24 - 30 Hr Flight For My Dog

Bokezu

Can anyone make me feel better by telling me this amount of time in a crate will be ok for a 12 month old dog.

Can't help but worry if he will have adequate water etc.....would love some comments about your dogs travelling long flights and their condition on arrival

Can anyone make me feel better by telling me this amount of time in a crate will be ok for a 12 month old dog.

Can't help but worry if he will have adequate water etc.....would love some comments about your dogs travelling long flights and their condition on arrival

My Swedish import spent 22 hours from Heathrow to Sydney...but had actually spent alot longer at Heathrow due to dreadful weather conditions (plus she had a flight the day before from Sweden to Heathrow. On arrival at quarantine they said she was a little quiet & not wanting to eat BUT by the next day she was a different dog. Absolutely full of beans & eating everything in sight. She never looked back as is a complete wild child :laugh: She was 14 weeks coming in..so I can't comment about an older dog.

Would love to know what anyone has to say as I am considering another import but this time from a Category 4 country which means they can't come in until at least 8 months..

I sent a 4 year old dog with her 1 year old daughter to sweden several years ago. They were crated for 30 hrs. The lady at the other end said they came out of the crates bouncing around, all excited and happy. So no worries or damage done. I have also sent a puppies to France, Finland and America.

I imported to Canada a total of three adult dogs....all were crated no less than 24 hours and all came out of their crates without issue, and in the case of the female, a dry crate!!

There is a funnel put on the crate on the outside to allow water to be added to the crate at any point during transport to ensure that they always have water.

Don't worry to much as we all know that dogs travel around the world on a daily basis.

We all know it's difficult not to worry when your precious one is in flight.

Keep occupied and sending good vibes to you.

I am about to import a puppy from Norway to Perth - puppy will be 12+ weeks of age and boy am I anxious as he will be in a crate for approximately 30 hours :thumbsup:

Now trying to make sure he arrives during working hours in Perth

If the flight has also been planned with a stop over that can help.

Our guys from Belgium did a stop over at one of the Pet centres to get out & about before continuing on

Showdog - did you know somebody in the stop over country or did the exporting company arrange this for you?

I am not sure how we go leaving from a rabies free country and possibly stopping in Amsterdam - waiting to hear from the breeder as to the best possible route to Oz.

If your dog has a stopover at another Cat 2 country, the quarantine facility at the airport will take your dog out, make sure they are feed, watered and toileted.

Our kids stopped in Singapore on the way from Sweden and we were able to call the facility in Singapore and talk to the people about their condition and everything.

There are not too many Category two countries, on the way from Norway, that are authorised to unseal & then reseal your crate. My pup went from Arlanda, Stockholm to Heathrow where it was mandatory that she overnighted. She was taken from the crate, fed, watered & kennelled. As Heathrow is an authorised quarantine station, they were then permitted to reseal as per our quarantine restrictions. The flight from Heathrow to Sydney went via Singapore for refuelling but she was not unloaded from the aircraft nor permitted to be taken out of the crate. The refuelling was less than an hour duration....her total time from Heathrow to Sydney was 22 hours. She was a little sooky upon arrival at Eastern Creek but by the next day was her usual mischieveous self & never looked back.

Thanks I feel better knowing the dogs always arrive in good condition :cheer: ....coming from cat 4 Budapest to Amsterdam to Kualur Lumpur don't think they will unseal the crate, but good to know there will be water replenished!

Thanks I feel better knowing the dogs always arrive in good condition :laugh: ....coming from cat 4 Budapest to Amsterdam to Kualur Lumpur don't think they will unseal the crate, but good to know there will be water replenished!

Hi,

When do we get to see the photos??????? :cheer:

Thanks I feel better knowing the dogs always arrive in good condition :o ....coming from cat 4 Budapest to Amsterdam to Kualur Lumpur don't think they will unseal the crate, but good to know there will be water replenished!

Hi,

When do we get to see the photos??????? :laugh:

I'm going over to visit (Spotswood) on the 2 July as he arrives 29 June and hopefully I can take pics! :cheer:

Yes I can tell you twice mine came from USA ( both 11 months old ) and stopped in NZ then on to Aus, they were cared for very well and arrived in tip top condition, I even got onthe way photos that I requested from the pet carrier1

Ask for photos just to ease your mind, besides remember its in their best interests to look after your dog, they dont need bad publicity

I am about to import a puppy from Norway to Perth - puppy will be 12+ weeks of age and boy am I anxious as he will be in a crate for approximately 30 hours :laugh:

Now trying to make sure he arrives during working hours in Perth

Have they changed the rules Ptolomy? I am bringing over a new dog and I wanst aware new rules they must arrive during work hours? The Qtine staff advised me they will pick them up ?

They charge you more for after hours pickup...a LOT more!!!!!

Thanks Ellz but they told me last year as its gone up to $40 a day fees that was all inclusive of everything, I gather it would be hard to get all landins esecially over seas ones to all coincide with their opening hours lol

This is from the Aqis website regarding Byford Quarantine Station.....

You will not be able to visit your animal at the airport. A contracted courier will collect your animal from the airport.

Animals can only be collected from the airport from Monday to Friday between the hours of 6:00 am and 12:00 midnight, Please contact the station office for further information on collection hours.

Animals will not be received on Australian public holidays or weekends.

To allow for check in procedures and to give your pet time to settle in, we do not allow any visits on the day of arrival.

This is from the Aqis website regarding Byford Quarantine Station.....

You will not be able to visit your animal at the airport. A contracted courier will collect your animal from the airport.

Animals can only be collected from the airport from Monday to Friday between the hours of 6:00 am and 12:00 midnight, Please contact the station office for further information on collection hours.

Animals will not be received on Australian public holidays or weekends.

To allow for check in procedures and to give your pet time to settle in, we do not allow any visits on the day of arrival.

ok well I was very lucky then as mine came in at some ungodly time lol

Thanks Ptolomy