Jasper Traumatised After Saving Owner

Baby Dragon

Jasper traumatised after saving owner Holly

May 14, 2010 8:27PM

JASPER is more than a lifeline for vision-impaired Irene Submera. He is a lifesaver.

The guide dog prevented Ms Submera suffering more serious injuries when he pulled his owner back as a car was about to hit her on a pedestrian crossing.

But the trauma almost cost Jasper his job.

Ms Submera was badly hurt when the car came around a corner and knocked her off her feet.

"I felt him move in a different direction and pull me back. I do believe he saved my life," Ms Submera said.

She suffered several serious fractures requiring surgery and spent five weeks in rehabilitation after the accident in early March.

Ms Submera will require further treatment, but she is just as concerned about the psychological effect on her much-loved labrador, and fears he may longer be able to work.

"He is such a sunny-natured dog. He's very flirty, he loves people," Ms Submera said.

"He has always loved working - you would pull his harness off the hook and he would bound into it, as if he was saying 'Oh good, another adventure'."

But after the accident, Jasper shied away from the harness and showed signs of stress.

While Ms Submera remained in hospital, five-year-old Jasper returned to Guide Dogs Victoria for an intensive assessment and some retraining.

Justin Marshall, of Guide Dogs Victoria, said Jasper had obviously been shaken by the accident, but responded well to retraining.

"We have been able to boost his confidence back up," Mr Marshall said.

Jasper returned home to Ms Submera when she was discharged from rehabilitation three weeks ago.

But Mr Marshall said the retraining would continue to ensure Jasper had no further anxiety issues.

"We will be taking Jasper for another week soon so that we can walk him through different travel routes, including the intersection where Irene was hit," Mr Marshall said.

"It's better for us to do that with Jasper, because if Irene feels any anxiety at that intersection then Jasper will pick that up - the bond between the two of them is so strong."

Mr Marshall said he expected Jasper, who was not physically injured, would make a full psychological recovery.

Ms Submera said she was extremely grateful to the organisation and wanted to keep working with Jasper, who has been with her for four years.

"We have such a good rapport, we are a team," she said.

Ms Submera has received a payout from the TAC, and her lawyer Stuart LeGrand, of Slater and Gordon, has urged motorists to show greater viligance.

Mr Marshall said it cost up to $30,000 to train a guide dog, and Guide Dogs Victoria then provided support for the lifetime of the animal.

"But what a dog like Jasper provides is priceless," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/...x-1225866988334

I worry about a blind friend of mine. She and her guide dog have nearly been hit a number of times at her local crossing, despite it having lights. People often turn the corner and are only looking at oncoming traffic, not the crossing lights turning red or anyone actually crossing. I see near misses all the time with sighted people who are lucky not to be hit.