Grain Free Dog Food In Australia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EPI is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency basically the pancrease stops functioning and enzymes are needed for life to help the body process the goodness in foods but I am a learner to all this but that seems the basis of it. There are many other things that also help along the way eg B12 shots weekly diet antibiotics for the secondary condition of EPI which is SIBO the story goes on and on and the bills and products. Basically its a long hall of trial and era it seems but they tell me once the condition is stable which could take months the dogs can return to a healthy weight and lifestyle. This is a link I have found helpfull on my journey http://www.epi4dogs.com/

Oh that's very sad for you both. What sort of dog do you have?

EPI is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency basically the pancrease stops functioning and enzymes are needed for life to help the body process the goodness in foods but I am a learner to all this but that seems the basis of it. There are many other things that also help along the way eg B12 shots weekly diet antibiotics for the secondary condition of EPI which is SIBO the story goes on and on and the bills and products. Basically its a long hall of trial and era it seems but they tell me once the condition is stable which could take months the dogs can return to a healthy weight and lifestyle. This is a link I have found helpfull on my journey http://www.epi4dogs.com/

I ow two Rough Collies a female who is 3 yrs old and a Male who has the EPI and is two yrs old.

The male is in forground

post-34969-1275613858_thumb.jpg

Edited by leepy

I ow two Rough Collies a female who is 3 yrs old and a Male who has the EPI and is two yrs old.

The male is in forground

They are beautiful :confused:

Changes to farming practices will have affected the meat that is used in kibble as much as it has affected human grade meat, so I'm not sure how this is relevant to your opinion of a raw diet? In your mind and mine, the best diet is still going to be raw.

Because it makes me question whether it is as good as I think. Particularly when references back the 'natural' diet of wild canines is used to justify such a diet. Eg the 'feed your dog like a wolf' type arguments - not only are dogs not wolves in terms of nutritional needs, farmed meat isn't equivalent to wild prey meat either. I don't advocate a purely kibble diet, unless medically advised, but with a number of parameters changed/changing and some in ways most people aren't aware of maybe including a premium kibble along with raw is an optimum choice for many households. Not for mine necessarily, because I'm a dog nut willing to put in extra effort, but for many. I also posted those comments because I was hoping it might draw out some better, referenced, information on that issue.

Edited for typos

Edited by Diva

My tib girl came to me, as an adult. Her breeder cautioned me that she had a marked tendency to get yeast infections in her ears. Our good vet cleaned out her ears, while she was being desexed.

Then the vet advised a diet which would stop the trouble at its source. Grains (especially wheat-based, but not rice) were to be out. Wherever they were....i dog biscuits, treats, kibble, dog sausage etc. The vet pointed out that many of these were actually mainly cereal. Beef totally out, too. Vet warned that many dog products listed as 'chicken' etc....actually said in the ingredients they were made with meat products, including beef.

Vet advised the tib be fed with Advance Turkey & Rice kibble for Small Breeds.

Ingredients

Rice; sorghum; turkey and turkey by-products; chicken digest; vegetable oil; vegetable fi bre; chicken tallow; iodised salt; potassium chloride; di-calcium phosphate; taurine; vitamin E; zinc sulphate; antioxidants; choline chloride; vitamin C; lucerne meal; marigold meal; tomato powder; ferrous sulphate (iron); copper sulphate; vitamin A; calcium pantothenate; sodium selenite; vitamin B2; potassium iodide; vitamin B12; vitamin B1; niacin; vitamin D3; vitamin B6; folic acid.

Supplemented with some chicken, chicken necks....& only treats, pork liver treats.

With all cereals (except the rice in this kibble) & all beef cut out, I've been amazed at the reduction in any yeast infections in her ears.

It's conivinced me that dietary guidelines wisely shaped to an individual dog can work wonders...when done with knowledge & applied faithfully.

... not only are dogs not wolves in terms of nutritional needs...

What are the different nutritional needs of an adult wolf by comparison to the nutritional needs of an adult domesticated dog?

My tib girl came to me, as an adult. Her breeder cautioned me that she had a marked tendency to get yeast infections in her ears. Our good vet cleaned out her ears, while she was being desexed.

Then the vet advised a diet which would stop the trouble at its source. Grains (especially wheat-based, but not rice) were to be out. Wherever they were....i dog biscuits, treats, kibble, dog sausage etc. The vet pointed out that many of these were actually mainly cereal. Beef totally out, too. Vet warned that many dog products listed as 'chicken' etc....actually said in the ingredients they were made with meat products, including beef.

Vet advised the tib be fed with Advance Turkey & Rice kibble for Small Breeds.

Ingredients

Rice; sorghum; turkey and turkey by-products; chicken digest; vegetable oil; vegetable fi bre; chicken tallow; iodised salt; potassium chloride; di-calcium phosphate; taurine; vitamin E; zinc sulphate; antioxidants; choline chloride; vitamin C; lucerne meal; marigold meal; tomato powder; ferrous sulphate (iron); copper sulphate; vitamin A; calcium pantothenate; sodium selenite; vitamin B2; potassium iodide; vitamin B12; vitamin B1; niacin; vitamin D3; vitamin B6; folic acid.

Supplemented with some chicken, chicken necks....& only treats, pork liver treats.

With all cereals (except the rice in this kibble) & all beef cut out, I've been amazed at the reduction in any yeast infections in her ears.

It's conivinced me that dietary guidelines wisely shaped to an individual dog can work wonders...when done with knowledge & applied faithfully.

I wish more vets recognised the role of grain based foods in yeast ear infections! Most just continue to treat without changing the diet.

I have a bitch whose ears get a bit stinky if she has more than a few days of dry food. We've never had an infection but I suspect that is because we maintain a raw diet 99% of the time.

I wish more vets recognised the role of grain based foods in yeast ear infections! Most just continue to treat without changing the diet.

I have a bitch whose ears get a bit stinky if she has more than a few days of dry food. We've never had an infection but I suspect that is because we maintain a raw diet 99% of the time.

I agree.

Our vet describes herself as a holistic vet. She's as good & experienced at the medical/surgery side, as she is at supplements & diet.

The tibs are so healthy, thanks to her.

I've learned, too, how deceptive the labelling of many of the dog products are. It's so important....& revealing...to read the actual ingredients.

Sorry to hear about your boy. We've had clients who've had success with Enzyplex combined with an easy to digest diet. Feeding raw pancreas can also help but needs to be fed with each meal.

Goodluck to you and your boy and I hope you get some improvement soon!

I agree.

Our vet describes herself as a holistic vet. She's as good & experienced at the medical/surgery side, as she is at supplements & diet.

I've learned, too, how deceptive the labelling of many of the dog products are. It's so important....& revealing...to read the actual ingredients.

I have an article somewhere at home that goes into detail about the labelling issues with pet food. I was really shocked to read some of it. I will see if I can locate it and post it online.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your boy. We've had clients who've had success with Enzyplex combined with an easy to digest diet. Feeding raw pancreas can also help but needs to be fed with each meal.

Goodluck to you and your boy and I hope you get some improvement soon!

Hi all, good to know things that work for some but a quick note on EPI and enzymes - Enzyplex is a plant-based enzyme that should be used as a supplement only. Apart from benefitting from a grain-free diet EPI dogs need porcine (pig) enzymes with every meal in order to digest nutrients. The only source of pig pancreas in Australia is Creon, an enzyme replacement made for humans and available at places like Chemist Warehouse. Luckily it works.

For anyone who suspects their dog has EPI or has been diagnosed with same please visit the website http://www.epi4dogs.com/ as mentioned earlier for comprehensive help with this complex condition.

All the best with your pups!

Edited by Lulupants

Why can't people just decide what they want to feed their dogs and be happy with that.

I don't see the need for the aggro that this subject always brings up.

I love hearing about what other people are doing and the information being shared (it's all pretty high quality) so I can make up my own mind about what I want to feed my dogs - it really makes it difficult when all that information is lost in a load of diatribe between people getting personal and offensive about it.

I think that everyone has a point with what they're saying and it's up to each individual to decide what they want to do for their dog/s - let's just leave it at that - please just give us the facts and information as they are minus the opinions and bitching.

Why can't people just decide what they want to feed their dogs and be happy with that.

I don't see the need for the aggro that this subject always brings up.

I love hearing about what other people are doing and the information being shared (it's all pretty high quality) so I can make up my own mind about what I want to feed my dogs - it really makes it difficult when all that information is lost in a load of diatribe between people getting personal and offensive about it.

I think that everyone has a point with what they're saying and it's up to each individual to decide what they want to do for their dog/s - let's just leave it at that - please just give us the facts and information as they are minus the opinions and bitching.

I agree totally. Very well sad. :laugh:

Not only about what you feed your dogs, but also what type of dog you choose, purebred, crossbred, pedigree whatever or which ever. I wish people would just respect other people opinions or choices and leave it at that.

Great post you made :p

• 4 weeks later...
So is anyone using Canidae yet? any reviews would be good.

I have not long changed my 19week old puppy from EP to Canidae. He has nearly finished his first 2kg bag, and have just had a delivery of the 13.6kg bag yesterday. I buy the Grain Free Salmon one, my boy loves it, it's nice and oily, smells great. Stools good. But it's a little too early yet to see if it improves his skin. (his is only a puppy and has always had very dry, itchy, flakey skin). But it has the best Omega Oil levels out of ALL kibbles I have researched. Oh and you have to feed less than other Premium Kibbles I have tried.

Edited by meluchja

• 11 months later...

Is this product made in Australia (website doesn't mention that anywhere) if not, what about the irradiation of the product on entry?

I am a BARF feeder and could never imagine feeding my dog a processed dry food, even one that describes itself as being "holistic"

Quote from PSA-

Skin complaints, UTI's, Joint issues etc etc are ailments this food is meant to be very helpful with, plus loaded with High quality, All natural Holistic ingredients

-end quote

I have had sucess in helping all the above from simply feeding a well balanced BARF diet, at least I know what is in my BARF diet :)

IMO a well planned BARF diet is easier than feeding processed pet poison.

I too feed my two terriers the BARF diet. But I alternate between BARF and Artemis Maximal grain free kibble due to this being more economical. Plus they get raw meaty bones every night. BARF patties are like $2 a patty. To feed this full time is not cheap. I could compile my own BARF diet for my dogs but I don't have the time.

I know by now you probably already know, Canidae kibbles are made in the USA by Diamond Pet. As are the Artemis range of kibbles. But they are NOT GAMMA IRRADIATED on import into this country, because they meet AQIS's minimum cooking temperature requirement at 100 degrees. With added probiotics, mineral chelation and named meat meals etc these kibbles still contain some health benefits and retained main nutrients and are definitely better than the mainstream grain riddled kibbles.

I agree.

I have an article somewhere at home that goes into detail about the labelling issues with pet food. I was really shocked to read some of it. I will see if I can locate it and post it online.

Dogs are simply not meant to eat grains, whether as fillers and binders in any kibble or from any source at all. I'm not surprised about the above person's dog's ear yeast infection was caused by grains. All sorts of problems can occur from long term grain based dog diets, including shorter life span in my opinion.

Unlike us, dogs don't have amylase (a certain enzyme) in their saliva, which would start breaking grains or any starchy carbohydrates, down before even entering their stomach. Dogs contain amylase in their small intestine, which accompanied with the fact that the dog's digestive tract is much shorter than ours, makes grains that much harder for them to actually digest grains properly.

I always have two cautions in the back of mind when I wonder if a raw/barf /prey model is absolutely the best food for my dogs in this day and age.

The first is that the nutritional quality of the human grade meat I buy has itself changed with farming methods- for example, I have read reports from human nutritionalists on how much less iron is in a chicken drumstick from the meat birds bred today than even 25 years ago, and the lesser amount of that nutrient today in the same quantity of chicken was staggering. I have also read that the nutritional analysis of a grain feed animal isn't the same as in a grass fed animal - the amount and proportion of different types of fat is different for one thing. Not as much of an issue here as in the USA but a lot of our meat animals even here are finished off on grain.

The second thing that sticks in my mind is the anecdotal stories from people with breeds similiar to mine, and these are relatively old breeds, that their traditional diets were nowhere near as rich in fat and protein, and that nutritionally dense 'western' diets are not good for these breeds. It's just anecdotal but it kind of correlates with the article stormie posted.

It reminds me not to get too precious in recommending a prey model diet - which is what I mostly feed - as if it were a perfect answer.

Changes to farming practices will have affected the meat that is used in kibble as much as it has affected human grade meat, so I'm not sure how this is relevant to your opinion of a raw diet? In your mind and mine, the best diet is still going to be raw.

True - raw diets are still the best to feed out beloved dogs, despite the progression of grain fed meats over grass fed same. I feed my dogs part time BARF and wonder what Dr. Billinghurst (considering he also has a bachelor degree in agriculture as well as veterinary science) uses in his BARF formulas regarding this point. I might ask him, but I think grain fed meats are still more prevalent in the USA than it is here. Grain fed meats are just a way of fattening such meats up, for the sake of the meat industry's bottom dollar. Anyway, the following is an interesting link regarding points about grass fed meats vs grain fed ones, that I read or got from another forum. http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/id77.htm

Because it makes me question whether it is as good as I think. Particularly when references back the 'natural' diet of wild canines is used to justify such a diet. Eg the 'feed your dog like a wolf' type arguments - not only are dogs not wolves in terms of nutritional needs, farmed meat isn't equivalent to wild prey meat either. I don't advocate a purely kibble diet, unless medically advised, but with a number of parameters changed/changing and some in ways most people aren't aware of maybe including a premium kibble along with raw is an optimum choice for many households. Not for mine necessarily, because I'm a dog nut willing to put in extra effort, but for many. I also posted those comments because I was hoping it might draw out some better, referenced, information on that issue.

Edited for typos

I know I'm way late on this conversation as I'm new to this forum, but Diva, I disagree with your comment "not only are dogs not wolves in terms of nutritional needs", because I've read the contrary. Basically, the domestic dog has exactly the same nutritional requirements as the ancestral wolf, because they share 99.8% in Mitochondrial DNA. And that make a lot of sense! Even a class 1 toy type dog has exactly the same nutritional requirement as a wild wolf numerous times its size. I read that Nuclear DNA differs to Mitochondrial DNA and is what causes the differences in shape, size, and behaviour than that of the wild wolf, as an example on the subject of Nuclear DNA. So basically there's 2 different types of DNA in every life form.