Denmark To Ban 13 Breeds

Dogsfevr

Sigh...

The Ovtcharkas and Kangals now?? So we're moving now from the breeds that have a reputation for being of fighting anscestry into the mountain types? What's next? Bernese? St Bernards?

Then which Group do they start on next...?

edit - sorry, it's late and I can't spell

The Ovtcharkas (which quite a few fall under this breed) are known for their very aggressive nature. I've seen footage of these dogs and not only can they aggressive (towards humans as well as other dogs), but the sheer size of them can well be a recipe for disaster. They must have some stats in their country for this ban.

The Boerbel another interesting one. Several of my South African friends (who are dog lovers and owners) cannot believe they are allowed in this country - they have said that time and time again this breed makes the front page and TV news because they have attacked people, and usually members of their own family (of course that doesn't mean all will by any means), but just shows that these large powerful breeds in the wrong hands can be a disaster.

What we don't want here are the irresponsible dog owners picking these breeds. I'm all for responsible dog owners having these breeds.

Hmmmm.......not much else to say really other than my experience with Boerboels is the complete opposite. Again, why we are extremely selective on who owns this breed. Why we continue with the appraisal system of which the largest scores pertain to temprement then health. Why, if the dog doesn't pass its appraisal, won't be elegible for registration. Still doesn't mean your BYB can't go out and breed, but we are doing the best we can. Of all the owners and breeders that i've had dealings with in this country, all has been positive.

My experince with them is that they are very protective of their owners. They have great working abilities that are lost in most mastiff breeds, especially in Australia. They are large powerful and athletic for their size. They aren't pussy cats. I think the breeders are doing a great job, not peddaling them out.

Yup...you've hit it on the head. They are protective of their owners, but, not excessively and not without reason. Unfortunately our beautifual Cruz passed away on the 29th March this year (we are still devestated and aren't ready to talk about it yet), but I can say that not only did he assume to be our protectors but also our extended family and friends. The children that he grew up with were his responsibility aslo. He never forgot anyone and was a gentle giant to all of 'his' people...all 68kg of him.

I have a wonderful bitch here at the moment who i've yet to introduce to everyone here, but I can say that she is an absolute magnificent specimen. The most extraordinary temprement, superb confirmation and my vet Karen Hedberg says the best hips and elbows that she has ever seen the breed here. But....I still can't (or won't) breed with her because we are waiting for representatives from South Africa to come out and appraise our dogs. This is the commitment that we've made to owning this breed and in protecting the integrity of it. Using healthy, sound, stable, solid tempremented stock & screening (even scrutinizing) prospective owners is something that we take very seriously. All we can do is our bit and hope that the dogs good reputation is Australia continues.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken, but explain then why these registered breeders state on their own websites about the history and their own dogs that aggression towards humans and other animals (other than their own family) is commonplace and is part of their characteristics? (Similar to those that say an APBT has gameness). That they must have strong (not necessarily physically) owners, they are not for everyone and only certain people should be keeping them.

Also, there could be a lawsuit (and there was from memory some years back now but not in Vic about a trespasser but he was illiterate and couldn't read the signs and ended up in an accident (it wasn't a dog attack).

I wonder why the Danish govt has banned them?

Politicians ban breeds because they are ignorant to what really causes dog attacks, they want to be seen to be doing something about it to their constituents because they are too lazy to do the hard yards and fix social issues and bring about proper change in animal ownership.

If only all websites read these dogs are only suitable for committed, strong dog owners, as all breeds need the same attention, but rarely does it happen.

Having gameness isn't a problem, having people with a "don't care attitude" is.

Yes I agree with you Geo.

Sigh...

The Ovtcharkas and Kangals now?? So we're moving now from the breeds that have a reputation for being of fighting anscestry into the mountain types? What's next? Bernese? St Bernards?

The Ovtcharkas (which quite a few fall under this breed) are known for their very aggressive nature. I've seen footage of these dogs and not only can they aggressive (towards humans as well as other dogs), but the sheer size of them can well be a recipe for disaster. They must have some stats in their country for this ban.

The Boerbel another interesting one. Several of my South African friends (who are dog lovers and owners) cannot believe they are allowed in this country - they have said that time and time again this breed makes the front page and TV news because they have attacked people, and usually members of their own family (of course that doesn't mean all will by any means), but just shows that these large powerful breeds in the wrong hands can be a disaster.

What we don't want here are the irresponsible dog owners picking these breeds. I'm all for responsible dog owners having these breeds.

Hmmmm.......not much else to say really other than my experience with Boerboels is the complete opposite. Again, why we are extremely selective on who owns this breed. Why we continue with the appraisal system of which the largest scores pertain to temprement then health. Why, if the dog doesn't pass its appraisal, won't be elegible for registration. Still doesn't mean your BYB can't go out and breed, but we are doing the best we can. Of all the owners and breeders that i've had dealings with in this country, all has been positive.

My experince with them is that they are very protective of their owners. They have great working abilities that are lost in most mastiff breeds, especially in Australia. They are large powerful and athletic for their size. They aren't pussy cats. I think the breeders are doing a great job, not peddaling them out.

Yup...you've hit it on the head. They are protective of their owners, but, not excessively and not without reason. Unfortunately our beautifual Cruz passed away on the 29th March this year (we are still devestated and aren't ready to talk about it yet), but I can say that not only did he assume to be our protectors but also our extended family and friends. The children that he grew up with were his responsibility aslo. He never forgot anyone and was a gentle giant to all of 'his' people...all 68kg of him.

I have a wonderful bitch here at the moment who i've yet to introduce to everyone here, but I can say that she is an absolute magnificent specimen. The most extraordinary temprement, superb confirmation and my vet Karen Hedberg says the best hips and elbows that she has ever seen the breed here. But....I still can't (or won't) breed with her because we are waiting for representatives from South Africa to come out and appraise our dogs. This is the commitment that we've made to owning this breed and in protecting the integrity of it. Using healthy, sound, stable, solid tempremented stock & screening (even scrutinizing) prospective owners is something that we take very seriously. All we can do is our bit and hope that the dogs good reputation is Australia continues.

Sorry to hear about your boy. What a great committed breeder you are - if only all dog owners were so passionate and dedicated. Great to hear that you scrutinize prospective owners too. I grew up with Great Danes and totally appreciate what it is like having an 80kg boy looking after the home (gentle, loving and loyal and sometimes the comedian!).

When you see the ads on places like gumtree.com.au and you know that many of these dogs have not had health checks, have not been bred responsibly, the owners are just in it for the money, it's just so wrong.

I hope you have continued success with your dogs.

Sigh...

Large powerful 'working' breeds are a disaster in the wrong hands.

In some parts of the world no-nonsense large powerful working breeds are required. I met someone from sth American and he told me that Cane corsos and Filas were the most popular guard dogs in his country, a place where they carry knives and guns around.

I can imagine is some countries around the world, you wouldn't want anything other than certain breeds by your side for protection and guarding. Thank God we live in Australia.