Name Some Dog Myths

When I first got my dobe I was told many things by all the concerned neighbours etc. Firstly that dobes always turn on their handlers - guaranteed. Heard lots of stories of this happening to friends of friends.

Secondly that this was likely to be because of the fact that his brain would continue to grow after his skull finished making him go mental.

I now know it's because he has brown eyebrows...

Desexing will resolve behavioural issues by itself is one that gets me every time.

My sister owns a Papillon and really does believe that it speaks French :)

On the family ones, if you get two puppies from the same litter they will get along and won't fight...

They should watch the chow mix brothers from one of the latest Dog Whisperer episodes.. Both boys, same litter.. You can see where this is going

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can feel a labradores ribs at all, the dog is too thin and needs to become a barrel STAT!

Rover will be pleased to hear this!

"I get more food!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

then again he is a labrador..

"I get a miniscule piece of carrot? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

If you can feel a labradores ribs at all, the dog is too thin and needs to become a barrel STAT!

LOL LOL. :)

My Aussies do this. :(

Ohhh stick/bug/rock/barkchip!! Must eat it before the others can get the chance.

LOL LOL. :)

My Aussies do this. :eek:

Ohhh stick/bug/rock/barkchip!! Must eat it before the others can get the chance.

:(

I can get rover to run through his entire repertoire of tricks...simply by insinuating there may possibly be food in my hand.

Mums standard answer to "how do you keep him so trim?" is, "I don't feed him enough :laugh:"

and on that note.

A dog will only eat till it's not hungry.

If you leave food out for it, he will only eat what he needs.

Rrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhhtttt

hmmmmmm like the time my Kelpie got into the dry dog food. She looked awfully fat and thew up a massive load of dry food and dissapeared (I was concerned that there was that much in her stomach so long after eating- imagining blockage etc). Found her back eating the dry food that she had just made space for by throwing up!! Beat that lab people!!

Myth: Kelpies are crazy, destroy everything, dont cope will with being confined, need 10 hrs of exercise daily and shouldnt be kept in the suburbs.

Myth: that ribs on any dog is a sign that they are anorexic!!

Next to me lie 3 kelpies that have not been for a walk yet today and are all curled up on my bed asleep and will remain that way until i tell them its time to work. And if kelpies didnt cope being confined what the hell are all those farmers doing tethering their dogs or keeping them in runs when they are not working lol!!

"Soft drink bottles full of water will stop dogs peeing on your garden."

Though I don't seem to see it anymore, everyone used to believe this.

I saw it yesterday and had a good giggle as Dante lifted his leg on the tree.

Never heard that before! So you're supposed to put drink bottle full of water in your garden or what?

and on that note.

A dog will only eat till it's not hungry.

If you leave food out for it, he will only eat what he needs.

Rrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhhtttt

hmmmmmm like the time my Kelpie got into the dry dog food. She looked awfully fat and thew up a massive load of dry food and dissapeared (I was concerned that there was that much in her stomach so long after eating- imagining blockage etc). Found her back eating the dry food that she had just made space for by throwing up!! Beat that lab people!!

Myth: Kelpies are crazy, destroy everything, dont cope will with being confined, need 10 hrs of exercise daily and shouldnt be kept in the suburbs.

Myth: that ribs on any dog is a sign that they are anorexic!!

Next to me lie 3 kelpies that have not been for a walk yet today and are all curled up on my bed asleep and will remain that way until i tell them its time to work. And if kelpies didnt cope being confined what the hell are all those farmers doing tethering their dogs or keeping them in runs when they are not working lol!!

:thumbsup: My labs can't beat that..

Though, you know those automatic feeders you get for cats? You fill them up with a few weeks worth of food and your cat will graze?

Yeah. My cat, took him 2 days to eat it all. He was VERY round for the next week.

I like to say I have 2 labradors, and 1 pretend labrador.. the cat :laugh:

Never heard that before! So you're supposed to put drink bottle full of water in your garden or what?

When I was a kid lots of people would have many bottles of water strewn across their lawn/garden. I think the reflection of the water through a clear bottle was supposed to scare the dogs. Though I've also heard that it's because the dog will know it's fresh water and so won't pee or poop there (like saying a dog won't toilet near their bed or food but forgetting that the dog doesn't own that yard and nor can it tell there's water in the bottle).

Edited by molasseslass

Did you know that you can only train dogs in the language from the country they come from!!!

My OH sarcastically told his workmates that we could only train our Akita in Japanese and he only eats rice with soy sauce. They fell for it hook, line and sinker :thumbsup:

Kuma isn't too fond of rice!

Has anyone ever heard the one that if a dog has 'locked' it's jaws onto something the only way you can force it to let go is stick something (ok well the exact something mentioned was a finger) up it's bum? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :welcome:

So wroooong in so many ways. eeewww.

When dogs hump you they are just showing that they love you :thumbsup:

:welcome: obviously................................................

..... :thumbsup:

My friend's Keeshond LOVED my leg. But I blame myself since I was wearing bicycle shorts during these "episodes" and who is responsible for their actions in the presence of spandex?

When dogs hump you they are just showing that they love you :welcome:

:) obviously................................................

..... :thumbsup:

My friend's Keeshond LOVED my leg. But I blame myself since I was wearing bicycle shorts during these "episodes" and who is responsible for their actions in the presence of spandex?

and that, friends, is why I can never go back to the gym :thumbsup: