Breeder Lied About Giving Me My Puppy's Papers

happie

I bought a bichon frise puppy from a breeder back in February and he was advertised as "will be registered with Dogs NSW" which I thought meant that I would get some sort of papers showing the registration and I was told this by the breeder as well. But Ive emailed the breeder a number of times and the last time she told me she had sent the docs off but its been more than a month and I've not heard back from her.

Shes no longer replying to my emails and she doesnt answer the phone.

She also showed me a certificate of the puppy's pedigree which she said she was going to send to me in the post but she hasnt and I paid a premium price for what I thought was a pedigree puppy - but now I dont know if she even shows her dogs. And she has given me a bad impression of her "operations"

She is still selling puppies on the DogzOnline pages and she seems to have puppies available for sale all the time.

The other thing was when I got my puppy he was not in good condition. He had infections in both ears with one ear completely blocked with smelly brown stuff which also caused his eyes to tear and stain. He's healthy and happy now but Im not happy with the "breeder" who I feel is selling so called pedigree puppies under the guise of a responsible dog breeder/shower when she's not. Because she cant even get her act together and give me my dog's papers which she promised.

Is there anything I can do?

Did you mention any of this to her?

There isn't much you can do via DogsNSW, they will tell you it is a civil matter.

My advice would be to contact Fair Trading and see what they say.

First of all before going to Fair Trading, I would be contacting Dogs NSW, the controlling Canine body in your state, to first of all see if she is a registered member, they will not get involved, but could possibly tell you if she is a current registered member, just briefly tell them your story, as she should have transferred the pedigree into your name within fourteen days of purchase, in my state, I do not know if it is the same elsewhere, dogs cannot be registered after 18 months of age, if she is a member and she is now not replying to emails or phone calls then I would take it to the office of Fair Trading.

I do sincerely hope that this can be sorted very quickly for you, as these sought of people give us reputable breeders a bad name.

Contact Dogs NSW and find out if she is in fact a registered breeder (should of been done before considering getting a pup from her).

If she is then ask if she has registered the litter that the pup is from, if she has then ask if she has put the papers in to be transfered into your name.

I know here in SA DogsSA will try to contact the breeder if they have had complaints, not sure if it is the same in NSW.

Maybe the fact that she always has pups for sale etc should of given you warning that she may not be the best breeder to purchase from.

Leanne

First of all before going to Fair Trading, I would be contacting Dogs NSW, the controlling Canine body in your state, to first of all see if she is a registered member, they will not get involved, but could possibly tell you if she is a current registered member, just briefly tell them your story, as she should have transferred the pedigree into your name within fourteen days of purchase, in my state, I do not know if it is the same elsewhere, dogs cannot be registered after 18 months of age, if she is a member and she is now not replying to emails or phone calls then I would take it to the office of Fair Trading.

I do sincerely hope that this can be sorted very quickly for you, as these sought of people give us reputable breeders a bad name.

NSW do not require a dog to be transferred into the purchaser's name by the breeder.

NSW will not get involved in a dispute over ownership.

You can also contact Troy who owns DOL, if they are still advertising here.

ETA: Not saying he will get you your papers but he does investigate which might see the breeder make good or he will remove them if they are dodgy.

Edited by molasseslass

Ellz if you re read my entry you will see that I told the OP that Dogs NSW would not get involved, I just suggested that they find out if she is a current registered breeder.

When I bought my pup I hadn't received the papers for 2 months and I was really worried.

I called dogsnsw who said that yes she was a member and that they would send her a letter on my behalf by registered post to prompt her to contact me. If she still didn't respond to that then they said they can't so anything.

I asked dogsnsw to hold off a few days as I wanted to give the breeder a few more days to respond and in that time she got back to me with an explanation that I was quite happy with.

I then contacted dogsNSW again and the lady I spoke to tried to push me to still send the letter as I hadn't received the papers yet and was just taking the word of the breeder. I decided against this.

So.... it might me worth having a chat the the ppl at dogsnsw because it depends on who you talk to.

When I bought my pup I hadn't received the papers for 2 months and I was really worried.

I called dogsnsw who said that yes she was a member and that they would send her a letter on my behalf by registered post to prompt her to contact me. If she still didn't respond to that then they said they can't so anything.

I asked dogsnsw to hold off a few days as I wanted to give the breeder a few more days to respond and in that time she got back to me with an explanation that I was quite happy with.

I then contacted dogsNSW again and the lady I spoke to tried to push me to still send the letter as I hadn't received the papers yet and was just taking the word of the breeder. I decided against this.

So.... it might me worth having a chat the the ppl at dogsnsw because it depends on who you talk to.

Did you end up getting the papers in the end?

Ive given the details to Troy whos been so kind to initiate to help me contact the breeder. I'll see how he goes then I might give DogsNSW a call.

Its been 4 months since I got my puppy so shes definitely run out of excuses. And Im sure shes sold litters of puppies before mine so I dont know whats gone on to stop her from getting the papers done, if assuming that she did in the past.

Thanks everyone! Ill keep you all updated.

Yes I got the papers in the end.

The breeder was gloing through some personal difficulties so didn't get the paper work in until 2 weeks after I picked up my pup, she then got the names submitted rejected and had to resubmit them, wait for dogsnsw to send them back and then forward the papers to me.

She wasn't being dodgy.... just lazy and preoccupied and then dogsnsw took time at their end.

Hopefully this will be the case for you and your breeder is just lazy and is too embarrassed to face you until they have the papers for you.

• 1 month later...

After another excuse from the breeder last month that her fax to DogsNSW didnt go through and that she was going to send them again, now its a month later and I have not heard anything from her and still no papers!

Troy of these forums has taken up this matter with the breeder and he said to wait a month to see if the papers come but they havent. Im just waiting on his response now if he gets any from the breeder. Im not sure what Fair Trading can do.

Troy of these forums has taken up this matter with the breeder and he said to wait a month to see if the papers come but they havent. Im just waiting on his response now if he gets any from the breeder. Im not sure what Fair Trading can do.

Probably more than Troy can. He can certainly "shame" the breeder into action and prevent them from advertising on this site, but that is where it would end. Troy has no power within the law.

I feel for you Happie :)

Unfortunately I have heard similar stories from other people who have purchased puppies from this person.

Do you even know if she has infact registered the litter your pup was from?? Or has she registered them and just not sent the papers to you??

It is so easy to register puppies these days. The new online regsitration is very simple to use, and they are very quick to process.

I just registered my current litter, submitted it on Tuesday afternoon and the papers were in my mail box on the Thursday :)

I feel for you Happie :love:

Unfortunately I have heard similar stories from other people who have purchased puppies from this person.

Do you even know if she has infact registered the litter your pup was from?? Or has she registered them and just not sent the papers to you??

It is so easy to register puppies these days. The new online regsitration is very simple to use, and they are very quick to process.

I just registered my current litter, submitted it on Tuesday afternoon and the papers were in my mail box on the Thursday :noidea:

I dont think she's registered the litter at all. And she's given excuse after excuse as to why she hasnt done so. Maybe she doesnt want to pay for it.

Edited by Troy