Now I Know It's Not Really My Business But....

I am often looking through Gumtree and a few weeks back came across a beautiful Irish Setter free to good home. I'm sure many of you DOLers have seen her. A week or so later the advert was removed so I thought she must have gone to a new home. A couple of days later I noticed she was back on Gumtree advertised by a different person who stated she would be suitable for breeding. She is 8 years old! I was quite upset by this and thought it best to contact the original poster. They got back to me equally distressed as they thought they had rehomed her to someone that would supply her with the best of care. It would seem this wasn't the case. The original poster apparently contacted the new owner and asked them what was going on. She apparently was told the ad was a mistake and that she was really just looking for a sitter for the dog. Hardly! The ad stated "free to good home" and mentioned her ability for breeding purposes. Anyway the ad was then changed to "sitter wanted" All of this was very bizarre and I advised the original owner to try and get the dog back as it all seemed a little suspect. I never knew the outcome and it really played on my mind for a while. Yesterday afternoon I was doing my Gumtree run again and there was the Irish Setter once again advertised by the new owner but this time with a $200 price tag. Unbelieveable. Firstly she goes and adopts a free to good home dog, tries to fob it off to a BYB, then changes the ad to "dog sitter wanted" and now she wants $200 for her. The dog wasn't officially signed over to the new owner so I'm assuming they don't actually own the dog and have no right to sell her??

I know this is none of my business but I find this all quite heartbreaking. I'm just wondering if anything can be done and if not would anyone be interested in buying her off this person? I don't have the yard space for her and I doubt my Cocker would be pleased with sharing his lime light but I'd hate to think what would happen to her if she can't be sold. I know of a Irish Setter rescue in SA but that's a little far off with the dog being in Sydney. Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a sad story for the old girl... Have you tried contacting the rescue place in SA. They may be able to put you onto some one in sydney or even arrange for transport to them

I really hope that she finds her forever loving home

:rofl: to you for speaking out.

Obviously the person that adopted her did so for breeding purposes but realised she was too old. It's a really sad situation. Such a beautiful old girl passed from house to house. :rofl:

I will write to the Irish Setter rescue in SA. I'm sure there are many people that would be interested in her but it really erks me that someone will have to pay this person $200 to do so. The old owner didn't get the new owners address which makes it difficult to get her back.

Just to add, the poster has now dropped their price from $200 as of last night to $150 this morning. Charming! Still I'm hoping someone with the right intentions will pay this for her. Frankly she'd be better of at the pound where she will be desexed and rehomed to a suitable owner. If only the original owner knew the address of this person. Ugh.

Just to add, the poster has now dropped their price from $200 as of last night to $150 this morning. Charming! Still I'm hoping someone with the right intentions will pay this for her. Frankly she'd be better of at the pound where she will be desexed and rehomed to a suitable owner. If only the original owner knew the address of this person. Ugh.

Why doesn't she buy her back? She must have their contact details.

Why don't you buy her and pass her on to rescue?

BL a lot of rescues don't take private surrenders - they only take dogs from the pound.

To the OP - I'd contact the rescue groups and see if they'd take on a private surrender. You could post in the Rescue section as many have their hands full and don't come to General often.

Well, I wrote to the new poster and asked if she was still available. She simply responded "no". I have a feeling the original owner may have mentioned my involvement in informing her of the dog being re-advertised and this new owner won't have anything to do with me. Hence my being on here to find someone who can take her. Am writing to a Irish Setter breeder in my area. Fingers crossed.

The old owner didn't obtain any contact details apart from an email. I don't know if she is all that concerned anyway :rofl:

Can't exactly call the old owner here responsible. They gave away for free their 8 year old dog, no vetting done of the new home, and didn't even get the new owners details :rofl:

Hope the old girl finds her forever home to retire in, in loving peace!!

The old owner didn't obtain any contact details apart from an email. I don't know if she is all that concerned anyway :rofl:

My guess is she isn't, or she wouldn't have just given her dog away to the first person who came along. I realise that rehoming is sometimes necessary, but there are more responsible ways to go about it than palming it off for free on gumtree :rofl:

I know this is none of my business but I find this all quite heartbreaking. I'm just wondering if anything can be done and if not would anyone be interested in buying her off this person? I don't have the yard space for her and I doubt my Cocker would be pleased with sharing his lime light but I'd hate to think what would happen to her if she can't be sold. I know of a Irish Setter rescue in SA but that's a little far off with the dog being in Sydney. Any advice appreciated.

If people who care don't make things that worry them their business, the world would be a much worse place.

Obviously the person that adopted her did so for breeding purposes but realised she was too old. It's a really sad situation. Such a beautiful old girl passed from house to house. :rofl:

I will write to the Irish Setter rescue in SA. I'm sure there are many people that would be interested in her but it really erks me that someone will have to pay this person $200 to do so. The old owner didn't get the new owners address which makes it difficult to get her back.

Two highlighted pieces here. A lot of BYBs don't care about the age of a dog: they'll breed the poor things until they drop dead.

The old owners are every bit as bad as the new owner for having so little care about their dog.

If the new owner has been alerted to you and knows your voice and name, can't you get a friend to do all the contact and buying on your behalf?

I know you don't feel you can rescue the dog personally, but maybe if you have a big think, you could. Then have all the necessary veterinary procedures undertaken and rehome her to an Irish Setter knowedgable person.

There is an Irish Setter Club in NSW...

Irish Setter Association of NSW Inc

President: Rescue, Referral & Puppy enquires: Jenny Finch 02 94510609

Email: [email protected]

Secretary,& Membership enquires:Carrie Pain 02 62382432

email: [email protected]

They might be able to do something...

This is a very sad situation :rofl:

Thank you, will write to them also!

If people who care don't make things that worry them their business, the world would be a much worse place.

Two highlighted pieces here. A lot of BYBs don't care about the age of a dog: they'll breed the poor things until they drop dead.

The old owners are every bit as bad as the new owner for having so little care about their dog.

If the new owner has been alerted to you and knows your voice and name, can't you get a friend to do all the contact and buying on your behalf?

I know you don't feel you can rescue the dog personally, but maybe if you have a big think, you could. Then have all the necessary veterinary procedures undertaken and rehome her to an Irish Setter knowedgable person.

I'll write to the new owner under another email. Will let everyone know the result.

BL a lot of rescues don't take private surrenders - they only take dogs from the pound.

That's a shame. The dogs needs are no different.

actually they are - dogs in the pound are facing being put down in most cases - their need is quite often far greater and far more immediate. Many rescues take private surrenders when able and dependant on the individual situation but in a straight out comparison between a dog that has an owner there that can take responsibility and a dog in a pound facing a count down to death, it is no contest who has the greater need.