dog had matured well enough to warrant the change to Main Register?

NSW now offer Main Register with a contract that states the dog cannot be bred or shown from though that doesn't help you...I dont' see a problem with the Limit Register as it stands but I'm sorry you've had a hard time.

I'm pretty sure there's an age limit on changing the register the dog is on and I'd assume it would have to be before 3 years of age???

when we got the dog we were only starting out in the show ring so we didnt no that there was a contract. it was a verbal contract. we have had the dog looked at by many judges and they all said he was a great represtation of the breed. yes he is nearly three and the cut off it at 3yrs. the breeder is a real w**ker and has gone back on his word. we even drove to nsw to see him in person and he wouldnt even look and the dog he bred.

weve been to the canine control council qld and they cant do anything coz he lives in nsw and nsw wont do anything coz we live in qld. its a no win situation and unfortunaly we have this beautiful dog that we cant do anything with and he is a family member so we cant even rehome him

A harsh lesson - verbal contracts :clap:

Even getting it all in writing can prove a waste of time but it's a darn sight better than a verbal agreement!

Get everything in writing, as it stands, there's absolutely no point persuing this...what does your receipt say, any mention of upgrade to Main Registration at 12 months of age?

What do you mean people paying lots of money for pups and then finding out it's on Limited? Many breeders charge the same price ofr show/pet puppies so often the 'lots of money' is the same amount.

Do these people actually tell you they set out to show and told the breeder that or that they simply didn't know?

they paid $2500 for a staffy pup and told the breeder that they told the breeder they didnt know if they would but maybe in a year or two. after 6 months they decided to show and went to do it but got told they cant because its on LR they went to the breeder who said i only sell pups to pet homes. the owners of the staffy didnt know that they wouldnt be allowed to show. if they knew that they would of gone to a different breeder.

they paid $2500 for a staffy pup and told the breeder that they told the breeder they didnt know if they would but maybe in a year or two. after 6 months they decided to show and went to do it but got told they cant because its on LR they went to the breeder who said i only sell pups to pet homes. the owners of the staffy didnt know that they wouldnt be allowed to show. if they knew that they would of gone to a different breeder.

Is the Stafford 'blue' in colour by any chance?

:clap:

A harsh lesson - verbal contracts :D

Even getting it all in writing can prove a waste of time but it's a darn sight better than a verbal agreement!

Get everything in writing, as it stands, there's absolutely no point persuing this...what does your receipt say, any mention of upgrade to Main Registration at 12 months of age?

yes well we have def learnt our lesson. we only have emails to the breeder as he lives in another state. but emails dont hold up in court.

A harsh lesson - verbal contracts :D

yes well we have def learnt our lesson. we only have emails to the breeder as he lives in another state. but emails dont hold up in court.

No, I'm sorry things have turned out the way they have, you won't get caught again!

Is the Stafford 'blue' in colour by any chance?

:D

i have no idea. they now own 2 staffys ones the one i was talking about and the other is a petshop one they bought for $500 dont know the colours sorry

In NSW if you sell a puppy on the Limited Register you must also give the new owner a Limited Register Acknowledgement form that both You and the new owner must sign and send back with the original pedigree certificate when you transfer the papers into the new owners name.

This form states that the new owner has been informed of what Limited Register means:

Ineligible for showing

Not suitable for breeding etc.

I think this is a great idea, as I believe a lot of new puppy owners in the past did not understand what Limited Register actually meant.

If the dog came from NSW, it can be upgraded from limit to main at any age now. The rules on limit to main changed last year.

That aside, if the breeder feels that the dog is not worthy of an upgrade, then that is entirely up to them. Everything should have been put in writing at the time of purchase, stating how and when the dog was to be assessed and what would happen of the dog was deemed not suitable for upgrade.

I don't have a problem with the limit register as it stands, my personal belief is that every pup not being retained by the breeder, going to a known show home or remaining co-owned should be placed on the limit register.

Edited by SBT123

All our puppies sold to pet homes receive limited register papers. If the buyers aren't current members of the ANKC then the pups are registered on a LR. We explain that they are sold as pets, not for breeding or showing. If at any time they join their state kennel control we will look at doing a transfer.

This is stated on our website as well. We charge the same amount for all puppies in the litter either Main or limited register

In NSW if you sell a puppy on the Limited Register you must also give the new owner a Limited Register Acknowledgement form that both You and the new owner must sign and send back with the original pedigree certificate when you transfer the papers into the new owners name.

This form states that the new owner has been informed of what Limited Register means:

Ineligible for showing

Not suitable for breeding etc.

I think this is a great idea, as I believe a lot of new puppy owners in the past did not understand what Limited Register actually meant.

This is the same in Qld too. Only difference is we can send the form in with the registration application and have the pup registered in the new owners name from the beginning eliminating the need for a transfer.

All my pups are sold on limited register unless I know the person etc.

My puppy owners sign a form stated that they understand about the limited register and the pup is to be desexed.

It is up to the breeder to explain this to the new owners and the new owners to ask questions if they don't understand.

I have had a couple owners come back when the pups where 6 months old asking about showing, but once going to a show and seeing how competitive it gets they soon changed their minds :laugh:

When looking for a pup you need to be upfront with the breeders explaining if you want to show or just a pet.

Leanne