Calcium Powder Supplement?

Hi,

Poor Sally has had trouble with her paws (limping) after too much rough play :) . Vet has said since she is a rescue Pup, and her Mum was in poor condition, that she didn't get enough nutrients in the womb.

He prescribed anti-inflams which worked well, but for the long term said to get the best (Science Diet) dry food Pup type as for the added mineral etc, as she is prob low in calcium. I am also adding Omega 3 to her food.

Trouble is, she is not very food focused, and I have to mix the dry with mostly pup mince. I can only get her to eat 1 meal (or 2 tiny ones) per day. The vet said 3 times per day dry. She really won't touch the dry on it's own, would prefer dirt!

Just wanting to get the best for her. Someone suggested Calcium powder to sprinkle on food. Is this OK?

We also give her raw bones (chicken and beef).

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

Eagle Pack Regular and Holistic.

Pro Plan Selects..... my guys LOVED this stuff, but we can't buy it here.

Nutrience.

Royal Canin.

A small trick for a dog that doesn't like kibble on it's own, try adding a couple of mashed sardines and mix them through.

I would be wary of adding calcium to your dogs diet. Maybe investigate feeding raw...some good threads here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=196480

Hi,

Poor Sally has had trouble with her paws (limping) after too much rough play :) . Vet has said since she is a rescue Pup, and her Mum was in poor condition, that she didn't get enough nutrients in the womb.

He prescribed anti-inflams which worked well, but for the long term said to get the best (Science Diet) dry food Pup type as for the added mineral etc, as she is prob low in calcium. I am also adding Omega 3 to her food.

Trouble is, she is not very food focused, and I have to mix the dry with mostly pup mince. I can only get her to eat 1 meal (or 2 tiny ones) per day. The vet said 3 times per day dry. She really won't touch the dry on it's own, would prefer dirt!

Just wanting to get the best for her. Someone suggested Calcium powder to sprinkle on food. Is this OK?

We also give her raw bones (chicken and beef).

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

Nutrience.

Royal Canin.

A small trick for a dog that doesn't like kibble on it's own, try adding a couple of mashed sardines and mix them through.

Gee thanks for that.

I also posted same q in Nutrition section as I did in this one by mistake!

I might try to get the Pro Plan if its a winner taste wise. Do you know if I can get it in NSW (Newcastle?)

If you want to find something she likes perhaps you could try ordering a few sample packs of different brands? As others already have said I would be wary of adding calcium powder to her food unless you are sure that she has a calcium deficiency. You can improve the palitability of dry food by mixing in a small amount of natural yogurt, sardines, eggs or raw mince with the food depending on what she likes. Otherwise if she is keen on raw meaty bones then perhaps you could look into a barf or prey diet as an alternative to dry.

I've never fed Science diet to my dog but I did (on vets advice) try it for my cat. He wouldn't have a bar of it! We changed to Nutrience and haven't had a problem since. Not only does he love it but his health has improved dramatically :thumbsup:

If you want to find something she likes perhaps you could try ordering a few sample packs of different brands? As others already have said I would be wary of adding calcium powder to her food unless you are sure that she has a calcium deficiency. You can improve the palitability of dry food by mixing in a small amount of natural yogurt, sardines, eggs or raw mince with the food depending on what she likes. Otherwise if she is keen on raw meaty bones then perhaps you could look into a barf or prey diet as an alternative to dry.

I've never fed Science diet to my dog but I did (on vets advice) try it for my cat. He wouldn't have a bar of it! We changed to Nutrience and haven't had a problem since. Not only does he love it but his health has improved dramatically :thumbsup:

Hey thanks.,

Might try Nutrience.

I am thinking that the Prey Diet is not just raw meat and bones, as we were feeding her alot of that already.

Will steer clear of the Calcium (not a vet that suggested it)

My boy came to me on Nutrience and if I was going ever to use dry again I would probably go back to it (or perhaps Royal Canin as an alternative). It's a great food though :thumbsup:

I can't really elaborate on the Prey model diet (I feed a raw/barf style diet to my dog) but if she enjoys her meat/bones it may be something to look into.

Just a thought, if you are already feeding her plenty of meat/bones then perhaps she is just not hungry enough to eat the dry? However dry food is pretty bland in comparison to meat too!

My boy came to me on Nutrience and if I was going ever to use dry again I would probably go back to it (or perhaps Royal Canin as an alternative). It's a great food though :)

I can't really elaborate on the Prey model diet (I feed a raw/barf style diet to my dog) but if she enjoys her meat/bones it may be something to look into.

Just a thought, if you are already feeding her plenty of meat/bones then perhaps she is just not hungry enough to eat the dry? However dry food is pretty bland in comparison to meat too!

Well we were feeding her some cheaper pup dry mixed with pup mince which she eats (because of the meat!) and usually chicken joints and meat bones every other day. When we had the joint prob and went to see the vet, he said she needs the good quality dry 3X day to get the nutrients (plus Omega3).

It's just that I struggle to get that much to her (especially mixing it with the pup mince). She hasn't had many raw bones since the vet visit due to the fact that she will eat these and not her dry/meat as well (even if 12 hrs apart). She's pretty smart, I think she hangs out for something tastier! :)

I really raised the Calcium Supp issue, as i thought I might be able to put it on the raw bones/meat that she loves!

Anyway, I will give your dry suggestions a go . Fingers Crossed! ;)

P.S. This is a dog who won't even try schmako's, scooby snacks, and runs away and buries the pigs ears instead of eating them! BUT she tries to eat duck poo!!! (A puppy thing I am told)

Royal Canin Sensible for small breeds is made for fussy eaters. Our Tibbie was very fussy with dry food and Royal Canin was the only one that he will eat mixed with some yogurt and sometimes, steamed chicken.

Well we were feeding her some cheaper pup dry mixed with pup mince which she eats (because of the meat!) and usually chicken joints and meat bones every other day. When we had the joint prob and went to see the vet, he said she needs the good quality dry 3X day to get the nutrients (plus Omega3).

It's just that I struggle to get that much to her (especially mixing it with the pup mince). She hasn't had many raw bones since the vet visit due to the fact that she will eat these and not her dry/meat as well (even if 12 hrs apart). She's pretty smart, I think she hangs out for something tastier! :)

I really raised the Calcium Supp issue, as i thought I might be able to put it on the raw bones/meat that she loves!

P.S. This is a dog who won't even try schmako's, scooby snacks, and runs away and buries the pigs ears instead of eating them! BUT she tries to eat duck poo!!! (A puppy thing I am told)

What kind of pup mince were you feeding? If it was just ground chicken carcus (with the bone included) then apart from perhaps upping her diet to a premium dry as opposed to a cheap one what you were feeding doesn't sound all that bad.

Raw meaty bones and pet mince (ground carcus) are actually quite good for dogs, the bone contains calcium and other essential nutrients as does the meat. Get your hands on some of the Ian Billinhurst books if you are interested in learning a bit more about that.

If you'd like to odd omega oil to your girls food you can try either flaxseed oil, fish oil (capsules from the chemist) or an omega pet oil (we use the Melrose brand Omega Pet Oil) and just mix it in with her meals :)

ETA, forgot to ask - are you adding any joint supplements to her diet? Such as Joint Guard or Sashas Blend? If not you might like to consider that also.

Edited by SecretKei

What kind of pup mince were you feeding? If it was just ground chicken carcus (with the bone included) then apart from perhaps upping her diet to a premium dry as opposed to a cheap one what you were feeding doesn't sound all that bad.

Raw meaty bones and pet mince (ground carcus) are actually quite good for dogs, the bone contains calcium and other essential nutrients as does the meat. Get your hands on some of the Ian Billinhurst books if you are interested in learning a bit more about that.

If you'd like to odd omega oil to your girls food you can try either flaxseed oil, fish oil (capsules from the chemist) or an omega pet oil (we use the Melrose brand Omega Pet Oil) and just mix it in with her meals :)

ETA, forgot to ask - are you adding any joint supplements to her diet? Such as Joint Guard or Sashas Blend? If not you might like to consider that also.

Oh, the pup mince is a meaty one from the Pet Stock fridge. (Kangaroo a main ingredient I think) It is labelled for Puppies.

No supplements given (yet!) As only a pup, I thought those Joint Tabs for arthritic dogs??

Any success with those?

Sasha's blend, Joint guard is good for any dog...can be used as a preventative....especially if you intend to do dog sports. Pet meat is fine but you must give them raw meaty bones as well to provide the calcium and other goodies only found in bone. Clare Middle West Australian Vet also has a raw diet book which is worth reading.

Oh, the pup mince is a meaty one from the Pet Stock fridge. (Kangaroo a main ingredient I think) It is labelled for Puppies.

No supplements given (yet!) As only a pup, I thought those Joint Tabs for arthritic dogs??

Any success with those?

Yep, what bedazzledx2 said. Sashas blend is great stuff :cry: HOwever if your dog doesn't like 'fishy' things then go for Joint Guard instead (SB stinks to high heaven but most dogs love it). Personally I tend to steer away from anything labelled as 'pet mince' as it's often full of additives (particularly the stuff you get from the supermarket). You can get fresh minced chicken carcus from Leonards or your local butcher, some butchers will even do up a special 'pet' mix with whatever you like in it. Roo meat/bones is great if you can get it fresh too! Nice and lean :thumbsup:

When Charlie got sick, he was put on a high Calcium diet.. and we were told NOT to use Calcium Powder Supplement. Especially for puppies... they don't help.

We changed Charlie's diet to BARF (we sprinkle crush egg shells on top), he gets a chicken wing every day...

With dry food... make games out of it. With Charlie, we played "Search"... hid food around the place, and make him search for it. We put dry food in socks and tie it and play fetch with it.. they get to chew on the sock, and then I open the sock and he would eat it when it's wet and mushy.

With Hill Diets.. sometimes the dogs don't like the smell of it. Charlie would only eat that if we aired the dog food out for a day and we fed him and he will eat it all up.

The general view is that there are better foods out there than Hills. Mind you, vets dont' sell them. :eek:

I think a diet high in raw meaty EDIBLE bone (suggest chicken wings) would assist, particularly if she likes them. Mind you, at 8 months she's done most of her height growth.

I would be careful over exercising this girl. If she's not desexed, I'd not be rushing it - give her more chance to build bone density.

BTW most dogs love eating poo.. .and don't grow out of it. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Nutrience.

Royal Canin.

Gee thanks for that.

I also posted same q in Nutrition section as I did in this one by mistake!

I might try to get the Pro Plan if its a winner taste wise. Do you know if I can get it in NSW (Newcastle?)

Pet Parn should have it and there are i think 2 stores in the Newcastle area.

Try Advance too