Muzzle Recommendation Please

cowanbree

I have a sheltie who has throat issues and can’t eat normal food. This is controllable within my own house but there seems to be food everywhere I go outside the house so I am looking for a muzzle for him that will prevent him eating the food. I am not concerned if it also restricts drinking as he will only wear it while I am with him but I would like it to be as unobtrusive as possible while still doing the job. All the muzzles I have seen either wouldn’t stop him eating or look extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend a brand?

I have a sheltie who has throat issues and can’t eat normal food. This is controllable within my own house but there seems to be food everywhere I go outside the house so I am looking for a muzzle for him that will prevent him eating the food. I am not concerned if it also restricts drinking as he will only wear it while I am with him but I would like it to be as unobtrusive as possible while still doing the job. All the muzzles I have seen either wouldn’t stop him eating or look extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend a brand?

I hope you can find what you are looking for. I understand your need for it. It is amazing how much discarded food you come across on a single walk, I am always saying "leave it" but in your case I can see why a muzzle would be a good solution. I saw a muzzle on a border collie the other day that was some sort of black heavy fabric, it looked quite restrictive so even though the end of the mouth was uncovered I would think it would be very difficult to pick up food with this on.Perhaps your local pet supply might let you try different ones on to see what works.

no the ones from ABS also have an extra piece just inside where the nose and mouth is.

If you are so concerned keep your dog on a lead whilst out walking and also teach it the 'leave' command. Training a dog to eat only out of its own bowl would be a very useful thing to do in this case.

I don't have much to add, but I hope you can find something the fits the bill.

Because I've always had dogs for whom food doesn't seem to be an issue, I have been a bit shocked lately to find Sari and Kisho picking up stuff from the street: Kisho I held his muzzle and made him drop it, but with Sari you'd lose a hand if you tried to do that. I think it was just a piece of crust though and she is still with us, so couldn't have been too bad. Kisho's was possum poo :laugh: and he dropped it when I told him to. Good boy. :rofl:

I started Hope off with a light-weight home-made adapted nylon muzzle (shade cloth at the end so she could still drink and pant), then once she was comfortable with that and was able to eat slightly lumpier food, I changed her to a stronger, but still light plastic basket muzzle.

post-6062-1274073469_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1274073599_thumb.jpg