Is An American Staffordshire Terrier A Pitbull?

jackie_a1

Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting.

So the breed "American Bully" which I can work out is a cross between the APBT and ASBT seems to then fill the gaps.

They look to be a recognised breed in USA.

I am not overly familiar with any of the bull breeds but am always keen to get accurate information and learn more.

Our boy is loved no matter what people think he is...On paper it says he is an amstaff, as long as laws let him live peacefully in our yard without drama, i'll be happy. I also have bench kelpies, one who does as much work as working kelpie if she were allowed...

Edited by sandra64

Dasha check out this site

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/americanbully.htm

The American Bully breed was established in the mid 1990 s with the purpose of creating the ultimate family companion. The American Bully was created through years of selective breeding by combining the desired traits of the UKC American Pit Bull Terrier and the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Bully's origin's can be seen both on the East and West Coast of the United States, primarily in Virgina, and Los Angeles, California. Today the American Bully can also be seen, in Europe and Asia.

In saying that American bullys can be pitbull cross american bull dogs, pitbull cross mastiffs , pretty much anything you can cross with a pitbull to make it larger, heavier and more intimidating. And contrary to what the passage says the majority of breeders don't use selective I know plenty backyard breeders who just cross any pitt with any mastiff so not ALL are carefully bred. But NOT all arent too I guess?

Edited by jackie_a1

Hey Tes,

So they ALL have to get rid of am staffs, pitts etc? What about Am staff registered breeders they're not exempt? By remove they mean?

I honestly don't know Jackie. I haven't worked with the same woman at work since we had a very brief discussion about it amongst our work group at break time.

I'm not back into work until Saturday, but if I see her, I will ask her source.

Thanks Tes,

It makes me wonder what the breeders in QLD will do? Just give away their dogs I think not. And to the poor responsible pet owners I couldn't fathom having to get rid of my boys because the government sees it fit.

And this is what Australian law is coming to.

Well we know for certain that the GCCC has suspended registrations for the AST, so any and all breeders who are still selling pups to people residing on the GC are doing so at there pups peril.

I havnt found anything on removing AST's unless that is about the now unregisterable dogs?

Rego for staffordshire terriers on hold

Melinda Marshall | April 21st, 2010

Couple's dog fight on shaky ground

REGISTRATIONS of American staffordshire terriers have been frozen as the Gold Coast City Council comes to grips with a controversial court ruling.

The freeze puts Gold Coast American staffy owners at risk of a $200 on-the-spot fine for breaching laws requiring registration of dogs more than three months old.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled that American staffies were the same breed as outlawed American pit bulls.

The court decision addressed a Gold Coast couple's appeal against the council's identification of their dog Tango as a pit bull, rather than an American staffy.

A council memo, obtained by the Bulletin, reveals that the council has ordered staff not to register American staffies or crossbreeds, or process any transfers of ownership.

Separately, the council has warned that American staffies found wandering at large could be destroyed as a restricted breed.

American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Queensland president Melissa Greenall said the freeze was devastating for the Gold Coast's roughly 200 American staffy owners.

"Council is forcing people to do the wrong thing," she said.

"If they're not allowing people to register their dogs, then what are these people supposed to do?

"Essentially they're being punished for having the wrong name or label on their dog.

"From a breeder's perspective it means we cannot sell to anyone who is in the Gold Coast region."

The council's animal management chief Cr Bob La Castra said the council had to treat American staffies as a restricted breed until the State Government decided to make changes to the law or the court decision was successfully appealed.

"That means a permit is needed to keep them and our local law currently does not provide for the issuing of new permits," he said.

"Council cannot consider its position on the local law until the State Government has made a decision and the appeal process has been completed."

Councillor Dawn Crichlow said the council was saying one thing and doing another.

"The state hasn't determined that it should be a restricted dog and yet our council, as sneaky as they are, have decided to restrict that breed."

Thanks Tes,

It makes me wonder what the breeders in QLD will do? Just give away their dogs I think not. And to the poor responsible pet owners I couldn't fathom having to get rid of my boys because the government sees it fit.

And this is what Australian law is coming to.

I know, it's really very worrying.

I know of quite a few people (as, I'm sure others do too) who have Staffords and American Staffords who show, etc.

What the heck that would mean for them ..... well.........

I know for darn sure, I wouldn't be giving anything up.

Soon as I speak to the woman, I'll let you know.

p.s. I'm Tracey, Tessie is my Stafford beaaaaatch :thumbsup:

It just amazes me that somebody got up and convinced a court that an AST is the same as a APBT. This puts AST really behind the 8 ball.

If this isn't proof of why the AST people should completely and publicly disassociate themselves from the APBT, I don't know what is.

Thats exactly what the GCCC did, the problem of ID'ing and making distinctions between them was to great a problem, even when genetic evidence of the parent dogs was shown.

It is much easier for council to go this way.

So many people on here say if an amstaff aint got papers, then its a pitbull. Then there areeven people saying the AST is the "Real APBT"!

Theres even buyer beware messages plastered over the AST club pages saying this.

Disassociation isnt going to happen IMO. So they all better try another avenue.

:thumbsup: After that comment maybe I'll just keep callin ya Tes HAHAH :laugh:

Hey Gecko thanks for posting that up.

If you guys are interested Gecko I know you're already there try and check out the thread called THUGGIES DOGGIES in BSL. It'll make you laugh and not in the good way.