Why Do People Cross Breed ?

Shmurps

Apart from Labradoodles, spoodles etc.. Why do people feel the need to cross breed?

I find it disturbing to see strange mixes which are done on purpose, eg Roti x poodle, pug x cav etc, etc :laugh:

And why did they start crossing maltese with shih tzu ? :D :D

(I should add, I know the reasons why they cross labs with poodles, don't agree with it.)

Forgive me if I word things badly.

Edited by Shmurps

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't people cool with the doberman which is a relatively recent cross-breed in the scheme of things? It's popular even though it frequently has a lot of health difficulties?

I'm not sure I really understand the problem with cross-breeding. People say that designer dogs or trendy cross-breeds are bad because they're for financial gain but one might say that even breeders of pure bred dogs are in it for financial reasons as well as the love of the breed - otherwise they'd give their dogs away for free or just charge for costs incurred etc ...

I'd only see a problem with cross-breeding if they were deliberately making a dog that was going to have a lot of health problems.

That being said, my own beloved puppy is a mongrel (kelpie/border collie) and actually - so am I! :laugh: My own puppy seemed to come from a happy home - his parents didn't seem to be exploited or mistreated.

Edited by koalathebear

There are no laws against cross breeding and the way ANKC registrations are falling there are not enough ANKC registered pups being born to meet the demand for pups, even allowing for the number of dogs PTS each year in pounds etc. (dons my flame suit).

The crime isn't the cross breeding but the way the pups and bitches are kept and raised, the disregard for genetic problems and the lack breeder support for the pups.

I'm not sure I really understand the problem with cross-breeding. People say that designer dogs or trendy cross-breeds are bad because they're for financial gain but one might say that even breeders of pure bred dogs are in it for financial reasons as well as the love of the breed - otherwise they'd give their dogs away for free or just charge for costs incurred etc ...

I have a friend who did give all of a litter away except for on she sold for a pittance, not because she didn't have buyers for the pupos but because they were the right homes where the pups would realise their potential.

We don't have a REAL education program in Australia to educate people. And there are still vets out there that do not push desexing enough for cross breed dogs and even pets.

$4millon was raised by Pedigree to help with the adoption program, none of that is going towards a education program.

The RSPCA should also be running a desexing program... they make a BUCKET load of money a year.

I have a friend who did give all of a litter away except for on she sold for a pittance, not because she didn't have buyers for the pupos but because they were the right homes where the pups would realise their potential.

That's very rare, though! Generally pedigree doggies are pretty expensive! We got our little mongrel for free but a pure bred kelpie can go for as much as $6,000.

Also, I did want to reiterate that I have absolutely no problem with pedigree breeders charging money for their puppies - a lot of time, effort and money went into those puppies. I just think it's a little odd that one of the primary condemnations of designer dog breeders is that they do it for financial gain. Don't most people work for financial gain with job satisfaction being a side benefit? :D

In any case, much as I love the look of the pure breed doggies (I would love to have a shiba inu!), I can't imagine ever spending so much money on buying a pedigree dog when there are so many other less fortunate dogs in need of a home. It's not that we're stingy either ... even raising a mongrel puppy becomes very expensive after all the vaccinations, desexing, puppy classes, obedience ... and the squillions and squillions of treats and dog toys :laugh:

[Ooops - I just re-noticed that I'm on Dogs Online - Australia's PURE BRED dog community. *slinks away sheepishly into the mongrelly shadows* :D ]

Edited by koalathebear

We don't have a REAL education program in Australia to educate people. And there are still vets out there that do not push desexing enough for cross breed dogs and even pets.

$4millon was raised by Pedigree to help with the adoption program, none of that is going towards a education program.

The RSPCA should also be running a desexing program... they make a BUCKET load of money a year.

All for education..but if people have it in their heads to breed then they're not going to desex. If you cannot afford to have a dog desexed then you shouldn't own a dog. In the scheme of things desexing isn't a huge expense.

Guest belgian.blue

Because puppies are REALLY cute until they are about eight weeks old? And dogs are easily bred?

All for education..but if people have it in their heads to breed then they're not going to desex. If you cannot afford to have a dog desexed then you shouldn't own a dog. In the scheme of things desexing isn't a huge expense.

So you are telling me that a 70 year old lady that can not afford to desex her dog that she has because there is no one else around can not own a dog because she can not afford to desex because she is on a pension?

Desexing is a huge expense in the year 2010, over $200 for the average dog/bitch. That is someone's shopping for the week, rent, petrol, bills.... My house payments have gone up by $500 a month in 5 months.

Now explain to me why someone that can not afford to desex their animal shouldn't own a dog?

That's very rare, though! Generally pedigree doggies are pretty expensive! We got our little mongrel for free but a pure bred kelpie can go for as much as $6,000.

A pure bred kelpie for that money would probably be a well bred working dog who has been started (already had it basic training) and showing a lot of potential or a proven working dog and worth that money to a farmer. Not the dog you would want as a pet.

When you take into account the cost of breeding breeders are lucky to make money, 1 pup for the sevice fee, 1 pup for feeding, worming etc (including feeding the bitch during pregnancy etc), at least 1 pup for vaccinations, vet bills, health tests etc and 1 pup to keep. That is if nothing goes wrong like a caesar.

I guess I'm looking at the big picture. If someone can afford to pay top dollar for a mix breed from a pet shop then they should be able to afford the procedure. If taking on the responsibility of pet ownership it comes with expenses which should be taken into account.

However the elderly person should be entitled to a discount for sure.

Also, I did want to reiterate that I have absolutely no problem with pedigree breeders charging money for their puppies - a lot of time, effort and money went into those puppies. I just think it's a little odd that one of the primary condemnations of designer dog breeders is that they do it for financial gain. Don't most people work for financial gain with job satisfaction being a side benefit? :D

In any case, much as I love the look of the pure breed doggies (I would love to have a shiba inu!), I can't imagine ever spending so much money on buying a pedigree dog when there are so many other less fortunate dogs in need of a home. It's not that we're stingy either ... even raising a mongrel puppy becomes very expensive after all the vaccinations, desexing, puppy classes, obedience ... and the squillions and squillions of treats and dog toys :(

[Ooops - I just re-noticed that I'm on Dogs Online - Australia's PURE BRED dog community. *slinks away sheepishly into the mongrelly shadows* :D ]

$6,000 are you serious? I can't see how any breeder can justify that kind of money for an 8 week old pup?

So you are telling me that a 70 year old lady that can not afford to desex her dog that she has because there is no one else around can not own a dog because she can not afford to desex because she is on a pension?

Desexing is a huge expense in the year 2010, over $200 for the average dog/bitch. That is someone's shopping for the week, rent, petrol, bills.... My house payments have gone up by $500 a month in 5 months.

Now explain to me why someone that can not afford to desex their animal shouldn't own a dog?

Because it is irresponsible to own a dog if you can't afford the costs involved.

A pure bred kelpie for that money would probably be a well bred working dog who has been started (already had it basic training) and showing a lot of potential or a proven working dog and worth that money to a farmer. Not the dog you would want as a pet.

When you take into account the cost of breeding breeders are lucky to make money, 1 pup for the sevice fee, 1 pup for feeding, worming etc (including feeding the bitch during pregnancy etc), at least 1 pup for vaccinations, vet bills, health tests etc and 1 pup to keep. That is if nothing goes wrong like a caesar.

So what about when there are more than 4 pups in the litter?

Because it is irresponsible to own a dog if you can't afford the costs involved.

Is it better for a dog to go to a person who doesn't have much money but will give the dog a life of love, keep it inside with them as part of the family and never dump the dog, or go to a rich person who leaves the dog outside in a kennel with no bedding, no attention and no love?

So you are saying don't let the poor own animals? They are probably more responsible than any BYB or puppy farmer out there and also give their animals LOVE!