You And I Both Wish!

wouldnt this be amazing to have in melbourne Vic

i mean how hard could it be to find an old barn and spruce it up!

yes people "build it and they will come"

http://www.agilityvision.com/our-facility

why does it seem america can have indoor facilities all over the place but there is a demand for training here in Aus!

this would be a great investment for somebody with a field or barn!

just think your own training facility and you can charge people to use it!

hold your own trials!

why is there such a demand for agility training centres yet nobody is doing anything about it?

I renovated an old potato storage warehouse which was great as it had no support poles to run into during agility! It was 100 feet long and 40 feet wide. I put six inches of dirt on the concrete floor and added a room for a toilet and we were off!!

Why isn't being done here? I'd say because council rules are unbelievably restrictive in regards to insurance and that many urban folks want something right next door and won't drive 30+ minutes to get to the "country". I ran into that in Canada with those living in the closest city which was 45 minutes away and they wouldn't come, but would go to a leaky roofed building which they publically stated they hated, because mine was 'too far away'.

We are used (we as in North America) to having inside reno'd buildings because we have winter and are sick of not being able to train when there is a blizzard happening! Yes, we're that dedicated (or weird) We have less rules when it comes to what you can do with a building on your own property.

Remember, that although a reno to an agility or training building isn't usually much, you still need power for lights (and the lights as well) I sunk a mere 5 grand into my reno and thought I did really well.....To have that much more $$ would have been even better.

At this point, I'm going to have to settle for a fix up of one of the front paddocks here to get going with classes again. No chance of being inside of course, but at least we'll be able to train in our area. Remember the most important part...you have to have someone motivated to start and run....a lot WANT to go train, but they WANT someone else to manage and organize it.

What makes you think no one is doing anything about it! :cry: There are logistical issues involved with organising great venues, having regular classes etc. Its not a simple thing to do. :hug:

There are council issues involved in many areas- getting permits, the expense of permits etc. Its also that many people want to do agility but don't want to pay more than they would at an existing dog club- $5-$10 a class. The $$ associated with the set up of new agility centres mean that class prices often need to be higher than that.

And, in my experience- many people WON'T travel distances to training. :o

Go and price a decent covered arena and you'll find out why people aren't jumping to build them.

We went through the exercise at our club... $80K without lighting. :o That's way beyond the reach of a lot of clubs and the money for private training facilities simply isn't in dog sports like it is in the USA.

Agility entries over there are around $20 a class I believe. More facilities raises the costs.

Over there in a lot of areas they have the incentive that metres of snow outside provides. Here it is feasible to run trials outdoors most of the year.

Cost is the main reason, plus we have the ability to train all year round here if we wanted. Read some of the US training stuff and you'll find references to all kinds of training done inside - people who've worked on things like weaving in their hallway isn't unusual. :o

I would love to have access to something like the above locally, in reality it's a luxury that most cannot afford.

And, in my experience- many people WON'T travel distances to training. :hug:

I know quite a few who do for training that suits them. I would seriously consider up to 2 hours one way if I could find something that would really suit. Obviously it wouldn't be every week but I'd look at fortnightly to monthly.

Thats interesting Jess- i have so many people that complain about travelling 20 minutes and recently had someone complain because our classes were 2 suburbs (maximum 10 minute drive) from them. Maybe demographics have a part to play as well.

Perhaps agility is different because there are so few opportunities to do it- we'll be finding out in the next few months!

Don't worry, Woof... When I get my property there WILL be dog training grounds and an indoor facility... You can use it whenever you want :D

DID EVERYONE SEE- I GOT IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry::cry:

Thats interesting Jess- i have so many people that complain about travelling 20 minutes and recently had someone complain because our classes were 2 suburbs (maximum 10 minute drive) from them. Maybe demographics have a part to play as well.

Perhaps agility is different because there are so few opportunities to do it- we'll be finding out in the next few months!

I've had the same thing, people won't travel 15mins to the next available puppy school class I recommend.

A lot of people from my clinic in Doncaster (almost Nth Balwyn) wouldn't travel to the club I was working at in Kew- too far! :cry:

Don't worry, Woof... When I get my property there WILL be dog training grounds and an indoor facility... You can use it whenever you want :angel:

DID EVERYONE SEE- I GOT IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry::cry:

:D

I've had the same thing, people won't travel 15mins to the next available puppy school class I recommend.

A lot of people from my clinic in Doncaster (almost Nth Balwyn) wouldn't travel to the club I was working at in Kew- too far! :cry:

I think the difference is people probably have choice in the city. There's a puppy school available at so many places and your average pet owner possibly thinks they are doing a pretty good job in even taking their puppy to puppy school, let alone bothering to find and "travel" to a good one.

Out here you don't have much choice at all, you might be lucky to even find one running at the ideal time for your puppy to go. :cry:

You start getting picky about which training place you're going to and you better get used to the idea of travelling... :D

I also think it depends how seriously they take their training and how often you get to compete! I have ditched my old club that was 20minutes away to drive 50minute through peak hr to another club. And I would do the same for agility if it were not on the same night as flyball!!

Flyballers dont have all that many comps so we are more prepared to travel than somone who competes in agility or obedience for example. The people who are very involved in OB and agility will travel vast differences (across australia to compete) so I guess how seriously you take it is the biggest factor. And i guess that is the current level of competition here in australia.......

PS flyball now has matting to have indoor comps for anyone who is thinking about having indoor training areas so dont forget to advertise to flyballers too!!

I absolutely agree it depends how seriously they take their training- but thats part of the problem. If there aren't enough people in a given area that do take their training seriously, a club or business trying to set up something expensive to start like agility, will struggle or have to charge quite alot more.

There's heaps of indoor equestrian arenas around Melbourne and ACT. And probably other capital cities.

And they don't cost much to hire by the hour.

I know one of the ACT ones - she doesn't like loose on her place but I'm sure there are others for hire. And then most of the capital cities have royal and agricultural show grounds with big indoor halls - ie where they have the dog beauty contests, or sheep beauty contests. Wouldn't take much to hire one of those for the day.

These big sheds already exist. It's just a matter of using them.

Check this one out. USA eat your heart out.

http://www.boneopark.com.au/cms-about-us/what-we-offer.phps

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Where i agist my horse they have a big indoor arena for hire- its pretty expensive though! It gives you exclusive use, the cheaper option by the hour is shared use so obviously couldn't take dogs in there! Most of the horse places i know wouldn't be able to hire facilties out exclusively to dogs because then their agisters or clients wouldn't be able to ride there.

Edited by Cosmolo

great replies here i didnt mean to start something though, just was questioning the reasons behind it.

it sounds like it costs a lot of money to begin a club and create an indorr facillity i see this, but surely there are exsisting indoor areas willing to rent out there facilities. i dont know im just sirt of thinking out aloud.

thanks to all who commented was very interesting about the council permits. what does the council have to do with it though?? i mean if its your property? any takers?