Doggy Blood Donor Needed

Colliewood

I have 3 Danes that might be able to fit the bill.

One was just desexed today, so not sure if she'll be ok to do it. (49kgs)

One is 10, so not sure if she's ok to do it. (46kgs)

One is on Cortisone, so not sure if he's ok to do it. (56kgs)

If your Vet feels that one of them may be suitable let me know.

Not sure if your dogs have whelped a litter before, but they shouldn't be blood donors in they have. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

Nup, no babies :laugh:

Sorry, can't help you with Orbit, he's on regular medication.

But you know your vet can buy blood from a 'blood bank'?

Thanks Stormie.

I was thinking there had to be a blood bank somewhere.

Will call my customer ( I wash the ill dog) and get them to speak to their vet.

ta

The dog blood bank is based in melb. We learnt this when my daughters do was badly injured.

We had to put the call out for donors as most of the doggy blood bank had used up its supply with bush fires.

The blood is costly to buy and its much cheaper if you can supply your own ( we also discovered this :D )

I would also try call the vet clinic based at Sydney Uni - I think they are a teaching facility, so might make it more likely, or they might have contacts for you?

My girl is just under the required weight (26-28kg) and my boofhead boy, who is the right weight, I don't think would cope, especially if it required him to stay still.

Healing vibes being sent your way.

I have a 7.5 month old desexed male Dane cross foster rescue pup here... last weigh-in about 3 weeks ago he was 28kg (and has grown since then). I would have to clear it with the rescue organisation I foster for, but he may fit the bill for a one off blood donation if he's deemed suitable and types correctly...

He's a little shy, but if I'm allowed to sit with him for the donation process, he will be fine and calm... he's a big mummy's boy... *sigh*

T.

Hi Everyone,

Great news! One of the vets dogs at the clinic is a match. So she is having transfusion today. :laugh:

Thanks so much to all and if she needs another and the other dog is unable can I call on you??

The owners wanted me to pass on their sincere thanks as well. They were very touched. :dancingelephant::birthday::birthday::cheer:

If I have a suitably large foster dog and my rescue group coordinator agrees - call on me anytime, OK?

My permanent girls are just under the 30kg mark and though desexed now, have each had one litter in the past... so they might not be suitable...

T.

• 4 weeks later...
Very sad news today.

Maddie put up a brave fight but could go on no longer. She was PTS today due to complications.

Run free little girl. :laugh:

You will be missed.

Oh no! :( I hope she can now rest in peace. :)

I was just going to ask....

Does anyone know how you can get involved in donating your dog's blood? Both my dogs are over 30kgs and could be possible donors. If someone was in need I'd like to help as my hubby and I are both blood donors! :laugh:

Very sad news today.

Maddie put up a brave fight but could go on no longer. She was PTS today due to complications.

Run free little girl. :laugh:

You will be missed.

Oh no! :( I hope she can now rest in peace. :)

I was just going to ask....

Does anyone know how you can get involved in donating your dog's blood? Both my dogs are over 30kgs and could be possible donors. If someone was in need I'd like to help as my hubby and I are both blood donors! :laugh:

You can call your Vet and just let them know you are happy to donate if there is an emergency, that's very helpful to know.

Melbourne University have a canine blood bank. I'm pretty sure that South Paws may be interested as well as they have had to use staff dogs in the past.

I've had to find blood for my own dog at short notice and if you live far away from Werribee it can be quite stressful.

I wonder if we should set up a thread listing some volunteer dog donors in different states?

I'd be curious about letting one of my guys donate - even to a blood bank supply but i'm not sure where we can do that in Brissie.

You can call your Vet and just let them know you are happy to donate if there is an emergency, that's very helpful to know.

Melbourne University have a canine blood bank. I'm pretty sure that South Paws may be interested as well as they have had to use staff dogs in the past.

I've had to find blood for my own dog at short notice and if you live far away from Werribee it can be quite stressful.

Thanks. I'll look into that. Do the dogs need to be sedated to donate? How often can they donate. I know with us we can do it every three months.