How Often Do You Bath Your Puppy?

Hi guys

I've had my lab puppy for almost a week now and she's starting to look a bit dirty and smell a bit :laugh: (She still has that lovely puppy smell as well though :laugh: )

How often do you bath your puppy? And what sort of doggie shampoo do you use?

I have only bathed mine 3 times and he is 5 months old. :laugh: He still retains that warm fuzzy puppy smell but I just look at when his coat is looking a little dirty or feels like he needs a bath. In summer I am sure that will be more often. It takes so long for mine to dry, so for the most part I give them a good brushing and spray some grooming solution on them, which also smells lovely.

I tried about 3 different shampoos but my fave is aloveen as it is so gentle and smells lovely :laugh:

Susan

I use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner.

Emmy gets bathe whenever needed. She has a habit of getting in the shower with me basically every night now though, so once I dry her, I rub in the conditioner throughout her body. She always smells so nice and is very very white.

Although, I wish she stops coming into the shower with me (she knows how to open my shower sliding door herself).

Edited by CW EW

How often are you brushing/combing your new puppy? if you groom her for a couple of minutes everyday , you will find she stays cleaner MUCH longer :laugh: It is also a good bonding/training thing at this age.

I tend to only bath pups if they roll in something nasty.... or are smelling like half chewed meaty bones :laugh: Not often at all!

Mine is 6 months old and has been bathed three times - each because she has been playing in mud :laugh: She gets a brush a few times a week.

Our older boy hasn't been bathed in a few months! He is starting to get a bit whiffy though :laugh:

We use Aloveen also.

Thanks guys :laugh: I'll give her a good brush.

I just googled Aloveen. Do you also use the conditioner, or is that more for long-haired dogs? And can anyone recommend an online retailer for it?

Our BC pup gets a bath about once a month (or two in winter). I use a damp cloth to wipe her face/tummy/paws etc if she has been messing about to avoid a full bath...had to do this almost daily as a young puppy but she cleans herself up pretty well now so I rarely have to intervene. Brushing definitely helps.

We were given a Fuzzyard bath set that hasn't irritated her but have heard good things about Aloveen and plan to try that when we need more.

Hey shebu,

I use aloveen shampoo (don't bother with the conditioner) on my 10 week old lab puppy. She has a 3 baths in 2 weeks. I'm trying to get her used to it early because I know as she gets older she will be spending a lot of time swimming. You can leave the conditioner in though if you do decide to use it and it makes them smell nice :laugh:

I should really brush her more, but it seems a bit pointless as I am used to brushing a medium/long haired dog!

I also use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner, but haven't bathed Katie at all yet. She hasn't needed it.

But she loves water, so I am guessing once she is fully vaccinated and I can take her places she will get pretty grubby.

My JRT's only get bathed when they smell, they're very clean dogs luckily nd probably have about 5 baths a year.

I also use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner, but haven't bathed Katie at all yet. She hasn't needed it.

But she loves water, so I am guessing once she is fully vaccinated and I can take her places she will get pretty grubby.

My JRT's only get bathed when they smell, they're very clean dogs luckily nd probably have about 5 baths a year.

Hey shebu,

I use aloveen shampoo (don't bother with the conditioner) on my 10 week old lab puppy. She has a 3 baths in 2 weeks. I'm trying to get her used to it early because I know as she gets older she will be spending a lot of time swimming. You can leave the conditioner in though if you do decide to use it and it makes them smell nice :laugh:

I should really brush her more, but it seems a bit pointless as I am used to brushing a medium/long haired dog!

Guys I would highly reccommend brushing your lab regularly. Even though they have a short coat and never gets knotted, you will want to brush them anyway, this is one of the best ways to minimise lab 'rugs' in your house. Later on, furminating could come in handy too - it's a metal grooming tool that will really help with getting rid of dead hair. It took my boy a little while to not want to chew/bite his brush but with clicker/treats he got used to it quickly and now loves a brush or 'furmination'.

I favour reasonably frequent baths for pups - not just to clean them but to teach them to accept bathing when they are of size that's reasonably easy to control.

I have never been a fan of Aloveen (makes me fairly unique here :laugh:) I think its of dubious efficacy and overpriced.

I like Plush Puppy and Fidos products but use Groomers EPO shampoo on my dogs these days.

Edited by poodlefan

Poor Elbie had many baths before he was 12 weeks old - he had a dose of ringworm and we had to bathe him in anti-fungal shampoo once a week for a few weeks :laugh: That was awkward because we had to wash him and then let him 'run' with the stuff for 10 - 15 minutes and then rinse it off. Puppy's first instinct is of course to go and roll in the grass when he's wet so after the first bath, we had to find ways to distract him for 10 minutes on the deck - running around to keep him warm etc.

Hey shebu,

Guys I would highly reccommend brushing your lab regularly. Even though they have a short coat and never gets knotted, you will want to brush them anyway, this is one of the best ways to minimise lab 'rugs' in your house. Later on, furminating could come in handy too - it's a metal grooming tool that will really help with getting rid of dead hair. It took my boy a little while to not want to chew/bite his brush but with clicker/treats he got used to it quickly and now loves a brush or 'furmination'.

Hey Mrs T, when do they actually start shedding?

I haven't noticed any shedding so far. I will brush her more regularly now though.

Hey shebu,

Hey Mrs T, when do they actually start shedding?

I haven't noticed any shedding so far. I will brush her more regularly now though.

From memory around 6 months or just after ?? But once they start, they never stop! That's why I reckon getting the brush happening early is a good thing. Also teaches them to be handled in different ways etc.