More Photos For Feedback If Dolers Don't Mind

FranVT

I thought since I am getting such good feedback from you guys that I'd just make a 'learning' thread instead of a different thread every time I take a new set of photos :)

We went to the beach yesterday :laugh: Then I just took some photos around my dad's garden.

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

Sure! Those are actually linked from Photobucket but before I uploaded them I did reduce them in size quite a bit because otherwise they seem to take FOREVER to upload. My internet isn't super slow either. Definitely happy to make them bigger next time.

Thanks heaps for the compliments JS! I feel like in that one the flowers get a bit 'lost' in the busy-ness of the background though.

Should also add, these were taken using a 55-200 lens. I got some awesome advice from a mentor of mine (in work and life in general) who is a really good amateur photographer and uses Nikon. He said to not get too used to using Automatic setting because it'll make me lazy. Haha.

Edited by FranCQ

Hey Fran, when I first started out, instead of using automatic I started out using P or program and the camera still does a lot of the work for you but you can change things like Exposure compensation, white balance iso etc. It used to annoy me on automatic because as soon as you get in a spot with low light the flash would automatically pop up or the camera just wouldn't take the shot. I still use automatic focus most of the time too.

Congrats on your new camera, my first critique on these would be you have one postion of camera direction. Try getting down low or just experiment in different angles with the camera direction. :thumbsup: Also try moving the subject off the middle of frame, play around with different compositions. :thumbsup:

Being a black dog, Luuka is going to be a bit of a challenge. The light will be better early in the morning or later in the afternoon.

I made myself never use the dslr on auto. If you throw yourself into the the deepend with manual, you will learn very quickly what settings to use :thumbsup:

another good thing is to let us know what the settings are. Also, how are you metering with these, are you spot metering on the subject (the dog), or letting the camera pick it by matrix or allover reading - a couple with the dog, the subject is very dark, whereas the water is nicely exposed, whereas if you want the dog exposed you would need to override what the camera wants to do by either opening up the aperture or using a slower shutter speed. Harsh light is also not the nest for getting subjects in, I try to either go for less harsh shadows, even shade, or even best of all, a nice bright overcast day, so you are then having the sun act as a giant softbox, and there is no harsh shadowing. Agree with trying different angles, or even getting the subject at different heights to you too. Love the catchlights you got in that last dog shot, and look like the focus is good on those (hard to tell as they are small), but the other will all come, it is just a matter of lots of practice.