Name Some Dog Myths

I think this is a great thread! Very entertaining and interesting. I dont have any to add though. Isn't there something about pugs and their eyes popping out?

no such thing as a "French Poodle"
What about poodles bred in France? :) Edited by cannibalgoldfish

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

I know someone who used to beat his dog after it escaped the yard through a broken gate, so it would cower when it returned from a visit to the neighbours French Poodle. I told him to fix his gate. His argument was that he didn't need to fix the gate because his dog "knew" it was wrong to leave the yard.

no such thing as a "French Poodle" :) Poodles are commonly held to have originated in Germany

French Poodles are the ones that walk around with their nose in the air, have pink fur and use a sexy French accent!

That alpha rolling or yelling at a dog that eventually comes back after you've been calling it for ages, will make it come back quicker next time.

That hitting a dog on the nose or with a rolled up newspaper will show it who is boss and make it behave better.

That rubbing a dog's nose in its poo or wee will make it stop pooing or weeing in that spot.

I think this is a great thread! Very entertaining and interesting. I dont have any to add though. Isn't there something about pugs and their eyes popping out?
What about poodles bred in France? :)

If you hold a pug upside down their eyes will pop out.

What about poodles bred in France? :rofl:

Oh - we SOOOO need a "razzberry" icon :)

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

I know someone who used to beat his dog after it escaped the yard through a broken gate, so it would cower when it returned from a visit to the neighbours French Poodle. I told him to fix his gate. His argument was that he didn't need to fix the gate because his dog "knew" it was wrong to leave the yard.

no such thing as a "French Poodle" :) Poodles are commonly held to have originated in Germany

French Poodles are the ones that walk around with their nose in the air, have pink fur and use a sexy French accent!

And say "Ooooh LaLa"?

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!

Myth: If a bitch is mated by a crossbreed she will always produce crossbreeds.

:laugh: Damn that magical crossbreed sperm, ruining purebred bitches all over the place.

I heard that from a rottie breeders son. Unsure if they were bybers

I think its funny how people assume my sbt my husbands. She mine. Then ignorant tell me never to trust her with the kids. (I allow her to live inside)

Edited by Luvmy4

Blue heelers get really angry when they are too old to work, then turn into grumpy old men that bite people.

Chihuahuas only bond to one person.

Huskies and malamutes are a different sub species of dog Canine Lupus Lupus. I had a mal owner tell me this yesterday!

Bitches always become calmer after a litter.

After a bitches second litter her tits always stay saggy

What about poodles bred in France? :D

If you hold a pug upside down their eyes will pop out.

wow I really should stop picking Bert up by his hind legs then! :laugh:

Well it's a scientific fact that dog's are carnivores!

Dogs have teeth and digestive systems almost incapable of digesting or absorbing nutrients from vegetation or grain. (omnivores?)

And their DNA is 99.8% identical to wolves, which are carnivores.

And contrary to popular belief, internationally recognised wolf expert, David Mech, has proven that wolves don't eat the stomach contents of their prey - they shake it out and eat the lining.

That, above. It's scientific fact that the domesticated dog has evolved as such to have teeth that ground vegetables as they - for years and years and years - were fed the scrap food of their humans. Which included vegetables. For some reason now there's this myth that our domesticated dogs can't digest it anymore :laugh: they're going backwards!! Meh, believe what you want!

And it's not exactly a myth but I had a VET ask me, "Maltese come in black don't they?" :rofl: Uhh....no.

And that's a vet myth! Most vets know nothing about our breeds! (except the diseases they get!) Trust me :D :rofl:

Another one relevant to my breed- that all Samoyeds bark all day at nothing. eh?

Edited by Bindii

I'm sure at uni a couple of years ago we covered the fact that dogs are somewhat omniverous, but for the life of me I can't even remember what subject it was under or I'd check out the lecture material. :laugh: