I Always Thought My Dogs Understood Everything I Said To Them...

Norskgra

How amazing. :laugh:

My old BC boy knew bed, as soon as we said it he would very calmly trot up the hallway and sit at the back door, waiting. :rofl:

He also knew 'where's your ball?' as he would always get it stuck under the sofa or something and come and complain to us. If we hadn't seen where it went we'd say, 'where's your ball?' and he'd go to the spot he'd lost it, look at it, look at us, and whine. This also happened with us - If I couldn't find mum I'd ask him where she was and he'd find her, and vice versa.

Also, when I did jumps with him or threw him the ball, I'd get him all riled up by saying, 'ya ready, are ya ready!?' and he'd start wiggling and whining as if to say, 'oh yes, yes I am!'

Gotta love our little mates. :laugh:

When we take the 3 dogs out in a leads off aea my youngest always runs off exploring. My sister started saying to her husky/shephard cross "Wolf, go get Stussy!" and Wolf would go and round Stuss up, driving her back to us. Our dogs also go beserk when they hear our cars coming down the street. I got a new car wednesday arvo yet by the time I came home in it on Thurs night they already responded to the sound of it. I bloody love dogs! They are so amazing!

WE have to talk in code or spell things here :laugh: they know too many darn words :laugh:

we have to do that as well :)

Oscar and Dude know a lot of words! Peoples names, places, different food, toys etc etc

I have always believed that animals are actually the smartest here on earth and only let us think we are smarter

Still cracks us up when OH & I talk about it. Bailey our Goldy was up on the bed, and she came up to our heads and stood over OH's face staring at him (usually code for take me outside). OH said "get away your breath stinks", Bailey leaned in a bit closer and huffed in his face :laugh:

My old JRT that still lives with my parents knows the spelling of WALK, so dad started using "Perambulation"... she has now figured out that word too :)

Edited by Bailey9

There is so much that they understand, but to actually push you towards a poo :) that is one smart pooch.

Aren't they so lovely to talk to when they kink their heads to one side trying to understand. The hardest thing to do is learn another language and out pooches do it so well.

I have rather long conversations with my dog, her head moves side to side and keeps me rambling on about nothing.....lol

They definitely do understand a lot of what we say, I think it depends on how much time the dog spends with their human.

My old girl is quite blind and often gets lost in her return to the house. I tell Luci to 'get Mimi'- so she does. If I say 'birdie' she goes to my cockateil and sits. 'Mouse' gets her to check the traps. 'Doggie lol lols" means a treat is in order. 'Doggie doctor' means a trip to the vet. "Who did this?' means she will make herself scarce- often to the kids rooms from who she learnt that behaviour... :)

:rofl:

Kaisie showed us a new trick this morning.

Her old squeaky toy - which is over 5 years old now since she has taken such care with it after "kiling" the first one :laugh: - was getting very hard and was losing the squeak. I'm so proud of the way she learned in one go that biting a squeak kills the squeak! :bottom:

So I figured she had earned a new one and got the spare out of the cupboard this morning. She was delighted! She squeaked it a bit and was happily walking circles around the kitchen/family room with it. DH said "squeak" and she squeaked it once and stopped, but kept walking. So he said "squak" again and she did it again. And it just kept going..over and over. She actually knew what "squeak" meant and was playing along. :rofl:

Vicsta thought I was exaggerating about Shadow so tonight I thought I would test him. I asked him if he had done a poo and he pushed me to it again. While he was out, he did a seond one which we saw him do. I again asked him if he had done a poo and he oushed me towards it again. I walked a bit further and he came over and pushed me back until I was in line with it. Vicsta saw both times tonight and now she realises that I wasn'r exaggerating.