Name Some Dog Myths

And another aggression one, any dog with wrinkles on it's forehead will attack you.

Hmm, better tell boy Shar Pei that he's broken then. He wouldn't know how to attack anyone.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people find out I have a purebred entire dog: You know if you breed it you will make loads of money! :D

Yes, and we're all driving Jaguars and live in mansions or palaces (not). Then again, our vets and produce store owners usually are ;)

Edited by Wags

And another aggression one, any dog with wrinkles on it's forehead will attack you.

I wish I knew this one. I was lying on the floor yesterday, and my Dane came over to lick me, and her forehead wrinkled.

:)

If only I knew what she was thinking, which now I've read that, was obviously judging how weak I was, and how much effort it would take to attack and kill me in one fell swoop

:)

I should be safe if I buy a Maltidoodle, however. Everyone knows designer dogs have the aggression bred out of them :laugh:

Another bonding one, apparently if you blow up a puppy's nose it will bond with you really fast. My husband tried it once with a pup when we picked her up from the airport and until the day she died she absolutely hated anyone even breathing out near her.

Hah, that reminds me of a certain training establishment who claimed to stop unwanted behaviours by throwing a chain down next to the puppy. We went once to their puppy pre school and pulled out because my pup was so terrified. To the last he was scared of things being dropped on the ground near him.

You should let a bitch have her first litter and then desex her otherwise she will become fat/aggressive/stupid etc

Doncha just love this one :)

This is worse when you hear of a vet say it to a puppy buyer :)

Well actually it was "let her have a litter first because it will be good for her !!!!!!! At 8 months old :laugh:

Also have heard a vet say All GSD's will get HD because they are pure bred WHAT THE !!!!!

If the roof of a dogs mouth is black or has black markings means he/she is stupid.

I have heard that if the roof of the mouth is black it means they are a pure breed

Whohoo! My kelpie x border collie must be purebred :laugh:

and my puppy must want to bite me (or in his case lick me to death) because he has wrinkles..

Edited by Bundy's Mum

*looks over at riddicks crinkled brows..* Uhoh... :laugh:

considering Bert's wrinkles on his forehead are in the shape of the devil's pitchfork, I think I will sleep with one eye open tonight in case a frenzied pug decides tonight is the night for bloodshed...

Did you know that you can only train dogs in the language from the country they come from!!!

My previous kerry would sit to 'suigh síos, tú bastart', which is Irish for 'sit down, you bastard'.

:laugh: love it.

If a dogs eyes are blue they MUST be part Husky

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. :laugh:

Is an animal that seeks out, consumes and digests non-animal foods omnivorous? That would be my understanding.

Scientifically speaking, dogs are actually classified as "Carnivores", but there is a difference between dogs and cats. Cats are "Obligate Carnivores" which means their diet is explicitly made up of meat.

Dogs, however, do consume some plant material, therefore they are not "obligate" carnivores. But they do not consume enough to be classified as "Omnivores".

Confusing I know... :)

And the 'didn't you know a Staffordshire Bull Terrier's head cracks/splits when it matures' myth......

One I heard on an American dog site scared the hell outa me.

Apparently the Stafford's skull needs to "be" split.....eg, you split its skull yourself.....or it can die as the brain grows too large for the skull. :laugh:

God I hope no one took that on board and bopped their dog over the head! :)

And the 'didn't you know a Staffordshire Bull Terrier's head cracks/splits when it matures' myth......

Apparently the Stafford's skull needs to "be" split.....eg, you split its skull yourself.....or it can die as the brain grows too large for the skull. :laugh:

God I hope no one took that on board and bopped their dog over the head! :)

What What Whaaaat??? :)

Dogs, however, do consume some plant material, therefore they are not "obligate" carnivores. But they do not consume enough to be classified as "Omnivores".

Confusing I know... :)

Cool, now we know. It's good to get clarification on these matters.

Another bonding one, apparently if you blow up a puppy's nose it will bond with you really fast. My husband tried it once with a pup when we picked her up from the airport and until the day she died she absolutely hated anyone even breathing out near her.

Hah, that reminds me of a certain training establishment who claimed to stop unwanted behaviours by throwing a chain down next to the puppy. We went once to their puppy pre school and pulled out because my pup was so terrified. To the last he was scared of things being dropped on the ground near him.

Is this anything like the training group, rhymes with *ahem*clark..clusters..*cough*

*looks over at riddicks crinkled brows..* Uhoh... :(

considering Bert's wrinkles on his forehead are in the shape of the devil's pitchfork, I think I will sleep with one eye open tonight in case a frenzied pug decides tonight is the night for bloodshed...

But don't worry, just get him upside down and his eye's will just pop right out! :rofl:

Apparently the Stafford's skull needs to "be" split.....eg, you split its skull yourself.....or it can die as the brain grows too large for the skull. :(

God I hope no one took that on board and bopped their dog over the head! :p

WTF!!! :rofl: Where do myths like these come from! :p

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. :(

Is an animal that seeks out, consumes and digests non-animal foods omnivorous? That would be my understanding.

Scientifically speaking, dogs are actually classified as "Carnivores", but there is a difference between dogs and cats. Cats are "Obligate Carnivores" which means their diet is explicitly made up of meat.

Confusing I know... :rofl:

Thanks Danielle.

all dogs at the rescue / shelter / pound have something wrong with them or bad temperment. (it was never something wrong with their owner).

you can't get puppies at a shelter (you get them from a pet shop)

designer breeds have all the best qualities of their parents.

blue heelers are more aggressive than red heelers

Any dog with a "split" or groove on its head is part (or all) staffy

Any dog that can do frog legs must be part or all staffy

If you let your dog take a tug toy from you - you will lose alpha / leader status in that dog's eyes. (even if the dog brings it straight back?)

If you play tug with a dog - you encourage aggression and dominance behaviour in the dog.

check chain collars are good and training (front attach) harnesses are bad, a crutch for the handler - sadly the instructors in charge of my dog club believe this, I think it has something to do with competition obedience rules.

An older taller dog will not roll over for a shorter younger puppy.